Let's ask the hard questions about FS19

j_maybury

Re: Let's ask the hard questions about FS19

Post by j_maybury »

DirectCedar wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:26 pm Fieldwork textures are already multi-directional on all graphics settings above Low on PC. I take it the console version does not support this?
Are you trying to tell me that the in-game maps have multi-directional ground texturing??? If you are then you are wrong!
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

j_maybury wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:29 am
cmdrbyron wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:10 pm @ OP - have you considered that maybe these questions are not being asked writ-large for a reason? Many replies have offered rationalizations, some have sought clarification (in an effort to support you).

would it have killed them to have added multi-ground texturing so that the furrows travel in the same line as the plow???
I do not think you truly understand the nature of your questions, let alone the rationale behind any answers that have been or may be offered. Sometimes compromises need to be made, and this is likely one of them. It was already a leap from 1 or 2 directional textures, to the 8 we have now (every 45 degrees, albeit implemented by using 4 directions and mirroring them). Have you considered the implications of increasing that further, and then extending it across a large number of 1m x 1m cells (the current ground texture mapping resolution)? I do have a sneaking suspicion that you also consider that to be "too large" in resolution, and would like it to be at the sub-millimetric level (pardon my exaggeration).

You may claim to be serving as "devil's advocate", under the pretenses that no one is "willing" to "ask the hard questions", but with every post, it seems like you are less interested in objective conversation, and increasingly desperate to be acknowledged as the "saviour" of the franchise...
So you think this is some sort of crusade that I am on, to win some brownie points, do you? Like your good self, I have also played the old vector graphic games in my youth and got a great amount of fun in doing so, and that's because the games, even though they were vector graphics, they were extremely immersive, All I want out of this is a good game to play, that keeps the immersion alive, but furrows that go off in a different direction to the plow kill that immersion stone dead. And as for this to be an impossible task, ask Bullet Bill how he can manage to do it on all of his maps he makes! It does not seem that impossible for him.
I mean bullet bill is making a map, giants are making a game...
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Huh.

I just tried on Goldcrest Valley, and the field texture changes in eight directions behind me as I plough and cultivate all over the place. I suggest that eight is multi.

I suspect we are having some sort of communication breakdown here that I am not catching.

Or possibly it's the internet and people like to argue.
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

Hmm, maybe he's playing on PC with the graphics settings set to low. The ground textures don't change directions when set to low graphics, they start changing on Medium graphics. I play on a Custom Very High, custom as in... Extra Mirrors, Realistic Beacons and tweeked draw distance, etc... but, I did flip to low one time just out of curiosity. Twas the 1st thing I noticed, apart from the awful bright red matte paint job on the Case IH tractors. Ugh, I never left a graphics setting so fast...
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

For example... Goldcrest Valley, Field 14. If ye are on the PC playing with "low" graphics settings. Say you are plowing. The furrows will run from Side to Side regardless of direction you are going.
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

What BulletBill has done on his map, is increase the number of orientations available to align textures, which is different from what I thought you are/were asking for. I believe he has employed 5 or 10 degree steps, vice the 45 employed by Giants, and there is a level of effort associated with implementing this level of granularity. This same logic also applies to the A.I. Helpers (default, not A.I. extension), where they follow the same vectors. It can create challenges on the gameplay side, such as when I turn a worker loose on a large rectangular field, only to find out I wasn't within the angular tolerance for them to run parallel to the edge of the field, and end up with them travelling ever-so-slightly off, missing some spots, and creating issues for the workers when they are near the corners of the fields (because their detection threshold is +/- 90 degrees).
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

DirectCedar wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:22 am Huh.

I just tried on Goldcrest Valley, and the field texture changes in eight directions behind me as I plough and cultivate all over the place. I suggest that eight is multi.

I suspect we are having some sort of communication breakdown here that I am not catching.

Or possibly it's the internet and people like to argue.
We have had eight directional Textures since FS13 if not further back than that, and eight textures are not good enough, and there is no way I would call that Multi-texturing.
Anyway, this is a moot point, as by 2021 it will probably be a Dynamic ground cover.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

cmdrbyron wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:31 pm What BulletBill has done on his map, is increase the number of orientations available to align textures, which is different from what I thought you are/were asking for. I believe he has employed 5 or 10 degree steps, vice the 45 employed by Giants, and there is a level of effort associated with implementing this level of granularity. This same logic also applies to the A.I. Helpers (default, not A.I. extension), where they follow the same vectors. It can create challenges on the gameplay side, such as when I turn a worker loose on a large rectangular field, only to find out I wasn't within the angular tolerance for them to run parallel to the edge of the field, and end up with them travelling ever-so-slightly off, missing some spots, and creating issues for the workers when they are near the corners of the fields (because their detection threshold is +/- 90 degrees).
Why use Default when AI Extensions is far better?
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

The A.I Vehicle Extension Mod was not the subject of the discussion, so I opted to explicitly identify that I was not considering it in my response (because I know it exists, and addresses some of the issues we are discussing).

I often do use A.I. Extension, and experience similar issues when not using circular mode. Additionally, it [A.I. Vehicle Extension] is not available to console players, so I was opting for a more objective stance, considering the "lowest-common-denominator" (that which affects the largest number of variables). We need to remain cognizant of all different variations between hardware/software (the good ol' "PC v Console", nevermind cheap/budget v high-end PC hardware) play styles (easy v. hard, short v. long sessions, etc...), and individual players (such as those who can/want to learn on their own v those that do not/can not)
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

j_maybury wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:13 pm We have had eight directional Textures since FS13 if not further back than that, and eight textures are not good enough, and there is no way I would call that Multi-texturing.
Anyway, this is a moot point, as by 2021 it will probably be a Dynamic ground cover.
Well I mean having it change in 8 different directions is multi-texturing, how many do you even want? Every single degree?
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Specialt

Post by Specialt »

New Questions...

1) Will the AI have new functionality to allow for offloading the cart with a hired worker?
2) Will they remove difficulty levels and instead just use the new modes in lieu of that?
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

^^1) No
2) No Idea
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Lostfarmer6474

Post by Lostfarmer6474 »

OP has some valid points actually. Background looks like on some modded maps made by one person.
And I hope traffic will go with real speed limit on different section of the road, not like some old grandma is driving 18 miles in hour every where. Looks like it is little thing but kills vanilla maps for me. When tractor with huge trailer passes cars on the road it is a joke.
fcdrifter13

Post by fcdrifter13 »

j_maybury wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:14 am
Earnest Pea wrote:
You're taking "expert" opinion from a guy running a Condor seeder at 50 kph? He says that 19 will have no better performance than 17 and you won't be able to run at 1440 or better (I'll assume he's talking resolution and means 1440p). I run 17 at 2160p on high (I can actually run it at very high but noticed the occasional hiccup). My install is currently using more than one core (6 threads). I'll take what I know to be true over hearsay from someone I don't know.
It is clearly showing in the bottom left corner that the CPU maxes out at 25% usage on a quad-core chip, what he is driving has no relevance to the outcome. If you can't handle facts don't bother to comment, can you even prove the game is running on 6 threads or is that what you have running in the background? Either way, I would like to know the true answer.
His CPU is simply weak and is playing on who knows what optimized map and with what mods. I have a ryzen 1700 and single core performance is poor and i play it ok except for certain optimized maps. He goes on to talk about his graphics card like its a monster or something but doesnt realize that screen res and physics rendering are two separate parts of the game CPU threading and output has little to do with graphics scaling. I run the game on high settings with a bit lower draw distance than normal, record at 50k bitrate, and am not having the troubles that he is having. There are too many varibles that he does not take into account for his poor performance but wont talk about the fact that the i7 4790k was released in 2014 and has far lower single core performance than a modern 4 core chip.

Edit.

now that I think about it, I never had FPS issues with my i5 4440 at 3.2ghz and i upgraded from it to ryzen. So yes he has other issues somewhere else that he doesnt want to fix.
Survival Start of The Calm Lands. Currently have built homes for our workers, so we actually get workers.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... H-DmlmlDQT
fcdrifter13

Post by fcdrifter13 »

Also what about Multi Terrain Angle doesnt exsist?

looks kinda real to me, and there is even a thread about how to add it to any map on this forum its pinned.
viewtopic.php?f=895&t=103798
Survival Start of The Calm Lands. Currently have built homes for our workers, so we actually get workers.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... H-DmlmlDQT