Console Mod Contest?

ArizonaSnow

Console Mod Contest?

Post by ArizonaSnow »

After hearing just recently that the Mod Contest is PC only it has left most if not all of the Console owners miffed. I know that some people reckon the contest should have been for mods that only work on console which I totally disagree with as as said by Giants the contest was so modders could 'stretch their legs' and bring innovation to the game which I do agree with.

But as mods are new to Consoles, shouldn't we also get our own competition instead of being felt totally left out? As already stated by a few modders, mods are hard to bring to the consoles as you can't bring new scripts into the game you have to work with what is there and push the limits of the coding that you can work with. In a way it's a bit like back in the old Commodore 64 days, it's amazing what programmers did to push it to its limits, the same could be said about mods for the consoles. One example of an innovative mod was the Lely Juno, to PC owners it may have seemed bog standard, but it was a mod that did things we didn't expect it could do on consoles by being able to set it's working area. It would be a chance to bring innovation to the consoles too.

A contest for consoles may inspire the PC only modders to 'give it a go' and put their genius to work on consoles. It would make the console users happy so that they no longer have to feel left out and it would make Giants happy as more mods on the consoles would benefit them too. All round its a 'win win' situation.

And as with the PC only contest, only the Consoles should be able to download and test them and vote on them until the competition is completely over.
BigC92

Re: Console Mod Contest?

Post by BigC92 »

I dont get where your going with this, the PC mod contest isnt just released to PC only, most of the mods are coming to console... And if console player would make mods, they'd have to get a PC and software and a fs17 copy to make sure, the mods ive seen look phenomenal, not all of them will come to console, im ok with that, consoles are limited to a certain extent, i mean make the best of what we got.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

ArizonaSnow wrote:After hearing just recently that the Mod Contest is PC only it has left most if not all of the Console owners miffed. I know that some people reckon the contest should have been for mods that only work on console which I totally disagree with as as said by Giants the contest was so modders could 'stretch their legs' and bring innovation to the game which I do agree with.

But as mods are new to Consoles, shouldn't we also get our own competition instead of being felt totally left out? As already stated by a few modders, mods are hard to bring to the consoles as you can't bring new scripts into the game you have to work with what is there and push the limits of the coding that you can work with. In a way it's a bit like back in the old Commodore 64 days, it's amazing what programmers did to push it to its limits, the same could be said about mods for the consoles. One example of an innovative mod was the Lely Juno, to PC owners it may have seemed bog standard, but it was a mod that did things we didn't expect it could do on consoles by being able to set it's working area. It would be a chance to bring innovation to the consoles too.

A contest for consoles may inspire the PC only modders to 'give it a go' and put their genius to work on consoles. It would make the console users happy so that they no longer have to feel left out and it would make Giants happy as more mods on the consoles would benefit them too. All round its a 'win win' situation.

And as with the PC only contest, only the Consoles should be able to download and test them and vote on them until the competition is completely over.
We just had this debate and it's divided the community. A Moddershall should not be forced to make 2 versions of mods unless they want to
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

I agree with ArizonaSnow, have a contest for mods that work on console.
I agree with eric21 "A Moddershall should not be forced to make 2 versions of mods unless they want to". Exactly, if they don't want to, then don't, who cares.
It's not likely to happen though. Giants will get what they want from the current modding contest. Cheap innovation and creativity that they will use later for dlc or the next version.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
ArizonaSnow

Post by ArizonaSnow »

Who said anything about forcing anybody to do anything? People who entered the mod competition did so of their own free will, if there is a console mod competition people will also enter that of their own free will. The problem with text is that people always read things that aren't said, it is very hard to get over context with text only. The mod contest has been stated it is PC only, then what is the harm in requesting a Console only one. The community is divided because things aren't equal, I am only suggesting this to bring about equality.
hopalongali

Post by hopalongali »

I'm a console player and I'm not miffed. I'm just happy with whatever comes to the console and if a mod doesn't it isn't the end of the world, the base game is incredible anyway
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

hopalongali wrote:I'm a console player and I'm not miffed. I'm just happy with whatever comes to the console and if a mod doesn't it isn't the end of the world, the base game is incredible anyway
You nailed it.
Nigelbilt

Post by Nigelbilt »

Like 5 people got all whiny. Very very VERY few people are "miffed". I'm not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp. What part of this being a contest about modding and creating and not about platforms and players does not compute?

You guys need to come back to reality when you start bringing terms like "equality" into this. So ridiculous.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

Nigelbilt wrote:Like 5 people got all whiny. Very very VERY few people are "miffed". I'm not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp. What part of this being a contest about modding and creating and not about platforms and players does not compute?

You guys need to come back to reality when you start bringing terms like "equality" into this. So ridiculous.
I know its a video game. Equality has nothing to do with it
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

My own opinion.I dont really care about not voting.But most of the console guys are.When there is a money prize involved all the people who paid for this game should be allowed to vote.Your console players cant test them is not a good excuse.You dont get to test politicians when you vote either.But everybody that wishes to vote can.Its forced segregation by GIANTS.Console players should feel shafted.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

Nigelbilt wrote:Like 5 people got all whiny. Very very VERY few people are "miffed". I'm not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp. What part of this being a contest about modding and creating and not about platforms and players does not compute?

Why is it ridiculous ? Because their views and your views dont align doesnt make it ridiculous .
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Post by Lisertan »

As harsh as it might sound now (sorry if I'm a bit brutal here): The Mod Contest is not for the players. It's for the modders. It's for them to shine, to win something and that's what we aim for. It's great that we get amazing mods for sure and a lot of them will end up on console as well after the contest, but for now, it's on the platform where the people we aim for build them - on PC.

Once the contest is over, I can totally see the non-script mods of the contest getting a console version, I'm sure a lot of the modders will be happy to help here, but for the voting, this is the fair way, as ALL of them are on PC, but not all of them can be on console, so the voting wouldn't be fair anymore.
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
cr41g_1965

Post by cr41g_1965 »

anyone with access to a computer, smart phone or tablet can vote... I encourage one and all to vote.

https://www.farming-simulator.com/mods. ... lic&page=0
Last edited by cr41g_1965 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farming Simulator 76

playing RDR2
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Post by Lisertan »

cr41g_1965 wrote:anyone with access to a computer, smart phone or tablet can vote... I encourage one and all to vote.
So do we! Your vote can make a difference for the modders (there is a peeep ton of money at stake).
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
BullFarmer

Post by BullFarmer »

cr41g_1965 wrote:anyone with access to a computer, smart phone or tablet can vote... I encourage one and all to vote.
It would be silly for console players to vote though, since they haven't even used the mods so they don't know which ones have errors and problems, and plenty of them that I have tried do have problems.
Playing on PS4 and PC.
I7 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX960 2Gb graphics.

Farmer/tractor driver in real life.