Pig food

Simon93

Pig food

Post by Simon93 »

Currently setting up for the arrival of pigs on my farm and was wondering if you need all the food mixture corn, wheat, soybean, sugar beets etc or can you just have one type of food?
GIGAByte HD7950, Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.4GHZ, Asus P8Z77-V, 8GB ram, CM STORM XORNET mouse, Razer Deathstalker Expert Keyboard.
ErwinR55

Re: Pig food

Post by ErwinR55 »

You can have one type of food, but they will not breed that quickly then.
You can feed them al sorts separately, however, if you are playing on easy the pigfood silo is the cheapest option to go for (cheaper to buy as selling the harvest gives you more money if sales are in the greens), and if you place it close enough to the feedtrough, you can even unload into a trailer and dump it in the trough without having to drive :).
PS4 player
Simon93

Post by Simon93 »

Well I can currently mix everything except potatoes and sugar beet as it's too expensive to start potato/sugar beet harvesting, just wondered if not having the little bit of potato/sugar beet affects the reproduction rate.
GIGAByte HD7950, Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.4GHZ, Asus P8Z77-V, 8GB ram, CM STORM XORNET mouse, Razer Deathstalker Expert Keyboard.
Ntw1986

Post by Ntw1986 »

Only by 5%
Simon93

Post by Simon93 »

That's good then, looks like I shall be starting pigs sooner than I thought :biggrin2:
Jwolfm3

Post by Jwolfm3 »

Pigs really don't require much for potatoes anyway.. I spent all the money to do huge potato harvest because I was shooting for 2500 pigs, made a junk load of pallets full of them to the point the game studdered (on PS4) and it took forever for them to eat a few pallets so I had to sell them all..
aklein

Post by aklein »

Looks like you play on PC, there is a mod out there that allows you to buy potato or beet pallets which you can use for the extra 5% since they use so little of that food type.
summerrider

Post by summerrider »

You can also just buy the expensive "pig food" option. It will fill what you are missing. So if all you are missing is the potato's/sugar beet, I would fill the trough with the other food types to capacity, and then add the pig food. It would then fill just the potato/sugar beet slot.
NateS

Post by NateS »

summerrider wrote:You can also just buy the expensive "pig food" option. It will fill what you are missing. So if all you are missing is the potato's/sugar beet, I would fill the trough with the other food types to capacity, and then add the pig food. It would then fill just the potato/sugar beet slot.
This is not true... just tried it. I have just 18 pigs. Filled the other 3 sections all the way then added a pig food pallet. While it did accept the pallet, on 50L (5%) went into root crops.
PC & PS4
summerrider

Post by summerrider »

I'll have to re-test it. I could have sworn that it just filled what you are missing. Not sure what I was looking at then, if that's not true.
Rickenbacker

Post by Rickenbacker »

Corn is the main component. I don't remember off the top of my head how much, but I think it's something like 60% productivity from corn alone. So as long as you feed them that, you can add the rest later.
NateS

Post by NateS »

Rickenbacker wrote:Corn is the main component. I don't remember off the top of my head how much, but I think it's something like 60% productivity from corn alone. So as long as you feed them that, you can add the rest later.
50% corn. 25% wheat or barley. 20% canola, sunflower, soybean. 5% potato or sugar beet
PC & PS4
ErwinR55

Post by ErwinR55 »

Pigfood also fills the other types of food added on top of a full bar for that type. So in that sense you can last them longer then 6 days if you want :)
PS4 player
NateS

Post by NateS »

ErwinR55 wrote:Pigfood also fills the other types of food added on top of a full bar for that type. So in that sense you can last them longer then 6 days if you want :)
I believe this is true. I have not tested it yet but let's say you left root crops empty and filled the others. They you should be able to add many extra pallets worth of pig food till the root crop portion is filled (at 50L per 1,000). I will test this tomorrow.
PC & PS4
aklein

Post by aklein »

aklein wrote:Looks like you play on PC, there is a mod out there that allows you to buy potato or beet pallets which you can use for the extra 5% since they use so little of that food type.
Here is that mod that lets you buy potato and sugar beets.

https://www.fs-uk.com/fs-mods/view/3839 ... -for-fs-17

$700 for 1000L of potato or sugar beets. cheaper than pig food pallets.