Seasons mod.

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
reallogger

Re: Seasons mod.

Post by reallogger »

W1der wrote: This is so awesome ..
It means that you can plant your own forest and make it look more "natural" with trees that grows to different stages ...

If you plant a bunch of trees really tight ... and wait till they are "fully grown" ... come back and cut a few of them out ... will the others start growing again ones the spacing is changed?
Yes this is all part of the feature. As tree growth now takes longer (5 years to reach stage 6) it will give you something to do in winters before the forest is fully grown and mature for clear cutting. It also gives an actual use for the Sampo tree harvester that is smaller, more agile than the large Ponssee and can only cut trees that have radius less than 0.2 m. Can't remember on top of my head what stage that radius corresponds to, but it's 3 or 4 if I'm not mistaken.
W1der

Post by W1der »

I love you guys!
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
IseOlen

Post by IseOlen »

reallogger wrote:
W1der wrote: This is so awesome ..
It means that you can plant your own forest and make it look more "natural" with trees that grows to different stages ...

If you plant a bunch of trees really tight ... and wait till they are "fully grown" ... come back and cut a few of them out ... will the others start growing again ones the spacing is changed?
Yes this is all part of the feature. As tree growth now takes longer (5 years to reach stage 6) it will give you something to do in winters before the forest is fully grown and mature for clear cutting. It also gives an actual use for the Sampo tree harvester that is smaller, more agile than the large Ponssee and can only cut trees that have radius less than 0.2 m. Can't remember on top of my head what stage that radius corresponds to, but it's 3 or 4 if I'm not mistaken.
This is brilliant (Y) I can now plant trees @5m apart and then after 3(?) years cut down every other one to get some cash and let the rest grow to full length.
ThaFarmer

Post by ThaFarmer »

I'm trying to figure out how to work with that...
Is it:
Year 1: 10m separation, rows every 10m
year 2: planting at 5m between the 10m rows

Can you explain how would it work? at wich stage the growth would stop for each planted rows and which should be cut first?

To visualize it, I've made this with Samsung Note(sorry I had no clue it would result that big lol):
Blue lines-black dots are 10m/year 1 trees,
Orange lines-gray dots are 5m/year 2 trees
NateS

Post by NateS »

I think the idea would be to plant this entire grid in year 1 and harvest every other tree in year 3. That is, if you were planning on mass planting trees and wanted to get the most value out of a smaller plot of land.
PC & PS4
ThaFarmer

Post by ThaFarmer »

Playing on RatteSnake Valley V2 I was In fact thinking about it, and finally I'm considering going back to my initial plan, having multiple small or medium sized plantations throughout the forestry zone(eastern side of the map) that are planted at different period(except winter indeed) of the year, every year... This way I would have a constant stock of "Full grown harvest ready" trees from the 5th year...
Am I correct to go back to my initial plan, which I've already put at work(planted already one plantation, was going to start a second one soon)?
I've just though of one point tho... Which makes me scratch my head... How will I know if a batch of trees have reached full growth?(stage 6)
W1der

Post by W1der »

Is there a way for a map maker to place "growing trees" from scratch?
Combined with this feature we would be looking at a lot more realistic maps regarding forestry indeed!
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
ThaFarmer

Post by ThaFarmer »

W1der wrote:Is there a way for a map maker to place "growing trees" from scratch?
Combined with this feature we would be looking at a lot more realistic maps regarding forestry indeed!
I don't think that this exists... I'm pretty sure I have read somewhere something about these being placeables, so they have static/fixed state, this is why SoMS2 have placed RSV trees at multiple stages... But maybe, Seasons mod could take care of this with a script(not pressure, no rush)? :mrgreen:
Rahkiin
Former GIANTS employee

Post by Rahkiin »

They can possibly add planted trees in the defaultVehicles.xml, but I have no idea really.
W1der

Post by W1der »

Rahkiin wrote:They can possibly add planted trees in the defaultVehicles.xml, but I have no idea really.
That could work ...
If it also is possible to set the growth stage on them ... this would be neat ... but a lot fo work!
chaskuchar1

Post by chaskuchar1 »

W1der, which map are you playing? I am playing old stream farm which stores straw, grass, and hay in the silo. 300k is the size of the silo I think. it's a small map but small machinery is right for this map. I am playing three day seasons so far and it gives me plenty of time. I cut trees down by the sawmill and am going to plant some there. I leased the big ponsse to cut them and had it back within the hour. I do that while other tractor is planting. chas

bales bought at the shop reduce when it rains. 4000l bales reduce to 3802. still don't know what winter will do to the hay stored at the silo.

I am using the development seasons. chas
60 acres with center pivot. jmj
playing fs22 on pc, hard mode
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

chaskuchar1 wrote:W1der, which map are you playing? I am playing old stream farm which stores straw, grass, and hay in the silo. 300k is the size of the silo I think. it's a small map but small machinery is right for this map. I am playing three day seasons so far and it gives me plenty of time. I cut trees down by the sawmill and am going to plant some there. I leased the big ponsse to cut them and had it back within the hour. I do that while other tractor is planting. chas

bales bought at the shop reduce when it rains. 4000l bales reduce to 3802. still don't know what winter will do to the hay stored at the silo.

I am using the development seasons. chas
Hay stored in silos is not affected at this point in time.
W1der

Post by W1der »

I am playing FarmTown atm ...
The old Streams Farm is one of my favorites though. But played it for so long that I did not want to start all over with the seasons mod.

The bales that reduce when it rains ... you have them stored outside I guess?
chaskuchar1

Post by chaskuchar1 »

the bales were still at the shop. I don't have straw until my first harvest. I hadn't hauled them home. the best cheep tool for working with bales is the manure fork. I can haul two bales (straw, hay or silage). the round bales are the easiest but square are able to be moved with care. I haven't heard about farm town. will check it out. I am doing old stream without getting the nuggets so it makes it a little tough. chas
60 acres with center pivot. jmj
playing fs22 on pc, hard mode
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

W1der wrote:I am playing FarmTown atm ...
The old Streams Farm is one of my favorites though. But played it for so long that I did not want to start all over with the seasons mod.

The bales that reduce when it rains ... you have them stored outside I guess?
Then activate the mod on your existing save game.