About the AI worker in Farming Simulator 22...

Dairydeere

Re: About the AI worker in Farming Simulator 22...

Post by Dairydeere »

This is super exciting. This sounds a bit like AutoDrive (one of my favorite automation mods), and the ability to send vehicles across the map is going to help a lot with farming. Curious how Giants has defined where a vehicle can or can't go when pathfinding to the locations. Are they pre-recorded routes, does the worker get a specified area of the map laid out where they can turn, drive, etc.? I'm excited but wondering how the integration would work for modded maps
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

Probably the same way Autodrive works at the moment, allowing you to set up your own route by driving it.

But a video would have been nice just to give an indication of what can be achieved.
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

So cool!

Can’t wait to see it work.

But be prepared for bugs and glitches 😄
Ignorance is bliss
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Post by Stegei »

The ai system doesn't need any work from the map mapper to just basically make it work.
There are various ways the mapper can go in and annotate various things to improve the system and make the ai take more realistic routes.
E.g. by default the ai helper will prefer the traffic system splines over driving over terrain, also bridges need to be annotated specifically. Also each terrain can have attached a certain ai driving cost, so that the ai will prefer routes over painted tarmac or dirt roads over bumpy grass.
There is also the option to disallow the ai to drive through some locations completely (in case there is no physics collision blocking it), like crossing the railroads at any location.

The ai will also try to drive around dynamic objects like other vehicles, bales, etc., but will also stay behind other traffic vehicles/player vehicles when driving on a road (e.g. in case they are waiting at a junction for other vehicles).
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Stegei wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:34 pm The ai system doesn't need any work from the map mapper to just basically make it work.
There are various ways the mapper can go in and annotate various things to improve the system and make the ai take more realistic routes.
E.g. by default the ai helper will prefer the traffic system splines over driving over terrain, also bridges need to be annotated specifically. Also each terrain can have attached a certain ai driving cost, so that the ai will prefer routes over painted tarmac or dirt roads over bumpy grass.
There is also the option to disallow the ai to drive through some locations completely (in case there is no physics collision blocking it), like crossing the railroads at any location.

The ai will also try to drive around dynamic objects like other vehicles, bales, etc., but will also stay behind other traffic vehicles/player vehicles when driving on a road (e.g. in case they are waiting at a junction for other vehicles).
Sounds good, will you able to task a worker to unload a harvester driven by the player of another worker?
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

This is all sounds excellent. Potentially so much more advanced when Stegei explains the complexities and algorithms.

It's so good I can't help but feel there's a "but" coming somewhere.

PS, thanks for your technical explanations in various threads over the last few months Stegei. It's great to hear a developer's take on aspects of the game and removes the need for unnecessary speculation and negativity. *thumbsup*
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

this_is_gav wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:51 pm

PS, thanks for your technical explanations in various threads over the last few months Stegei. It's great to hear a developer's take on aspects of the game and removes the need for unnecessary speculation and negativity. *thumbsup*
Totally agreed!
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Thank you Stegei for bringing clarification on how that works, I’m very excited to see this in FS22!
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Kederk

Post by Kederk »

Thanks for sharing! I'm very much looking forward to doing some cool things with this system!
Stegei wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:34 pm The ai system doesn't need any work from the map mapper to just basically make it work.

Daily Realistic North American Farming Simulator Content!
https://www.youtube.com/KederkFarms
Rohne

Post by Rohne »

so it will basically be kind of a reduced AutoDrive, with internal route calculation comparable to CoursePlay's A* pathfinder. Definitely has much potential, but this will be a topic which we will talk about for years to come.
Will be interesting to see whether/how this is also able to work with one-way routes and backwards driving. Maybe an FS22 AutoDrive can be an extension of this standard helper, if API allows it and AD team wants it.
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

Question is, will the AI do a better job at fieldwork?
Ignorance is bliss
BigAl Farming

Post by BigAl Farming »

This is AWESOME!!

It sounds very similar/based on the AI worker capability that was in FS18 (the mobile app version). Yes that was super simple & pretty basic, but it worked really, really well & was very effective, especially for workers carrying out carting activities.

Loving the addition of this into FS22! Thank you!
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

That's a nice update! Sounds like it is a bit more advanced than I had thought.

Looking forward to seeing some gameplay videos with it in action.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
crash

Post by crash »

If I can set a unload point on the harvester, and a truck/trailer to loop from that point to a storage it would be great:D
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
KCHARRO

Post by KCHARRO »

This news is great ...

As I read the comments, I come to the conclusion that the AI should work similar to that of Cattle & Crops, with some improvements by Giants, and if it allows it (which it surely will), the Modders will be able to make adjustments and improve it even more. plus. What intrigues me the most is how field work will be done, mainly in fields that are not square or rectangular.

In any case, the occasional AI mistake will not be so problematic, since for each game, I always have to get the Courseplay and Autodrive from one or another jam.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a nice addition to FS22.

Thank you Giants for making the FS Series better and better ...