Seasons mod.

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
reallogger

Re: Seasons mod.

Post by reallogger »

p0wd3rp1l0t wrote:so what exactly does the seasons mod do? i have never used it or seen it used on youtube
Like the name suggests we have introduced seasons to the game. One year is divided into the four seasons, spring, summer, autumn, winter. Growth, tree textures, weather, animal birth/production, vehicle maintenance, economy etc etc etc are adapted to a more realistic and immersive gameplay. See our WIP thread on fs-uk.com for a more in depth feature list.
https://fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?topic=187664.0
Paeppchen

Post by Paeppchen »

I had a version from GitHub and for me it looked perfect. Nice work looking forward to the release candidate
Keep up the excellent work, I can only wonder how you do that.
It's a shame, that people can't respect the rules. And by the way I don't had any problems with the mod at all. If all mods would run like yours...
Kind regards
Rolf
Seit Ls 11 dabei
"Keep calm and play farming simulator"
At the other end of the internet is still a human being. Show some respect and manners
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

Paeppchen wrote:I had a version from GitHub and for me it looked perfect. Nice work looking forward to the release candidate
Keep up the excellent work, I can only wonder how you do that.
It's a shame, that people can't respect the rules. And by the way I don't had any problems with the mod at all. If all mods would run like yours...
Kind regards
Rolf
Thanks Rolf.

Also take a look at our YouTube channel for some previews we made in the development phase:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsuba_ ... pJZizLD2Ow
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

Wow this looks utterly amazing. Great work. The future of FS is definitely for Giants to implement this sort of thing plus other weather and physical environmental effects into the game. Anything to make the world seem more believable and real. The whole sky box needs an overhaul for FS-19. They need to make the weather far more varied and the ground responsive to whatever the weather conditions are/have been.
Rahkiin
Former GIANTS employee

Post by Rahkiin »

Mobias wrote:Wow this looks utterly amazing. Great work. The future of FS is definitely for Giants to implement this sort of thing plus other weather and physical environmental effects into the game. Anything to make the world seem more believable and real. The whole sky box needs an overhaul for FS-19. They need to make the weather far more varied and the ground responsive to whatever the weather conditions are/have been.
Or they keep allowing us to do it for them ;)
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

Rahkiin wrote:
Mobias wrote:Wow this looks utterly amazing. Great work. The future of FS is definitely for Giants to implement this sort of thing plus other weather and physical environmental effects into the game. Anything to make the world seem more believable and real. The whole sky box needs an overhaul for FS-19. They need to make the weather far more varied and the ground responsive to whatever the weather conditions are/have been.
Or they keep allowing us to do it for them ;)
Yeah thats cool as long as they port those scripts over so us console farmers can enjoy them too, like what happened with the 4Real Modules.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

For those of you that are interested... here is the full list of features of the Seasons mod

## Features

### Seasons
- Changeable season lengths. (For best results, restart the game / server after changing season length)
- Plowable snow in the winter! Reduced tire friction when driving in snow.
- Soil temperature is properly modelled using thermodynamic equations and historical data, which introduces interesting aspects like soil is frozen in the winter and sometimes in the first few days of spring, so you can't work on it
- Changed the weather system to fit the seasons
- Rainy in autumn
- Sunny in summer
- Snow and rain in winter.
- Winters have longer nights than summers. In the winter it might be light only 8 hours while in summer it is near 17 hours.
- Pedestrians do not spawn in the Winter.
- When snow falls, tippers and shovels fill up. Put them in a shed (when the map has a snow mask) or activate the cover.
- Snow will melt from tippers and shovels when it is not freezing outside.
- Bunker Silo contents now take one third of a season to ferment.
- Tree and bush textures will change with season and weather (trees drop their leaves when temperature becomes low etc.)

### Weather forecast
- 7 day weather forecast
- Hail may occur unexpectedly

### Crops
- At the beginning of a new game, the mod will reset all fields to the harvested state. This is to simulate the fact that you just bought the farm and the fields haven't been worked since the last harvest.
- Using the mod on an existing save game is not recommended, but it is supported. The mod will prompt if you wish to reset all fields in this situation.
- Vanilla growth is completely disabled. The mod controls all growth of fruits.
- Winter kills certain crops
- Grass is knocked back to state 2 in the winter
- Crop growth duration is much, much longer: for some crops more than half a year
- Growth is adjusted to match real life life as much as possible - for example, crops will not grow if planted at the wrong time of the year
- Winter and spring crops are possible now. Some crops can be planted in autumn (barley, wheat and canola) and in spring and will reach harvestable state by the summer. Some crops can only be planted at certain times of the year.
- Growth is configurable and can be changed by map makers to suit their map
- Germination of planted crops will only occur if the soil temperatures rise above the germination temperature.
- Swaths will reduce over time.
- Grass bales will rot and disappear after two days.
- Hay and straw bales exposed to rain will start to rot so keep them inside (only when the map has a snow mask)
- Wrapped bales needs time (one third of a season) to ferment before they are turned into silage
- Wrapped hay will not ferment. Wrapped hay bales can be stored outside.
- Treshing can only be done when moisture content of the crop is sufficiently low. After rain the crop needs time and sunny weather to dry. Moist summer nights can also occur.
- Custom fruits are handled gracefully by using barley's growth patterns. Map makers can choose to modify the growth patterns of vanilla fruits and also make the mod aware of custom fruits by supplying custom growth patterns for them
- Crops are only harvestable in the final growth state, except for poplar, oilseedradish, sugarbeet and potato. Min forage growth state has not been modified.
- Once a non-root crop reaches the first harvestable stage according to the growth overview in the esc menu, it is ready to harvest. This is the final harvestable stage.
- Using a tedder when crops are wet or when it is raining, leaves wet grass, not dry grass.
- Growth and withering settings are disabled as this mod overwrites this functionality
- The mod also controls the growth of planted trees. It takes 5 years for trees to be fully grown, harvestable after 2 years.
- Trees inhibit the growth of other trees if they have been planted too close together. To restart the growth of the tree you will need to thin out the trees.

### Maintenance
- Age in maintenance GUI is now days since last repair
- New maintenance algorithm with repair, maintenance and taxes
- Keep your machine clean to lower daily maintenance costs
- Machine not used? Pay less
- You can repair your vehicles at the vehicle workshop (placeable or on the map). It is more expensive at the dealer
- If you don't maintain your vehicle, starting of the vehicle takes longer, and after a while it may be very hard to start it.
- Motor start setting is disabled as this mod overwrites the functionality

### Economy
- Loan cap is set to 30% of your total owned land + placeable buildings value with a minimum of 300,000
- The interest has been adjusted to the new year length.
- Prices of almost everything changes during a year, realistically.
- You can't sell grass/hay/straw in an unbaled form. (Price is 0)
- You can't sell wet grass bales (price is 0)
- Income from missions is reduced to ~5x what a worker would earn if 100% of the time for a mission is used.
- Field prices can be adjusted via the economy xml file using fieldPriceFactor. 1 = default prices. < 1 for cheaper fields and > 1 for more expensive fields. For example, setting this value to 0.5 will result in a price half of wht it would be in the standard game

### Helpers
- Wages have been changed to fit the new economy.
- Overtime, before 6AM and after 6PM or on the weekends, pays 150%

### Animals
- Animals have been adjusted to the seasons
- They drink more water in summer than in winter
- They need more straw in winter than in summer
- They only give birth to offspring in spring (pigs and sheep) or summer (cows)
- Milk and wool production depend on season (Wool only in spring, milk spread, mostly in winter and spring)
- Animals die when they have no food. (Disabled on 'Easy')
- Max feeding capacity is lowered to 3 days
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

Wow! That pretty much makes it into a whole new game. Impressive stuff. A lot of that sort of thing is really what I'd like to see in FS-19. I'm presuming Giants won't get all this to work for us console users so it might make sense just to implement it as a whole new game. It would need to be done carefully I guess because it does make things a lot more complicated.
aklein

Post by aklein »

outstanding theseb, I have been following seasons watching the promotions team on you tube and have been patiently waiting for the release.

Then its learning to play FS17 all over again.

On that right I have a few questions related to the above.

- Grass bales will rot and disappear after two days.
Q: What about grass left in a forage wagon? Will that rot and disappear or only when made into bales

- Wrapped bales needs time (one third of a season) to ferment before they are turned into silage
Q: Is there a F1 display that shows the fermentation state as a % or some other info to know when a silage bale has reached full fermentation status?
ouhaha

Post by ouhaha »

One way Giants could avoid this 'pirate' mods, is a similar way-of-working as the consoles : only ModHub works. Also for PC. It's going to be frustrating to wait, ppl will complain about the 'control' of Giants [brands that are allow or not].

You have to register your mods to Giants [so they know the author], which can check their quality/compatibility before publishing.

Side note: you can make a section with "unverified/beta" for all that still needs approval.

To comeback on Season mod: it looks fantastic, looking forward to use it, they want to fix big shortcomings of FS17. I'm already using development version of Courseplay via Git (updating before playing).
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

aklein wrote: - Grass bales will rot and disappear after two days.
Q: What about grass left in a forage wagon? Will that rot and disappear or only when made into bales
A: In v1 grass left in a forage wagon will not rot. It is on the list for a future update
aklein wrote: - Wrapped bales needs time (one third of a season) to ferment before they are turned into silage
Q: Is there a F1 display that shows the fermentation state as a % or some other info to know when a silage bale has reached full fermentation status?
A: There is no display or information provided by our mod, but except keeping track of time there are atleast two ways you can check whether the fermentation is ready. Either use a bale fork and poke the bale (maybe not the most realistic method) or if you use the Game Extension mod by Xentro you can check the fillType of the wrapped bales.
Flywheel

Post by Flywheel »

As everyone is eagerly waiting the release of this mod that will change how we will play the game, and me too, I have one question please, as the seasons change and Winter arrives with snow, so what of the large areas that farm without snow. I have been on farms in my youth and never seen snow, so are we locked into these things or is there a few choices. Regards Peter

PS: Just curious
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Flywheel wrote:As everyone is eagerly waiting the release of this mod that will change how we will play the game, and me too, I have one question please, as the seasons change and Winter arrives with snow, so what of the large areas that farm without snow. I have been on farms in my youth and never seen snow, so are we locked into these things or is there a few choices. Regards Peter

PS: Just curious
Our weather system (and the growth system too) is fully and easily customisable. Map makers can create their own weather and growth to suit their map. One can also create separate little extra mods to simulate different regions on whatever map you want.
Flywheel

Post by Flywheel »

Thank you.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Flywheel wrote:Thank you.
No problem. There are a couple more advanced features, like texture changes (changing how grass, or hedges look in different seasons, for example) and stuff that looks a certain way in a particular way in a certain season (e.g. a lake that is frozen in the winter) that map makers can also incorporate. We have created this mod to be as extensible by the community as possible.