Seasons mod.

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
j_maybury

Re: Seasons mod.

Post by j_maybury »

empato wrote:I would not play FS19 without Seasons, and I suppose most of the (PC) guys would agree with it. So i`m very sure that Giants will include this feature in FS19.
We said the same with FS 15 and crop types and look what happened to that! We are now slowly getting them back in with the magnificent mod makers, I only hope that this time Giants finally see some sense and do the right thing with people like more realism. The game would only last three weeks, as it stands on it's own, people would start to get board with it and move on to something ells, but with the moders this game last's well into the next version and beyond.
Rahkiin
Former GIANTS employee

Post by Rahkiin »

eraaspr wrote:Hello. Been reading through this thread but haven't seen anything about the GEO Sweden mod. I started up farming on Coldborough Park Farm v3 with seasons mod installed. Since I like snow I decided to try the GEO Sweden mod aswell. Took a long time before the snow had melted and the ground temperature started to get above 0. Not until the very last day of spring I was allowed to start ploughing and fertilizing. I wasn't allowed to do the spring seeding. I assume you're supposed to do the seeding before summer. As it is right now I won't get to do any harvesting during the first year but have to plan for constantly do the seeding in the autumn and then wait until the year after to get any profit from the crops. Is this the intension of the GEO Sweden mod? I live in Sweden and here farmers do seed both in spring and in autumn. Otherwise I want to say like many others here that the seasons mod is awsome!! Hoping it will appear in FS 19.
You can plant winter crops in autumn.

If the weather is too harsch you might try more days per season.
scrivy

Post by scrivy »

GiedriusK wrote:Can someone confirm, that weeders does not work? I tried a new game, I plowed the field, I fertilized it, then I planted canola, did not fertilized anymore. Then summer came and the crops started to grow (first stage), I slowed the time to 1x and started to weed. Actually, the fertilization stage did not increase and the crops changed stage from first growing stage (small plants) to 3rd growing stage (high plants) in few minutes and weeder did not work as well. Maybe the crops should grow more evenly and the weeder should be able to increase the fertilization stage?

What about to add manure before plowing and slurry before cultivation etc. how it was in the soil mod?
Thanks, good work, by the way :)

For me they have worked in first stage of growth. It was on Wheat and Barley and Corn though have not tried other crops.
StoneC0ld

Post by StoneC0ld »

Would it work or break my ongoing save game if I were to modify the snow mask on the map? I found a functional building where I forgot to mask the inside of the building, and I'm seriously thinking about masking off up to half of the roads. I want to do snow plowing on the road as part of my winter activities, but I think I bit off more than I could chew by taking on all the roads on the entire map...
okky_84

Post by okky_84 »

is there any plan to get the base maps "seasoned"?
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

I always cultivated my fields in the spring after the ground thawed. I did it then because that's when the pop-up told me to, and that seemed to make sense, logically. Just for fun I cultivated a field in the fall after harvesting to see if it would stay that way until spring. It did. I expected it to go back to harvested. Now I realize that I can chase the harvester around in the fall cultivating the fields, the immediately sow in the spring. Makes like a little easier. However, it seems to me that, in real life, the snow, freezing, and subsequent thawing would leave the field unsuitable for sowing and would have to be cultivated again.

I'm not calling this a bug or a problem. I'm wondering if my thinking is off.
Playing on PC
baltic1284

Post by baltic1284 »

hpmc13 wrote:I always cultivated my fields in the spring after the ground thawed. I did it then because that's when the pop-up told me to, and that seemed to make sense, logically. Just for fun I cultivated a field in the fall after harvesting to see if it would stay that way until spring. It did. I expected it to go back to harvested. Now I realize that I can chase the harvester around in the fall cultivating the fields, the immediately sow in the spring. Makes like a little easier. However, it seems to me that, in real life, the snow, freezing, and subsequent thawing would leave the field unsuitable for sowing and would have to be cultivated again.

I'm not calling this a bug or a problem. I'm wondering if my thinking is off.
Your thinking isn't off in IRL you would have to use a Cultivator with a Seed Bed preparation for the seed to grow and mature properly. Plowing or using a chisle plow to Till the soil up would remain.
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

IRL there are many 'winter' varieties of common crops which are hardy and can survive being planted in autumn for harvest the following year, this is reflected in the behaviour of seasons, which lets you sow wheat, barley and canola in autumn, allowing them to be harvested earlier the following year than if you'd planted them in spring.
Also, IRL you might plough/cultivate after harvest, before leaving the field to weather down, allowing frost to break up large clods on heavy ground and help create a finer tilth for the next sowing.
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
baltic1284

Post by baltic1284 »

Hairy Bob wrote:IRL there are many 'winter' varieties of common crops which are hardy and can survive being planted in autumn for harvest the following year, this is reflected in the behaviour of seasons, which lets you sow wheat, barley and canola in autumn, allowing them to be harvested earlier the following year than if you'd planted them in spring.
Also, IRL you might plough/cultivate after harvest, before leaving the field to weather down, allowing frost to break up large clods on heavy ground and help create a finer tilth for the next sowing.
Basically same as I said except more too it there are crops for it but he was wondering about tillage not the crop from how I took it but your is more detailed than I tried make it simple in case he new nothing of farming.
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

Thanks to both of you for your replies. My basic understanding of real life farming is that you would plow any time after harvest, but cultivate only in spring prior to seeding. It seems to me that, in real life, if you would cultivate in the fall then the snow, freezing and thawing, spring run-off, etc, would diminish or erase the effects of cultivating. I guess what I'm saying is: The ability to cultivate in the fall - without planting right then - and having the effect remain until the spring seems like cheating a bit. I see the problem with just having all fields go to Harvested in the spring (as grass does) - any winter crops would "die" as a result. Maybe any unplanted fields going to harvested in the spring would do it? Or, maybe I'm getting a little nitpicky.
Playing on PC
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

Hi Seasons fans. Those of you who followed the discussion on animal needs may be interested in trying out an Excel spreadsheet I have put together.
It helps me predict how many hectares of different crop types I need in order to meet the needs of my animals.
I can then pick a proper sized field for each crop. I also have information about how much surplus harvest I can sell and still have enough for the animals.
The base numbers for crop yield and animals needs are obtained from playing on Dusty Cove and Snetterton's farm (both with Seasons 1.1).
The number might change slightly on other maps.
To use the spreadsheet, you just have to enter your numbers for cows, pigs and sheep. If you really want to, you can also change the base numbers for crop yield and animal needs.
Credits to reallogger for comments and suggestions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bl06edef7wdnl ... .xlsx?dl=0

Have fun.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
BlackFox403

Post by BlackFox403 »

Very useful spreadsheet @Kahfs. Thank you for the time on this and sharing.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

hpmc13 wrote:Thanks to both of you for your replies. My basic understanding of real life farming is that you would plow any time after harvest, but cultivate only in spring prior to seeding. It seems to me that, in real life, if you would cultivate in the fall then the snow, freezing and thawing, spring run-off, etc, would diminish or erase the effects of cultivating. I guess what I'm saying is: The ability to cultivate in the fall - without planting right then - and having the effect remain until the spring seems like cheating a bit. I see the problem with just having all fields go to Harvested in the spring (as grass does) - any winter crops would "die" as a result. Maybe any unplanted fields going to harvested in the spring would do it? Or, maybe I'm getting a little nitpicky.
I would imagine a lot would depend on which country you live in, as to what crops you can and can't grow as a late crop, with any luck we may get enough add-on's with seasons, for all the country's around the world.
baltic1284

Post by baltic1284 »

j_maybury wrote:
hpmc13 wrote:Thanks to both of you for your replies. My basic understanding of real life farming is that you would plow any time after harvest, but cultivate only in spring prior to seeding. It seems to me that, in real life, if you would cultivate in the fall then the snow, freezing and thawing, spring run-off, etc, would diminish or erase the effects of cultivating. I guess what I'm saying is: The ability to cultivate in the fall - without planting right then - and having the effect remain until the spring seems like cheating a bit. I see the problem with just having all fields go to Harvested in the spring (as grass does) - any winter crops would "die" as a result. Maybe any unplanted fields going to harvested in the spring would do it? Or, maybe I'm getting a little nitpicky.
I would imagine a lot would depend on which country you live in, as to what crops you can and can't grow as a late crop, with any luck we may get enough add-on's with seasons, for all the country's around the world.
Location fo the farm does matter on it but it is mainly what the winter will do most plow the field and let it set over winter as the ice and such will break up clogs and the rest of the dirt more. Also allows water to penetrate the soil better and deeper for conservation of water too a point. Cultivating the field though before winter I have seen it done and has mixed results.
_LIFAD_

Post by _LIFAD_ »

I already wrote theSeb a PM, but he has not been online for a while, so i post it here again, maybe some of you can help me.

This is not a general Seasons problem but a rather special one I guess
I already posted it in the german forum, but nobody seems to have a solution there.
To make it short: i am making the Fichtelberg Map by desperados93 seasons-ready, using the official guide and the lossberg map and the seasons.zip itself as reference. The snowmask works fine, so i started adding the exchangeable textures for bushes and certain foliage layers
The Guide is well written and understandable, and after a few mistakes the hedge started changing the texture according to the season perfectly fine. Now the problem:
Every default tree, that changed textures before adding custom textures, stays green all the time. They do not change anymore, but the hedge does. I do not know where to start searching for my mistake, as i did everything like discribed in the guide and it seems to be correct as the hedge changes textures. Only the trees don't.
Do you have any idea, what coule cause the trouble?

Thanks in advance
_LIFAD_