Poplars?

Patrick73

Poplars?

Post by Patrick73 »

Does anyone bother with these? I did in the first week of release but the yield was terrible...has it been improved through patches?
FearEile

Re: Poplars?

Post by FearEile »

I planted these in that tiny field in front of the farm on Old streams but as you said the yield was brutal. Replanted and just left it there the second time. This was pre 1.4 patch.
I suppose they had to nerf it otherwise it would just be a gimme for money.
Eggsbox: FearEile
MeeaaW

Post by MeeaaW »

I better plant 20 trees (1 palette) for 40$, get 500K wood chips... and.. wait just for price :D way cheaper than poplars to plant etc.. and no need to get equipment what you will not use elsewhere...
jaro76

Post by jaro76 »

I do poplars, but about to stop (i got silage running anyway = got harvester, only purchase was header).
A few things i have noticed:
- yield is affected by plowing(?) and fertilizing. i can understand fert, but planter is a plow itself.
- takes 2 ingame days to grow (on fast growing)
- you need to plant 'double rows'. plant once with worker, then do the same in gaps, to be at least a bit efficient
- planting is time consuming (in Lossberg i need to look after AI, plus the above)
- you will have better yield from trees on the same area, but trees takes 10 ingame days to grow, and you need wood chipper
- i used to pile chips at woodmill, and use conveyor so sell all with high price (selling 1-2M liters at once - same mechanics as silage)
PS4
Guil

Post by Guil »

You can't fertilise poplars.
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

I think they were put in for variety more than anything which suits me just fine.. I have a touch of the old ADD (oh look, its a squirrel) and as a result I have a very short lived attention span.. so I prefer really small maps where I can literally shift from task to task and not have repeat the same thing too often so for me the poplars add a "new" task and a small variety to my equipment as well as an additional crop type (I say small variety as I usually end up with a forage harvester anyway).. its not the most profitable thing in the world but later in the game it gives me something fresh to do every so often and works well on the smaller fields (I really don't recommend doing it on larger fields.. I tried lol)
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
jaro76

Post by jaro76 »

Guil wrote:You can't fertilise poplars.
Well... You can hire helper to do it (typically helper wont start if you are doing something against game engine). It changes status on the map with each step. And moreover, yield is different. It is actually double.
I did test it before last update, so maybe it has changed since.
PS4
leifege640

Post by leifege640 »

I just got finished planting fields 22 and 23 on GCV with poplars. No double planting, just using 2.5m to 3m rows and leaving spaces in between, it appears they do that IRL. Took me over 2 hours to plant both the fields with two planters running. I guess we will see what the yield will be like in the end. I don't really care about what the costs will be or the price in the end as long as I make something.
PC player of FS19, FS17, FS15, and FS13
Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full.
Computer Specs in spoiler.
Intel i3-6100 3.7GHz CPU
Gigabyte Radeon RX 470 w/ 4GB of GDDR5 VRAM
8GB of DDR4 RAM
Windows 10
275GB SSD + 1TB HHD
How to post your log:viewtopic.php?f=827&t=88665
ErwinR55

Post by ErwinR55 »

PrincessJessi84 wrote: (oh look, its a squirrel)
Squirrels, squirrels are not so good, they taste like goldfish :this:
PS4 player
MeeaaW

Post by MeeaaW »

PrincessJessi84 wrote:I think they were put in for variety more than anything which suits me just fine.. I have a touch of the old ADD (oh look, its a squirrel) and as a result I have a very short lived attention span.. so I prefer really small maps where I can literally shift from task to task and not have repeat the same thing too often so for me the poplars add a "new" task and a small variety to my equipment as well as an additional crop type (I say small variety as I usually end up with a forage harvester anyway).. its not the most profitable thing in the world but later in the game it gives me something fresh to do every so often and works well on the smaller fields (I really don't recommend doing it on larger fields.. I tried lol)
exactly, the more different @crops you sell, the more likely for other crops price will climb :)