New to farming? Ask questions here:

Hairy Bob

Re: New to farming? Ask questions here:

Post by Hairy Bob »

As far as I know, there are only the in game maps, and 2 from black sheep modding (old stream farm and the valley the old farm) which are seasons ready, on consoles.
Before seasons was available for consoles, maps would be rejected for having a seasons mask, so now console players have to wait and see which map makers will update their maps.
I'd say either of Giant's maps should be as easy a start as you're likely to get, as they are designed with first-time players in mind, and have helpful hints dotted around to give you some guidance.
The majority of mod maps that I've played tend to assume that you know what you're doing, and leave you to figure out where things are, and how to work any additional features they may have put in.
As for your other question about dlc, I would try to get at least 100 hours out of the base game before spending on any additional content, but that's just me. I have a small budget for gaming, and have over 1500 hours between FS 15 and 17, and haven't bought a single dlc. The only thing I'm tempted by is the square bale wrapper in the Kuhn pack, but it's not worth the money IMO. That said, if you like the look of it, and the sound of the reviews, and you can easily afford it, then why not?
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
NateS

Post by NateS »

Gold Crest Valley is probably the easiest for new players. Mostly square fields with large enough turn around areas. Good for hired workers. Not much for surprised or things that are difficult to figure out on GCV. Also, roads and paths are a good size/width for driving or maneuvering tractors and trailers.
PC & PS4
Poppyfarmaston

Post by Poppyfarmaston »

bigsuirlife wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:55 pm I'm really new to the game, just play yesterday for about 3 hrs and i love it!
Can someone help me to find an easy map (season ready) to improve my skill?

note: need to buy DLC?

ty
G'day bigsuirlife. I too am new! I've clocked in over a hundred hours in next to know time at all. We all learn at a different pace so don't worry if it takes longer than others. This is the place to ask ... so ask whatever question you have. I'm a slow learner, but once I get that hang of something I'm pretty good at offering others assistance.

An easy MAP you ask. That's a fair question. Best I can say as a newbie is to play the first one that comes up. It seem fairly flat which is good for tractors early on seeing as they are not as powerful as the more expensive ones. This means we can haul quite a bit for a long duration of the game. Of course others out there might know of better map options other than the first one straight of the bat, but from one newbie to another I don't think you can go wrong with → Gold Crest Valley :)

It seems to have a little of everything which is a good thing for those of us still learning. I don't think the learning stops.

Do the missions close by to your farm. I do like to do a few missions where the field size is large but I am making a point of doing the fields close to me each time I do other fields. The more times we are able to prep a field the more harvesting missions we get and thus the more $$$ we make from quick missions. I think we also get a cheaper purchasing price on the land we work as well. Quick and easy missions works best for me. Some of the larger missions are quicker with larger equipment and if longer in time can be of more benefit with the pay off. Takes a little time to work out which missions offer more than others but is worth considering; especially when you want to make a quick buck to pay of running costs. Is also a good way to learn new equipment and test a few ways of doing things.

The below I have found a must! ... not so much just creating a new field but the equipment to do it opens up so many other possibilities (especially in hard mode in seasons) ... I think it's all in the knowing how to use multiple equipment for multiple jobs across the spectrum ... something like that: [especailly eraly in the game and gives much more scope to do other things whilst the plants do their thing
Creative New Fields. Set up cost is ($8600 if you use your existing tipper OR add an additional $1900 to that number if you the larger tipper TDK1600 like I am using atm) and be be acquired slowly or in one hit. Most parts are relatively cheap Each piece of equipment can be used for making money in other tasks and quite necessary. Some of the equipment can be leased buy imo is cheap enough and something I used regular to warrant owning. Leasing is a good way though for more expensive equipment in various situations.

1.Purchase of a chainsaw (relatively cheap - $1000) (where removing those trees would open up space on your existing farm to create a new field or even join two together) This is a good alternative when not having enough money to purchase land early on. I am playing on hard and decided to get more equipment than buying up land. This way I can do a lot of things in between the seasons (I explain soon enough) Doing missions is a great way to pay the running costs so don't worry about that. We can also do maintenance in seasons as well.

2. Customize your Tractor so it can fit a front loader to it. I learned this is a must early on. Lifting things with a tractor will require customizing it with the correct fittings so you can attach a front loader and the host of additional parts need to do specif jobs. The cost is $1800 which can be quickly offset by doing a mission on a large filed or a couple of quick ones close to home (The latter I prefer doing most)

Here is a link to help you achieve this vital step → How To Attach A Front Loader | FS17 Tutorials

3. Purchase a Log Fork (in front loader category) Cost is $800 I wish I did this early on as I was trying to use bail spike forks which double as pallet forks. Trust me when I say using a Log Fork to pick up Logs is WAY WAY easier. :) I am now making more money cutting down trees, although be careful where you take them from and how many you cut down. I need to research forestry since I have hit winter in seasons now. Sustainability and regrowth is on my mind with regard to that.

4.Purchase a stump grinder. Under the category Forestry. Cost $5000. Be sure to remove stumps as you cut down the trees. Finding the stumps later on can be a real pain and if not removed can present to be a problem when ploughing the ground later on.

5. Transporting - Tipper/Trailer and or Propper Log Trailer? I actually started using the UTE/car buy cutting the pieces into smaller manageable bits that I could lift with my hands but then found this to be way too much work. I then started using the Tipper that I already had - (DB8) then upgraded to the TDK1600 Tipper which I use for collection during harvest. The TDK1600 can transport two large trees comfortably with the Holond and will get you about $6000 - + when selling at the mill. I am thinking of getting two of these as they can be hooked together. Hooking two together (as someone else suggested) Can allow me to disconnected when the goings gets a bit too much for my cheap tractor (elevations and so on) - I am now thinking of leasing a Log Trailer - (aka Timber Runner found in the forestry category) and will see if I can haul it with my holand ... I doubt it though. Will be fun to find out though. hehe.

Anyways ... I thought the above may help you early on. I know having that equipment has really helped me in a lot of other areas as well as now a quick we to get some funds other than just doing mission (which I highly recommend you do to learn and keep the till $$$ above board. :)

Last thought on Maps ... Again just as one newbie to another ... I am finding the one that comes with the game straight of the bat more than adequate to learn on. I think the context of 'easy' as in finding easy maps is more to do with us newbie learning the finer points of the game. Early on this may seem overwhelming, but going too easy will also make it boring. Just keep in mind things about the time it takes to travel from one part of the map to another and what you can do along the way.

Example ... before heading out from your own farm ... ask yourself:

Did I do the missions close to home? (having three fields close by ready to harvest after cultivating, sowing, fertilizing is a quick way to make $$$ fast ... the more mission you do in one spot the quicker you get those harvesting missions that pay top $$$)

Do I need fuel?
Saving a trip on fuel saves time and money.

Am I close to a large field for a mission that offers more money (I am big on doing missions when running in the red $$$ just one mission here and there keeps me going - I also enjoy doing the missions! Learning more things)

WHAT DO I WANT TO DO TODAY? If your close to the shop perhaps either purchasing or leasing something you might need for the day would be easier to do if you happen to be in the shop area ... takes a long time moving large vehicles and heavy equipment. Think ahead ... I even do missions on the way back to the farm pulling over with equipment I have purchased and getting fuel along the way. lol ...

Multitask between cutting down a few trees after selling from your tipper. If you know your taking the tipper to sell then take the Log fork with you and make some extra $$$ on the way back.

Srry to overwhelm ... just thinking out loud for myself as well. I am playing on hard Using the seasons mod which I think should be in the base of the game ... Perhaps on option with sandbox mode. :)

I explain my thoughts on seasons and why I am enjoying it so much. It is teaching my so much more about this game ... is kind of forcing me to play all the elements as imo as I think the game should be played. That said ... Sand Box mode is also a great way to play.

Do the missions ... re do tutorials & above all →Read the Help Guide In Game by pressing Escape and scrolling across the options till you find the help page ... also use the TAB (Top Left Right Hand Corner of screen when on the Help Page which is one click to the left from the Map Overview Page) which is typically entitled Farming Basics - I did not know but cycling this tab brings up detailed information on all other aspects of the game ... even seasons if you have that installed.

I only found this out writing this info up for you! hehe ... now I am glad I did. I started suing the in game help after it was suggest to me in here ... just be sure to cycle through that tab I mention as so much more help is in there as well.

All in all - KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!! It's easy for others to tell us to watch videos and or go play some more ... much easier than spelling out words that might to more to assist. That said, I do find watching the videos helpful ... some ... not all. Just keep asking in here at any rate. I will be doing so myself. I am dyslexic, Asperger, adhd ASD, slow learner and all that ... But once I know something I'll be sure to give back.

It's an AWESOME game ... that's for sure.

Hope you got something from somewhere in all that. Have a good one.
~Dave. ;)

PS - YES I found buying ALL the DLC helps. :) (but not necessary) Mods are something else to consider ... was not a fan of mods till I discovered seasons!!!

edit ... DO A LITTLE OF EVERYTHING ... avoid just mowing grass to make money like I did. I watched a youtube video on how to make money on your first day. This set me up to start playing the game all wrong. Since playing seasons I have learned how to play the game. Doing a little of everything I find makes the game so much more enjoyable. Cutting down a tree here and there, purchasing a few animals and tending to their needs. Doing some missions to learn and keep afloat. There are more little things I am discovering each day. My point is just don't get bogged down on playing one way or concentrating on just one thing.
Boilers2001

Post by Boilers2001 »

Do mods cost money? My son got a PS 4 and the FS 17 platinum game. He wants to download mods but want to make sure they don't cost money to add.

Thanks
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

Nope, mods are totally free to download. DLCS do cost money though
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
gilroy222

Post by gilroy222 »

Got a question for the pig and dairy farmers on here. I farm myself but have never been into livestock so have never found the answer to this. In real life, what makes you decide whether to spread or to inject slurry? Is it simply to prevent runoff in the winter time or is there other reasons?

Thanks in advance
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Doesn't it depend on the soil?
Boilers2001

Post by Boilers2001 »

Is it possible to switch to internal view on a PS4 when driving equipment?
FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

^^ Yes. Push right stick in.
Tryin to make a 9700 Ford mod, one of these days
#LimeGreenPower
Playin on PC in Tennessee!
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whovever shall believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"
Old Iron Best Iron.
PM me for a Discord link.
bigsuirlife

Post by bigsuirlife »

Poppyfarmaston wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:16 pm
bigsuirlife wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:55 pm I'm really new to the game, just play yesterday for about 3 hrs and i love it!
Can someone help me to find an easy map (season ready) to improve my skill?

note: need to buy DLC?

ty
G'day bigsuirlife. I too am new! I've clocked in over a hundred hours in next to know time at all. We all learn at a different pace so don't worry if it takes longer than others. This is the place to ask ... so ask whatever question you have. I'm a slow learner, but once I get that hang of something I'm pretty good at offering others assistance.

An easy MAP you ask. That's a fair question. Best I can say as a newbie is to play the first one that comes up. It seem fairly flat which is good for tractors early on seeing as they are not as powerful as the more expensive ones. This means we can haul quite a bit for a long duration of the game. Of course others out there might know of better map options other than the first one straight of the bat, but from one newbie to another I don't think you can go wrong with → Gold Crest Valley :)

It seems to have a little of everything which is a good thing for those of us still learning. I don't think the learning stops.
.....ty for a long answer :D
Guil

Post by Guil »

G'day bigsuirlife. I too am new! I've clocked in over a hundred hours in next to know time at all.

That's one long reply :lol: ever think of writing guides for games?
NateS

Post by NateS »

Or reviews? I like to read multiple reviews from the pros and novices before I buy a game. I like to check forums and things too. Nothing worse than getting stuck with a bad game!
PC & PS4
Scarci

Post by Scarci »

On the Cornbelt map how do you use the switches to change tracks and also how do you add and remove train cars
SimulatedSphere

Post by SimulatedSphere »

NateS wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:06 pm Or reviews? I like to read multiple reviews from the pros and novices before I buy a game. I like to check forums and things too. Nothing worse than getting stuck with a bad game!
Actually , nothing worse being stuck with me angry in a phonebox :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
XBOX ONE S ( I don't have limited power :biggrin2: )| FS17 | UK
Just waiting for FS19!
I play with as much realism as possible :wink3:
XBOX ONE S ¦ On Estancia / Sussex Farm / Oakfield |FS13 , FS15 , FS17
Thank you to all modders out there , the game would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Thank you to Giants as my Xbox would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Poppyfarmaston

Post by Poppyfarmaston »

Guil wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:56 pm
G'day bigsuirlife. I too am new! I've clocked in over a hundred hours in next to know time at all.

That's one long reply :lol: ever think of writing guides for games?
Noted, I will refrain from responding in the future.
My apologies. :lol:

I usually reply like that when I am aiming to teach myself. I thought about writing a guide ... but mostly for myself. I actually started a Youtube channel specifically for that reason but not much on it atm.
Last edited by Poppyfarmaston on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.