A few crops I'd love to see in FS19

eric21

Re: A few crops I'd love to see in FS19

Post by eric21 »

DeereJason wrote:
Guil wrote:
DeereJason wrote:I don't buy the whole game engine excuse. If it is sufficient enough then why are there so many console limitations? Half of the units sold are for consoles. There are other console games that are much more involved and seem limitless in ability
It's no excuse. All console limitations are from limited hardware. Do you expect to get around a track in a mini as fast as a Ferrari can get around in? They both do the same thing afterall.
You missed the second half of that message. Other console games have far more content yet don't have the same limitations
They do
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Benjibeaver wrote:I think row crops would be cool like sweet corn and green beans.It could be harvested with a Byron or pixall. There could be a cannery as a sell point. Perhaps ryegrass or fescue. We could use a self propelled windrower and a pickup header on your harvester.
Sweet corn is already in the game, just different names of it
leonebianco24

Post by leonebianco24 »

In FS19 I would like to see how additional crops:
- orchards
- lavender
- medical herb
- the biomass sorghum
- tomatoes
eire1130

Post by eire1130 »

I'd like to see alfalfa with a three year (cycle?) die off period, that also provides the next crop one stage of fertilization.

I'd also like to see the separation of silage into corn silage and haylage, rather then mixing the two concerns.

I'd also really like to see:

Poultry for meat
Chickens for eggs - and I mean real egg producing operations, not "run around and pick up a dozen eggs" with buildings and all the other problems that come along with poultry. I'm talking, 250K+ birds.

Also, separating out "cows" into dairy and beef. Dedicating an open field to grazing could be an interesting concept (select field for grazing, move cows to pasture - cows breed until they reach the limits of the field, or are supplemented with other feed.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Don't think we will see any meat production as Peta got involved about the pigs..
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

I wouldn't mind seeing some Alfalfa, especially for hay, a more realistic way of doing hay I might add... :smileynew:
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

I don't really want to see any more crops in FS-19. I want them to work more on the content the game already has. Adding more and more niche crop types that may only interest a handful of people is a bit of a waste of time IMHO. Certainly at the moment. They should definitely spend time and resources getting existing parts of the game working and looking better before they start adding ever more obscure farming pastimes I think.
gmfarmer420

Post by gmfarmer420 »

eric21 wrote:Don't think we will see any meat production as Peta got involved about the pigs..
I'm a member of a different peta people for the eating of tasty animals
FS22 season pass, FS19 Platinum and FS17 on PC FS15 on X360
Ragman

Post by Ragman »

It think that they should add more follow-up production allready existing crops, like brewery, oil factory etc
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Yes production buildings and stuff. Also cotton and alfalfa
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
High Cotton

Post by High Cotton »

Cotton would be awesome if they do it correctly. For example a true module picker and module truck or a standard picker with a bowl buggie and a module builder. In the videos I've seen from maps like Pleasant Valley seeing a combine picking cotton gives me Forrest Whitaker eye. Crops such as alfalfa or grain sorghum are pretty popular and possible with the current equipment.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Well you better request cotton, its in you name after all :lol:
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

JohnDeere318 wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing some Alfalfa, especially for hay, a more realistic way of doing hay I might add... :smileynew:
Making hay out of grass is very realistic. What makes alfalfa more realistic?
T1mH

Post by T1mH »

Sugar cane is coming with the platinum pack.

I read a lot of complaints. I know we all want more, better, faster. Giants has released a relatively stable game with with few bugs and a new version every other year with significant improvements for how many years now? Each version has gotten some DLC with significant content. The modding community is amazing with new free content available constantly. Most not available on the console but console limitations being what they are it is still pretty good. I read a lot of complaints about wanting this or that often with some unrealistic expectations. What I love about this game is the access that we have to mod it. If you don't like something then mod it. Tractor doesn't go fast enough, tipper doesn't hold enough, game isn't hard enough just change it. You want your favorite brand/color/model then make it. Show me one other game that has this much flexibility.
eire1130

Post by eire1130 »

theSeb wrote:
JohnDeere318 wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing some Alfalfa, especially for hay, a more realistic way of doing hay I might add... :smileynew:
Making hay out of grass is very realistic. What makes alfalfa more realistic?
Alfalfa when dried is hay. It's just a higher protein source then a normal meadow. It also has a much higher yield per acre. If you are a small hobby farmer, then you might not care. But, if you intend to actually feed out hay as a fiber / protein source, you would probably not use normal normal grass. You can, of course, but your production would suffer and so farmers don't do it.

Now for beef, this might not be important, and I don't have personal experience with beef so I can't comment, but with 18 years of experience milking cows, I can say that we as a dairy farm never bailed normal grass fields for feed. We did bail normal grass fields for bedding and we would then chop that low quality hay in something that looked like this:

http://www.wille-construction.com/curre ... chopper-2/

The reason why it adds more realism is you can't just plant alfalfa and walk away like other grass / forage types. It has auto-toxicity so after about three years it starts to die off. We call this "winterkill". So "bad" winters you could end up with worse winterkill, for example.

However, even when you do get winterkill the roots are still intact and because it's a legume, the corn grown on the field the next year is usually great.

You can read more about that: https://www.farmingmagazine.com/dairy/p ... interkill/

Planting and seeding alfalfa is rather expensive, so it's a big deal in dairy areas to manage properly.

You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfalfa

So on this topic, and one of my key frustrations is that "silage" is completely generic in this game. No matter if it comes from corn, or grass it's just all "chaff" and this isn't at all how a diet regimen is managed on a modern farm.

In reality a dairy farmer would have at least two types of silage and possibly more. One that is alfalfa based and one that is corn based, but others are also possible such as sorghum or high moisture corn.

edit: I found this site from cornell that could also be useful to understand the different grass / legume types.

http://www.forages.org/index.php/tools2 ... lector-cat