Platinum Edition & Platinum Expansion Coming This November

CoreyTr

Re: Platinum Edition & Platinum Expansion Coming This November

Post by CoreyTr »

Don't be sad because you like farming. Be sad because they're trying to sell everything but farming.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

For anyone who might say that forestry is not part of agriculture, think again. Agriculture, defined by Oxford, is the science or practice of farming, including cultivation of the soil for the growing of crops and the rearing of animals to provide food, wool, and other products. Natural resources (including forestry) is included in agriculture because of this. Giants have the freedom to add whatever they want to the game, and forestry is very much within the realm of farming and has been in Farming Simulator since FS15.

As far as the Platinum Expansion is concerned, I'm somewhat optimistic for what we could see with it. So far, they've confirmed a Pacific Northwest forestry map, a cool-looking Volvo high lift loader, Pfanzelt tractor and crane, John Deere feller buncher, up to a total of 40 vehicles from various brands. They also confirmed new missions, productions, tree types (yay, variety!), and even tree marking spray. I think this expansion has the potential to be a very good DLC. The price is a bit expensive (same price as the game with so much more in it) considering it's only 40 vehicles, albeit the functionalities do sound promising. I guess DLCs from Giants have always been pricey though. I feel the tree physics could use some work. In the limited time I've worked with forestry, the logs felt hollow and plastic-like. So hard to pick up off the ground and keep a hold of in the grapple. If Giants could push an update that gave the tree physics an overhaul, without causing any major problems with the game, I would be extremely pleased with the direction they're taking this DLC.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Yep.. I agree Dairydeere. This might get me to do forestry than just make the tree's go poof....
Playing TVTOF
playing on a Good Old PS4
CoreyTr

Post by CoreyTr »

It's great to be optimistic, and that you look forward to buying the DLC for the price of a full game. I'll stick with the free maps and equipment from modhub.
punchi

Post by punchi »

CoreyTr wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:24 am It's great to be optimistic, and that you look forward to buying the DLC for the price of a full game. I'll stick with the free maps and equipment from modhub.
Where do you get a full game for 20 €/$?
Laughinggravy

Post by Laughinggravy »

punchi wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:34 am
CoreyTr wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:24 am It's great to be optimistic, and that you look forward to buying the DLC for the price of a full game. I'll stick with the free maps and equipment from modhub.
**Link Removed**
punchi

Post by punchi »

Laughinggravy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:51 am
**Link Removed**
And now from some serious key sellers :biggrin2:
falino

Post by falino »

Zero76Gaming wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:17 pm
falino wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:39 pm Looks like we won't get Volvo trucks, so a big no-no for me, since i only remove trees with the "Tree-B-Gone " mod tool to allow my vehicles and tools to do farming without getting wrapped around trees.
Then why do volvo theirself say they bring volvo-trucks to the game?
No other announcment has mentioned Volvo trucks, only wheel loaders...
Laughinggravy

Post by Laughinggravy »

punchi wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:00 am
Laughinggravy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:51 am

**Link Removed**
And now from some serious key sellers :biggrin2:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B097YJYY18/ ... e=df0&th=1
Is Amazon serious enough for you buy it used £8.18 which is about what it's currently worth.
punchi

Post by punchi »

Its like every used item (which games are after a certain time). They will drop in price and will get sales. Nothing new about it i guess?
Laughinggravy

Post by Laughinggravy »

Yep correct they were giving FS19 away at one bit and at a guess 22 will probably be the same but Corey was also correct the base game can be bought for less than the Platinum Expansion which is a surprise as it's only 8 months old.
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

As mentioned earlier, if the log physics aren't updated and fixed, this will be a big ole fail of a Platinum edition.

Changes that are needed:
- Collision needs to match the visual of the tree, no random collision limbs on a bare trunk
- Trees need some squish so that grapples and clamps work OR the system needs to be smart enough to figure out what the player wants to do and grab the trees as desired
- Ground needs some softness so that grapples can get under trees
- Controls need rework
- Processors need to be able to pick up trees off the ground
- Non-pine trees need the most work

Snowrunner does tree loading better than FS and it still isn't something I would want to do it for hours on end.

I like forestry, but I'm skeptical that they'll get this right as I think forestry has some core engine issues that they can't easily solve.
Laughinggravy

Post by Laughinggravy »

If it needs all the changes you've listed, I'd say there isn't a cat in hells chance of them getting it right.
CoreyTr

Post by CoreyTr »

Laughinggravy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:33 pm If it needs all the changes you've listed, I'd say there isn't a cat in hells chance of them getting it right.
That's a safe statement.

If they didn't bother with forestry or production chains, it would have given them time to complete the farming aspect of Farming Simulator.
There are a lot of things that should have been finished before adding new features, which also weren't finished.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Forestry is farming and production chains is the next step. Plus, production chains was huge requested item.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.