Seasons mod.

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
1992Tadej1992

Re: Seasons mod.

Post by 1992Tadej1992 »

Crops are just not worth the effort imo. Plowing/cultivating, seeding and fertilizing is just a lot of work for not that much money. If you even get it, considering how realistic seasons can possibly be. And it is very long period to grow and harvest it.

Logging in the spring to make a lot of money, so that you can buy a lot of sheeps later. I would turn all crop fields into grass fields and maybe fertilizing as well for bigger yield.
ThaFarmer

Post by ThaFarmer »

1992Tadej1992 wrote:Crops are just not worth the effort imo. Plowing/cultivating, seeding and fertilizing is just a lot of work for not that much money. If you even get it, considering how realistic seasons can possibly be. And it is very long period to grow and harvest it.

Logging in the spring to make a lot of money, so that you can buy a lot of sheeps later. I would turn all crop fields into grass fields and maybe fertilizing as well for bigger yield.
LoL
If you're on PC, play on a 4x map and you'll revise yourself real quick about crops worth!
on a 10 acre field, you harvest almost 120k litres of canola, just an example...
1992Tadej1992

Post by 1992Tadej1992 »

ThaFarmer wrote:
1992Tadej1992 wrote:Crops are just not worth the effort imo. Plowing/cultivating, seeding and fertilizing is just a lot of work for not that much money. If you even get it, considering how realistic seasons can possibly be. And it is very long period to grow and harvest it.

LoL
If you're on PC, play on a 4x map and you'll revise yourself real quick about crops worth!
on a 10 acre field, you harvest almost 120k litres of canola, just an example...
Good point *thumbsup*

I just find it more fun in more advanced things...like logging, mowing and transporting animal outcome to selling point.

Fun>money
High Cotton

Post by High Cotton »

Hairy Bob wrote:To be able to harvest wheat, barley and canola in late summer, you need to sow them the previous autumn so they have time to grow. I sow roughly half my fields with winter crops in autumn, and the rest with oilseed radish, which I cultivate in spring before planting sunflowers, soybeans, corn, sugar beet and potatoes. It gives a pretty good spread at harvest time and means I have more time to get all the fields harvested.
My first year with seasons I had bad weather in the autumn and had to slow down to real time quite a bit to get all the combining done. This was on Lawfolds, which is pretty generous with starting fields and equipment. I sold a lot of machinery, maxed out the loan and bought more fields, think I ended up with 60 odd hectares to harvest with a 7.5m combine, on the morning and evening of 2 days when it wasn't too wet!
Reminds me of working on a real farm!
Is it possible to plant wheat in the autumn to be harvested early summer and then follow that up with soybeans? I'm still working on my first year with seasons. That was my plan.
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

No, as the earliest you can harvest wheat, barley and canola is late summer, by which time it's too late to plant soybeans (or anything which can be harvested the same year).
As far as I know, the only crop you can harvest multiple times per year is grass, unless anyone knows different?
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Hairy Bob wrote:No, as the earliest you can harvest wheat, barley and canola is late summer, by which time it's too late to plant soybeans (or anything which can be harvested the same year).
As far as I know, the only crop you can harvest multiple times per year is grass, unless anyone knows different?
What about the various add on seasons mods for different parts of the world? don't they make a difference then?
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

High Cotton wrote:
Hairy Bob wrote:To be able to harvest wheat, barley and canola in late summer, you need to sow them the previous autumn so they have time to grow. I sow roughly half my fields with winter crops in autumn, and the rest with oilseed radish, which I cultivate in spring before planting sunflowers, soybeans, corn, sugar beet and potatoes. It gives a pretty good spread at harvest time and means I have more time to get all the fields harvested.
My first year with seasons I had bad weather in the autumn and had to slow down to real time quite a bit to get all the combining done. This was on Lawfolds, which is pretty generous with starting fields and equipment. I sold a lot of machinery, maxed out the loan and bought more fields, think I ended up with 60 odd hectares to harvest with a 7.5m combine, on the morning and evening of 2 days when it wasn't too wet!
Is it possible to plant wheat in the autumn to be harvested early summer and then follow that up with soybeans? I'm still working on my first year with seasons. That was my plan.
With the Midwest GEO you can double crop with soybeans :)

Link:
https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2017
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

reallogger wrote:
High Cotton wrote:
With the Midwest GEO you can double crop with soybeans :)

Link:
https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2017
Thanks Reallogger you read my mind!
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

Ooh! I've not played with the Geo mods yet, thanks!
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

I use my best guess, and if I get court short, I then sell off some animals to get me through until the next harvest.
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

Drmattymd wrote:Is there any info anywhere that can give you feed / straw requirements per head of livestock to be able to plan how much you need?
These are annual amonts in liters per animal:
Animal - Feed - Straw
Cows --- 8400 - 1680
Sheep --- 720 -- N/A
Pigs ---- 2160 -- 480
Last edited by reallogger on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Mazzon

Post by Mr_Mazzon »

reallogger wrote:
Drmattymd wrote:Is there any info anywhere that can give you feed / straw requirements per head of livestock to be able to plan how much you need?
These are annual amonts in liters per animal:
Animal - Feed - Straw
Cows --- 1400 -- 280
Sheep --- 120 -- N/A
Pigs ------ 360 -- 80
Why im getting different numbers for pigs? What im doing wrong?
Calculated with Spring day1 (6day season) with 100 pigs dumping feeding trough full of corn (3 days worth)

reallogger

Post by reallogger »

Mr_Mazzon wrote: Why im getting different numbers for pigs? What im doing wrong?
Calculated with Spring day1 (6day season) with 100 pigs dumping feeding trough full of corn (3 days worth)
Euh. Not sure how you came to those values. Total in your case is 4320 liters / pig / year.

But food consumption change through the year so you can't establish annual food consumption based on values from spring only. Animals need more feed in winter than in summer for instance. It does not vary as much for pigs as for cows and sheep though. The daily food consumption is dependent on season length as the annual food consumption is indifferent.

Edit: Ok, understood how you did it I think. Not sure why that gives a different amount though.

Edit2: My mistake. Updated post above. There was a mistake in my calcs. :D
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

reallogger wrote:
Mr_Mazzon wrote: Why im getting different numbers for pigs? What im doing wrong?
Euh. Not sure how you came to those values. Total in your case is 4320 liters / pig / year.

But food consumption change through the year so you can't establish annual food consumption based on values from spring only. Animals need more feed in winter than in summer for instance. It does not vary as much for pigs as for cows and sheep though. The daily food consumption is dependent on season length as the annual food consumption is indifferent.

Edit: Ok, understood how you did it I think. Not sure why that gives a different amount though.

I like this answer, Reallogger you are an honest man, your a rear breath of fresh air, most people would have bluffed there way through that, instead of owning up to a mistake. good on you!
Mr_Mazzon

Post by Mr_Mazzon »

reallogger wrote:

So..
My calculations are based on seasons XML values and real life tests with 3, 6 and 12 day seasons with 100 pigs.

Saved game.
Set season lenght
Buy 100 pigs
Fill feed trough with corn (3 days worth)

on 12 day season 6138 l corn
on 6 day season 12235 l corn
on 3 day season 24329 l corn

For the numbers, seasons XML says pigs eat 81L on spring and summer, 90L autumn and 108L winter (total 360 anualy)
Corn is 50%, Wheat/Barley is 25%, Canola/Sunflowers/Soybeans 20%, and potato/sugarbeet 5%
(corn*2/81*360) and x2 for 6 day value and x4 for 12day value
With that i can calculate totals for year.
12 day: 218240L of food
6 days: 217511L of food
3 days: 216258L of food

For some reason total amounth is rising as seasons gets more days. Why?