Seasons mod.

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
muzickmage

Re: Seasons mod.

Post by muzickmage »

Smith Modding wrote:^^^ It's still gonna extend the life, I think you're missing the point. The point is, you're paying money every 6 months (ish) to keep the tractor running longer, just like in real life
It doesn't matter if the vehicle is running longer (in game) because it's nearing time to sell the vehicle and replace it with a new one.

Keep in mind... the sooner you sell your old vehicle the more money you get on trade in. So when a tractor reaches the point of 30 hours of engine use and starts to break down.... just sell it and buy a new one. Selling it at that point will earn you more money on trade in than it will if you pay the maintenance cost and keep the tractor for 10+ more engine hours.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

But that isn't realistic. In real life, would you sell a tractor after 30 hours? No. You'd do some maintenance and you'd keep using it. The point of the seasons mod is to be realistic.
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

Smith Modding wrote:But that isn't realistic. In real life, would you sell a tractor after 30 hours? No. You'd do some maintenance and you'd keep using it. The point of the seasons mod is to be realistic.
In real life... paying for maintenance would increase the value of my tractor too. Does it do that with the season's mod? Can I pay the maintenance cost and have a more valuable tractor? Or is the tractor still at the same age and still needing to be replaced soon?

For example:

How is it that my fan belt is still showing 30 hours of usage when I just replaced it with a new one (using the maintenance cost feature in season's mod)? And because my vehicle is still showing age, I will have to sell it soon and replace it with a new one.... despite just paying money on maintenance cost.
Last edited by muzickmage on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

It wouldn't increase the value of your tractor very much, certainly not what you paid for it. But you do get an increase. This is from the seasons manual
A: The sell price of the machinery is revised in the mod and based on actual data for depreciation of value of agricultural machinery. The model has been benchmarked towards advertised machinery. Note that machinery requiring maintenance will have lower sell value. Operating hours are now more important for the sell price than the age of the machinery.
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Specs-
Guil

Post by Guil »

Why do you 'have' to sell it after 30 hours?
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

Smith Modding wrote:It wouldn't increase the value of your tractor very much, certainly not what you paid for it. But you do get an increase. This is from the seasons manual
A: The sell price of the machinery is revised in the mod and based on actual data for depreciation of value of agricultural machinery. The model has been benchmarked towards advertised machinery. Note that machinery requiring maintenance will have lower sell value. Operating hours are now more important for the sell price than the age of the machinery.
But you still have to trash the tractor because of the Giants default script that measures the cost of keeping the vehicle VS the cost of renting one. That's the point that is being overlooked here.

Paying the maintenance cost doesn't help you keep a vehicle. You still have to trash it. And the sooner you do sell it... the more money you will get for it on trade in.

If paying the maintenance cost would give me back that money (allow me to at least break even) on selling price increase during trade in sale... then i'd pay the maintenance cost and replace the vehicle. Otherwise i'd skip the maintenance cost and just trash/replace.
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

Guil wrote:Why do you 'have' to sell it after 30 hours?
Without the Seasons mod... you don't.

With the season's mod... it's smarter to do so because it's more profitable to sell the tractor at that time to get more on trade in..... than to pay to keep it and have it age further and become less valuable during trade in.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

^^^ You're paying less than the in game already. You lose value when you trade in the tractor with hours on it anyways.
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Specs-
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

Smith Modding wrote:^^^ You're paying less than the in game already. You lose value when you trade in the tractor with hours on it anyways.
And you're losing more money by keeping the vehicle longer.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

I'm talking about without the seasons mod
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Specs-
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

Smith Modding wrote:I'm talking about without the seasons mod
Without the season's mod... I think you might be right. I forget the math on it to be honest. But... I think maybe keeping the vehicle longer is more profitable than selling it sooner... being that the depreciation cost doesn't warrant the expense of paying Full price minus trade in benefit for a new vehicle.

I could be wrong as I can't recall the math on it all that was a main topic a year ago.

But sure... you could be right. I don't know.
IseOlen

Post by IseOlen »

There are 2 maintenance costs - daily costs and manual maintenance. Has anyone actually done any long-term research on "manual maintenance costs while using Seasons mod"? I'm currently paying manual maintenance in hundreds and usually the "days to next maintenance" comes before "running hours" is filled. So this is peanuts compared to "a tractor used for 1 hour has depreciated by tens-of-thousands".
Leasing - have not used this. Without Seasons this was too expensive vs buying. Has this changed?
Rahkiin
Former GIANTS employee

Post by Rahkiin »

I don't see why you have to trash the tractor.

Are you suggesting we make the leasing cost 10x more expensive? Remember, we changed all pricing. Also the sell price (which stays higher than in vanilla over time).

You keep saying 'you have to trash is' but i still don't see why. You can use a tractor for 1000s of operating hours...

I think this is a classic case of 'you don't actually want to play realistic'. Just like you could reset vehicles to the shop to move them to the other side of the map, instead of driving them there. If you feel you are doing good by selling your equipment every x days, go ahead.
empato

Post by empato »

I totally agree to Rahkiin. I still have some of my starting tractors, also for a game which I play approx 300 hours in total already.
The repair function is great, and the maintainance costs are not causing any headachses.
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

Rahkiin wrote:I don't see why you have to trash the tractor.

Are you suggesting we make the leasing cost 10x more expensive? Remember, we changed all pricing. Also the sell price (which stays higher than in vanilla over time).

You keep saying 'you have to trash is' but i still don't see why. You can use a tractor for 1000s of operating hours...

I think this is a classic case of 'you don't actually want to play realistic'. Just like you could reset vehicles to the shop to move them to the other side of the map, instead of driving them there. If you feel you are doing good by selling your equipment every x days, go ahead.
I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you to understand.

In reality.... if I pay money on maintanance cost for a tractor.... it is reasonable to expect that tractor to be...... "less old". Not just cheaper to run .. but also..... "less old".

Please focus on the ...... "less old" ... part of the conversation.

Paying the maintanance cost does make the tractor cheaper to run ( I agree).... but... it doesn't make the tractor "less old". Which means... regardless of how many times you pay that maintanance fee that tractor will still reach the point of .... needing to be replaced being that maintanance cost does nothing to renew the tractor in any way... it just makes it cheaper to keep longer.

Keeping the tractor longer... allows for further depreciation (even if that depreciation is cheaper).... and further depreciation means... less trade in value.

In overview.... the maintanance cost only minipulates you into keeping the tractor longer for a less trade in value.

So...... if you are going to have to sell the tractor anyway at some point (despite paying the maintanance fee) which fixes and repairs absolutely nothing and only acts to let you start your tractor past the 30 hour mark... then the decision of .... "when" .... to sell that tractor comes into play.

You don't have to play the game very long to realize that the sooner you sell your tractor for a new one.... the more money you get on trade in value. You don't have to sell the tractor ... or anything else. But its smarter to do so at some point. What is that point of decision?

The forced maintanance cost encourages a "point of decision" where you're faced with the option of... pay the maintanance cost and keep the tractor (at that expense)... or .... sell the tractor now and get more for it on trade in value than you would if you kept it longer.

Whether or not you should pay the maintanance cost before sellling the tractor of course depends on... how much is the maintanance fee? And, how much of a marginal benefit did you receive in trade in value by paying that maintanance fee.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the forced maintanance cost as being a very good example of .... "reality"... because in "reality".. when you pay money on maintanance cost..... that tractor would, at the very least, and in some way.... be ...... "less old".