Pigs Profitable in Seasons mode?

FarmerJimbob

Re: Pigs Profitable in Seasons mode?

Post by FarmerJimbob »

I’m perfectly calm thanks, just trying to have an objective thread here in which people can back up their claims when they offer an opposing perspective. Reallogger says changes have been made for the next release and he’s not even sure that will come to consoles. I’m talking about the here and now. My point has been stated several times for clarification, you choose to ignore it to be deliberately antagonistic.
Oneblock

Post by Oneblock »

You make money doing pigs. You can make more by selling the raw materials. However, variety being the spice of life and the game a sandbox. There is no need to be combative in a chat.
lefe1

Post by lefe1 »

You think people that raise pigs IRL make money..NO....( I've should of said they don't get rich doing it. they make just enough to live on, mybe)... and this is a game. you guys act like that the money you make in a video game you can cash it out and take it to the bank "for real" HAHA that's makes me laugh. it you don't want to raise pigs don't do it if you think your losing money. if raising pig in real life made you all kinds of money every farmer would have pigs but they don't because you don't get rich raising pigs. and I play the game to have fun that's why it has a rating of E for everyone, and remember it's not real if you lose money. So just enjoy playing the game the way you want to play the game and have fun doing it.
Last edited by lefe1 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

Spot on Lefe, you still make money with pigs but not as much as selling crops direct ( in seasons ) the thing with this game is that it does get repetitive if all you do is sow and harvest crops. The more diverse you are the less you will get bored
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Pig farmers don’t make money? I don’t think they raise them just so you can have your breakfast bacon and eggs. Of course they make money. All farming is a struggle IRL but it’s still viable financially. That’s beside the point anyway, the thread was started just to get an idea of the viability of raising pigs with seasons vs the vanilla game. A perfectly innocent and valid question on a forum about Farming Simulator 17, the game. I already said if it’s fine if it isn’t hugely profitable as it provides diversity in the game but I was curious to know the level of profitability since it takes a lot of farmland to grow enough crop to feed pigs with seasons.

Making money and making a profit is not the same - selling used machinery makes me money...
Nigelbilt

Post by Nigelbilt »

The level of profitable is that it is profitable. Which means you make a profit. You make less profit than selling the crops directly.

If you actually read realloggers post, it says they have increased profitability with every update since release. Hence saying pigs make no profit is not true. Saying pigs make LESS profit than other stuff is true.
Last edited by Nigelbilt on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Princeguardian

Post by Princeguardian »

Okay on woodshire-hard-seasons-3 days and am about to get into pigs. Gonna start with 10 but how much do they eat per day? Im not as worried about profit but dont want to feed them for the first 1/2 of winter and then have them all die off. Also if you extend days does pig food stay the same or do they eat the same amount in 6 day season as 3 day season.
Guil

Post by Guil »

I'm nearly sure that the food is averaged out over the year so if you play 3 day or 9 day they will eat the same amount over the year.
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

Guil is right. Food is averaged so annual amounts stay the same no matter what season length you use.

With a 3 day season length, 1 pig now eats 180 liters per day.
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

lefe1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:34 pm You think people that raise pigs IRL make money..NO....( I've should of said they don't get rich doing it. they make just enough to live on, mybe)... and this is a game. you guys act like that the money you make in a video game you can cash it out and take it to the bank "for real" HAHA that's makes me laugh. it you don't want to raise pigs don't do it if you think your losing money. if raising pig in real life made you all kinds of money every farmer would have pigs but they don't because you don't get rich raising pigs. and I play the game to have fun that's why it has a rating of E for everyone, and remember it's not real if you lose money. So just enjoy playing the game the way you want to play the game and have fun doing it.
To be fair if the economy side of the operation isn't sound then we don't really have a simulator game that models a farming business. In no way shape or form is profit making $1 into 90 cents.
W1der

Post by W1der »

The balance of the "economy" has been discussed over and over again ...

I stopped trying to understand it ... as you can not really compare it with "IRL terms".
At some point I realized that 1 "visual cow" in this game might as well only be symbolic and in the economy it might represent several animals.
This probably goes for yield vs field size and so on.
If you change one parameter to make it "more realistic" you need to change them all to "balance" the economy.

I can only imagine the complexity to translate all these parameters from the base game to the "seasons version".
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Derplodactyl

Post by Derplodactyl »

I generally don't bother with them. Sheep are the way forward, and the slurry trading mod makes it so cheap, there's no reason to need them on my small farm :)
- James G | Derplodactyl (The Jaggler)
- Giants Ambassador 🇬🇧
- PC & Xbox One

PC Specs:
-AsRock B550M Extreme4 Steel Legend
-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
-EVGA RTX 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
-Corsair 32GB DDR4 @3600MHz
-1TB Samsung 970 Evo Pro M.2 + 256gb NVMe Storage
Dexzilla

Post by Dexzilla »

I am just uploading the start of a play through to test exactly this out. It looks tight but possible. On Goldcrest valley with the starter fields in seasons you keep about 30 pigs, in vanilla the same land keeps 300 going!!
Vid is uploading will be at https://youtu.be/OP6RzxjwQIA

my tuppence of a seasons tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ8eCdLKH0Y&t=25s

Oh, and play nice people!!!!!!!!!
XBOX YouTube:
Farming Simulator19 XBOX Cow Care and Cattle Calculations https://youtu.be/1LE5vF1b5v8
Farming Simulator19 XBOX Basic Forestry: The Wood is Good https://youtu.be/uKG1fEsLujs
Let's Play FS19 XBOX Ravenport HARD Pig Farm Pt:11 BAD MOTHER-TRUCKER https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI84FSCccHU&t=89s
Dexzilla

Post by Dexzilla »

Unless this happens, then things gets 'rekt' as they say.

So always skip night, this glitch triggers by not skipping night ( I wandered off to cook for my pesky kids and stuff) and will take at least as many days to fix (each day will go back to its proper price as you enter it) as you skipped nights too. I warned ya!
XBOX YouTube:
Farming Simulator19 XBOX Cow Care and Cattle Calculations https://youtu.be/1LE5vF1b5v8
Farming Simulator19 XBOX Basic Forestry: The Wood is Good https://youtu.be/uKG1fEsLujs
Let's Play FS19 XBOX Ravenport HARD Pig Farm Pt:11 BAD MOTHER-TRUCKER https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI84FSCccHU&t=89s
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

I don't remember if you said if it represented actual prices or just seasons economy page is inaccurate. In my play through its showing prices 20% higher then what is actually happening for that season period. A goofy thing is I noticed barley as 20% lower then what happened. I just stopped using it and go of historical high periods. Its working out fine for me now.