Major stutter on all maps.

Nighteyez

Major stutter on all maps.

Post by Nighteyez »

Hello all,

Been playing FS-17 for about 2 and a half months, and have never experienced a problem like this until recently. I am playing 4 different maps, Goldcrest valley, American Outback, Giants Island, and Westbridge Hills. What started out as a minor annoyance is now a major problem. I have the Big Bud DLC, and all four maps have two Big buds on them, so I just assumed that anytime I was near them it would cause the game play to stutter. However, it has gotten so bad , that it happens all the time now. So I decided to try a test game. I chose the American Outback map, and only loaded two mods. The American Outback mod (of course) and the Jympa plow mod. To see if I had too many mods on my other maps. I also did not buy the big giant windmill thing to see if that was the cause, as all four of my maps have that. Well, it still stutters all the time, making it almost un-playable. Especially when plowing a new field. I only have one tractor and one combine on this test map, no windmills, and no Big Bud's or seed hawks. I don't get it. At first like I stated, it only happened randomly and for a short time. making me think the computer was doing something in the background. Now however, it happens every time I play FS-17 and it does not matter what map I play it on, or how little equipment I have. On the test map, I sold everything that was there at start up and upgraded. (Incidentally why on a map that only gives you one starter field do you start with three Case tractors? LOL) I only have one tractor, and the middle grade Case combine. I replaced the plow with the smallest Jympa plow, and got rid of the cultivator and seeder for the A-600-S I believe it is called that plows/cultivates/seeds all in one shot. It stills stutters. I tried turning off traffic, that did not help at all. I have made no hardware changes to the computer, and am playing the same version of the game I started with over two months ago, but something is causing it to stutter constantly, and I have not been able to find out what. it is not the mods, it is not Big Bud, so I am clueless.
Last edited by Nighteyez on Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Going through life one crop at a time. :coolnew:
FS-19 PC
Hairy Bob

Re: Major satutter on all maps.

Post by Hairy Bob »

If you post your log.txt on here, in spoiler tags or as an attachment, we can take a look and see what's going on.
Have your graphics card drivers updated lately? I had a similar issue with mine a while back and rolling back to an earlier driver cured it.
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
Preble 818

Re: Major satutter on all maps.

Post by Preble 818 »

I would also uncheck any mods for each save game that you aren't actively using on your maps especially maps. For certain don't have multiple maps checked on a save game.
Playing on PS5 in Ohio, USA.
Nighteyez

Re: Major stutter on all maps.

Post by Nighteyez »

Log.txt added as attachment. I have not updated my graphics card drivers, however, my card is a 4 year old GTX 660 so I am not even sure there are updated drivers for it. As for unchecking mods. Each of my 4 (now 5 with the test map) save game characters only has one map mod, the one they are using. And I try to keep the mods as low as possible. The test map only has two, and I still have the issue. I will look for updated video drivers. I was thinking of doing a total uninstall, and reinstalling the games but I really don't want to start from scratch and lose all the hours I have put into these characters.
Attachments
log.txt
(6.88 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Jim

FS-19 PC
DrunkFarmer

Post by DrunkFarmer »

Nighteyez wrote:Log.txt added as attachment. I have not updated my graphics card drivers, however, my card is a 4 year old GTX 660 so I am not even sure there are updated drivers for it. As for unchecking mods. Each of my 4 (now 5 with the test map) save game characters only has one map mod, the one they are using. And I try to keep the mods as low as possible. The test map only has two, and I still have the issue. I will look for updated video drivers. I was thinking of doing a total uninstall, and reinstalling the games but I really don't want to start from scratch and lose all the hours I have put into these characters.
Definitely feeling your pain. :sadnew:

I'm good on FPS for the most part, but gah, that stuttering. Here's my tip sheet -

- Some patches improve stuttering for me, and some have made it worse.
- I've got an AMD/Radeon app that updates my drivers, and Windoze tries to do it too. Sometimes they disagree on which is the newest driver. Rollbacks and retros have helped, but see above, some rollbacks help with a patch, and when the next patch hits I have to update to newer drivers, or vice versa.
- Some maps have FPS and stutter hotspots. Even Goldcrest - which is supposedly OK for low spec machines - had a couple hotspots a patch or two ago. Throw in mod maps, mod equipment, and CP, and there are a ton of combos that will put me in stuttering. Even certain angles on certain maps I know to avoid.
- There are some graphics settings that seem to put me into stuttering. Play around a bit in the advanced graphics settings, one slider at a time, and see if you find the culprit.
- You can back up your entire FS17 folder from Documents/MyGames, reinstall, and try it with a clean FS17 folder. If that helps bring mods back in a few at a time. If it didn't help you can drop your saved FS17 folder back into MyGames and have all your progress, no problem.
- You can copy savegame folders to a hold folder and experiment a bit. The savegame folders drop right back into the FS17 folder and show up ingame again. You can even CTRL+C, CTRL+V in the FS17 folder and get duplicate save games. They'll paste as savegame3-copy, or whatever. Just rename to a different number that isn't being used - eg, savegame4 - and you can have several versions of the same savegame to experiment with and not lose any progress.
- If you reinstall the whole game don't forget there is an input binding .XML, usually in C:\Program Files (x86)\Farming Simulator 2017\profileTemplate. Yours may be in a different place. If you have wheels and joysticks and gamepads all set up to your liking, find that input binding file and save it somewhere before you reinstall. Even if you save your savegame files somewhere a reinstall will overwrite all your key mappings. After you reinstall drop the input bindings file back into profileTemplate and all your keys and axis will be back.

Like always, backup before you try anything. Good luck!

-W
Nighteyez

Post by Nighteyez »

Thanks for the info, will have to do that as the stutter is driving me crazy.
Jim

FS-19 PC
Nighteyez

Post by Nighteyez »

I just installed the newest driver for the graphics card, and it doesn't seem to help with the stutter, but I did notice that now my beacon lights reflect off everything now. Before they just flashed with no reflections. Pretty cool. I did notice a slight improvement in stutter when first starting the map, but then it comes back just as bad as before. Will have to go through your list one at a time to see if I can get it fixed.
Jim

FS-19 PC
DrunkFarmer

Post by DrunkFarmer »

Nighteyez wrote:I just installed the newest driver for the graphics card, and it doesn't seem to help with the stutter, but I did notice that now my beacon lights reflect off everything now. Before they just flashed with no reflections. Pretty cool. I did notice a slight improvement in stutter when first starting the map, but then it comes back just as bad as before. Will have to go through your list one at a time to see if I can get it fixed.
Just some generic tips that may helps as well -

- Download Notepad++ if you don't have it already. It's the editor most of the FS crowd seems to use.
- Turn on the dev console if you haven't already. Go to the game.xml file in C:\YourPC\Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2017. Make a backup copy before you edit. Open game.xml with Notepad++. Find the lines

<development>
<controls>false</controls>
</development>

Replace false with true so it says

<development>
<controls>true</controls>
</development>

Save, and when you restart FS17 you can pressF2 to see framerate.

- Do a search for 'Windows startup edit' and turn off all the things you don't want running in the background. Search them individually if you're not sure whether you need them.
- Do a search for 'Remove Windows bloatware'. This will get rid of mah-jong, those stupid picture sharing apps that come with cameras, etc, etc.
- Before you run FS17 go into task manager and close anything trying to run in the background. Chrome likes to stay on, and it's a memory hog.
- Always right click and run FS17 as adminstrator
- After game is booted and stable press your Windows key to get to desktop. Right click in the task bar to and select Task Manager. Right click Giants Engine and select Go To Details. Right click Giants Engine and set priority to Above Normal or High. This seems to reset on me, so I do it every time I launch the game. Just takes a second.
- Try V-Sync on and off in the FS17 options. There are different opinions. Some people find it helps stutter when on. Others prefer it off. My reading says it syncs when you're over 60FPS, as that's the refresh rate of most monitors. If you're less than 60FPS you don't need it. That's the rumor, anyway. I prefer it off.

-W
Preble 818

Post by Preble 818 »

Just for curiosities sake try it without the csz set and ground modification. I've had some issues with both of those. I wonder if it's a mod conflict that's not showing up as an error. That can happen sometimes.
Playing on PS5 in Ohio, USA.
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

Welcome to farming simulator 17. I think the stutter is in the game to drive people crazy.Thankfully I'm already there.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
Rbk_3

Post by Rbk_3 »

I had the same thing happen on my 1080. Was fine before. I found out it was my Nvidia Driver. I downloaded one that was several versions old from March and now it is fine. Try downloading Driver 378.92 and see if it fixes it. It did for me

Here was my thread I created

viewtopic.php?f=896&t=113647

TacoFarmer wrote:Welcome to farming simulator 17. I think the stutter is in the game to drive people crazy.Thankfully I'm already there.
Well you're playing on PS4. Not exactly a powerful system now a days. If you really want to, you can run it at 4K solid 60fps, but you have to be willing to shell out &&
PC: 9600k/1080ti
thunderhawk

Post by thunderhawk »

turn V sync off
and this is my setting im running graphics on very high and im running gtx 660ti

Also try turning mirrors off when I first got game mine stuttered so bad it would make me sick trying to drive somewhere turned mirrors off and stutter went bye bye im running them now cause more updated drivers fixed mine but may not be the same for you
Dell XPS 720 Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme 3.0ghz
Liquid cooled with a 120mm x 240mm radiator twin 120mm cooler master SickleFlow fans
Nvidia GTX 660ti
Patch 1.4.4 Windows 7 home
Playing through a Sanyo 50" tv
Nighteyez

Post by Nighteyez »

Thank you all for your suggestions. Will have to try them. As for the cz set and ground modifications. The test map (AO) only has two mods. American Outback map, and the Jympa plows, and it stutters just as bad, so I have ruled out any mods. I went in yesterday and lowered my graphics from very high to low one step at a time, and although going to very low did help a little, it was still there, and still very annoying. I will try the mirrors off idea and the vsync idea. I just updated my drivers to the latest one, but to no effect, except the blinking lights now reflect off of everything which I like. I will look for that version of Nvidia drivers too. And try the xml mod. Will keep you posted. Hopefully something will work, and when it does, I'll post it here.
Jim

FS-19 PC
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

Rbk_3 wrote:I had the same thing happen on my 1080. Was fine before. I found out it was my Nvidia Driver. I downloaded one that was several versions old from March and now it is fine. Try downloading Driver 378.92 and see if it fixes it. It did for me

Here was my thread I created

viewtopic.php?f=896&t=113647

TacoFarmer wrote:Welcome to farming simulator 17. I think the stutter is in the game to drive people crazy.Thankfully I'm already there.
Well you're playing on PS4. Not exactly a powerful system now a days. If you really want to, you can run it at 4K solid 60fps, but you have to be willing to shell out &&
Stuttering on a PS4 XB1 or PC is still stuttering. None are safe.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
Nighteyez

Post by Nighteyez »

Turning off the Vsync has helped a lot. It still stutters but not nearly as much as it did with it on. Turning off mirrors did not help at all. I had already lowered it from 7 mirrors to 4, and then I lowered it to none, but the stutter was still there. The Vsync so far has shown the most improvement.
Jim

FS-19 PC