FS 19?

j_maybury

Re: FS 19?

Post by j_maybury »

[/quote]

So basically, you're blaming the modders for not improving Giants game because Giants released it to console? Seems a little retarded if you ask me. A lot of companies seem to have no problems making games for PC and console. And other companies don't rely exclusively on modders to make the game enjoyable after a week or two of playing the base game. You could always make some PC only mods yourself.[/quote]

NO! I solely blame Giants for merging the console platform with the PC platform, no one ells is to blame.
Oh! and since when exactly has a console ever been any good what so ever at playing a simulator game?????????
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

I guess some people just don't like consoles. There are plenty of genres, including simulators that work just fine as cross-platform. In the end, it's the developer and their abilities. If a developer is going to rely on modders to make their game enjoyable, they should provide the proper tools on all platforms. Maybe FS19 will offer a big improvement.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

thumbwiz wrote:I guess some people just don't like consoles. There are plenty of genres, including simulators that work just fine as cross-platform. In the end, it's the developer and their abilities. If a developer is going to rely on modders to make their game enjoyable, they should provide the proper tools on all platforms. Maybe FS19 will offer a big improvement.
Yeah i think folks are putting too much emphasis on modders, and not on Giants themselves. I mean it seems to me, many of these mods can be put out by Giants, and they can come free, or via DLC, for which we consolers are used to paying for things.

I mean don't get me wrong, there's some good mods out there, but nothing Giants couldn't have done. It seems at least to me, modders are doing nothing more than making Giants life easier, in that Giants don't have to put work into the material.

I think we tried it with the mods, and it just may have fell a bit flat. Hopefully on the next game we can have many more maps to start off out of the box. Say, 10 vastly different maps to start, and many more dlc to come, and maybe less emphasis on mods.

Also, a Map Editor may be a great implementation, in that there's already the tech to eliminate things by plows, and put in placeables. Some folks may want to add rail. I may want a more flat looking map with no mountains or hills (sort of a midwest feel).

It really should be that the next game should be about the possibilities of what consoles CAN do, rather than excuses as to why they cannot, in particular with the new machines coming about that can perform better than the average PC.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

As a relative newcomer to FS playing on the PS4 I'm surprised by how much Giants rely utterly on map modders to keep the game going. The game could survive without pretty much any mod bar the maps. The maps really are the backbone of the game. I kind of thought Giants would release a steady stream of their own maps to go along side the mod maps, rather than rely totally on the community (and on console a very small community) of map modders making decent maps. OxygenDavid is owed rather a lot from Giants IMHO. Without his amazing maps the game wouldn't be half of what it is.

thumbwiz wrote:I guess some people just don't like consoles.
There's always been a bizarre entitled snobbery towards console gamers from the PC crowd. They don't realise just how much console sales help studios keep going by helping them reach a far bigger market. Some franchises and genres clearly don't work as well on console but Farming Simulator doesn't appear to be one of them. Sure, there are compromises but crucially none of them are game breaking.
j_maybury wrote:
Oh! and since when exactly has a console ever been any good what so ever at playing a simulator game?????????
Seems ok to me. I may not be getting the full FS experience on the PS4 but I'm getting enough of it to make it worthwhile.
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

i agree Giants is relying on map modders too much. FS17 we got one new map and one recycled map at the beginning. 17 should have been a dlc for 15 instead of a full priced game. I hope they make some big steps for the next rev because I really love the game. I won't be paying full price again for "save as" "rename" like I did for 15 and 17.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
Beaner8132

Post by Beaner8132 »

j_maybury wrote:To have consoles linked with the PC version was the biggest mistake Giants has ever made!
Who knows where the game would be right now if it wasn't for the consoles holding back the progress of the game.
Consoles are nothing but an hindrance as to where FS17 should be right now, !!!!!!THEY ARE NOT COMPATABLE!!!!!!
Ok so I saw this comment and just had to reply. Firstly Giants brought the games to console to expand their playerbase. I don't have any exact figures but I would suspect that they more than doubled there playerbase when they brought it to console. Secondly I saw your comment about how Giants pressure modders to add console compatibility. If that were true then why was the mod contest kept strictly on PC. That was done so modders could go in any direction they wanted to and wouldn't have to worry about getting beat by a mod that wasn't as good but was compatible with console. I'm a console player and I will admit that we have way too many people that post that they want/need this or that. It is entirely up to the modder if they want to put in the extra work to bring it to console. But don't say that consoles are holding back the game. I'm fairly certain that the extra money they get from console sales and dlc go into making the next game even better.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Beastofwar wrote:I would be disappointed if it wouldn't offer dynamic deformable terrain.

Think of it : the only reason you need tractors and big wheel farming vehicles is you need to pull heavy things or carry heavy weight and drive over or through ground that deforms and gives a lot less friction then a road.
I agree that trucks should have a harder time off-road than tractors, and it should not really be possible to plow a field using a semi truck.

However, that's and deformable terrain are really different issues. I would call "deformable terrain" the ability to literally remake your map: to be able to use a shovel or bulldozer to move dirt and raise and lower parts of the terrain while playing, rather than doing it all in the map editor.

My ideal simulator would have the player dropped off next to a two-lane highway, surrounded by procedurally generated hills, grass, and trees: no roads, no pre-defined fields, no buildings. The only equipment you have is your RV and a dream. As you spend your inheritance money, semi trucks drive up and drop off the equipment you need to start a farm: a tractor, a bulldozer, a harvester, and the necessary implements we already know and love.

The first thing you have to do is clear and level a field to plant some grain. While that's growing, you level an area for the grain buyer to come in and set up his silo. Then, you start clearing a little more ground for your farmhouse, eventually starting a small town where your workers can live and play.

After a while, you've hired enough workers that the farm is running itself. Workers drive the tractors, sow and harvest the fields, and sell the resulting grain. You start to feel that itch, again, so you buy a new RV, set off down the road, and find a new place to start a new farm...

Yeah, I've been thinking about this. The two things I really want to see are the ability to change the landscape while in the game, along with a limitless, procedurally generated map. Even if nothing else (equipment, crops, etc) changed, those two things would be more than enough for me to fork over my money for a new version of the game.
PC | XBox One | American Outback, Westbridge
Scotia1314

Post by Scotia1314 »

Tomxp411. I like your comments,I too would like to change the terrain. Here in my part of Scotland the fields can get very steep,I'd love to see that in a map,the closest I've seen is oxygen Dave British farm C.P farm map. Field 17 I think.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

Scotia1314 wrote:Tomxp411. I like your comments,I too would like to change the terrain. Here in my part of Scotland the fields can get very steep,I'd love to see that in a map,the closest I've seen is oxygen Dave British farm C.P farm map. Field 17 I think.
Coldborough Park Farm is done by BulletBill but yeah I'd like to see a few more maps with hills in them. One of the reasons I really like CPF is that its one of the few maps with hills.

Something I've said in the past is that it would be quite interesting for Giants to introduce hillside levelling into the game.
Scotia1314

Post by Scotia1314 »

Sorry about that my bad. Its a great map and there is no lag in it. Being able to adjust incline/decline would be awesome but that's way beyond me..as my Sgt. Likes to remind me...I'm a blunt instrument lol. Hats off to modders.
Beastofwar

Post by Beastofwar »

Mobias wrote:
There's always been a bizarre entitled snobbery towards console gamers from the PC crowd. They don't realise just how much console sales help studios keep going by helping them reach a far bigger market. Some franchises and genres clearly don't work as well on console but Farming Simulator doesn't appear to be one of them. Sure, there are compromises but crucially none of them are game breaking.
Console games long had the disadvantage many needed to be backward compatible. You then get "gimped down" games because they need to be able to run on older hardware with severe hardware limitations. For example a powerful modern console still running a game designed to not use more then 1 GB memory !

PC gamers dislikes probably came from the fact increasingly more games are cross platform designed or ports from consoles so they get to feel this backwards compatebility fenomena too. In PC gaming it was often the other way around : for a new game you need a new PC or it might be a slide show or not run at all !

You can imagine PC gamers discovering their "gimped" ported or cross platform game only using 1 GB of their 8-16 GB memory or even more will be "displeased" as they realize the game could/should have had way more features and then go compare console technology to hammering runes in clay tablets......and in general would be opposed to the idea more of that comng to their PC's instead of true potential PC games.

But consoles are getting much stronger too ( often were already but could not run at full potential ) and backward compatibility must be let loose. And in future cross platform is all game developers would want to invest in as small niches ( 1 system type ) are not a good investment anymore. We can expect hardware and software to be more compatible between systems in the near future. So this issue may well solve itself :mrgreen:
Intel i5 3570K 3.40 GHZ (Quad Core)
8 GB Memory DDR3
R9 280 GFX card 3GB DDR5
1x 64GB SDD 1x 128 GB SDD 1x 1TB HDD
Win 10 Professional 64 bit
eric21

Post by eric21 »

j_maybury wrote:
So basically, you're blaming the modders for not improving Giants game because Giants released it to console? Seems a little retarded if you ask me. A lot of companies seem to have no problems making games for PC and console. And other companies don't rely exclusively on modders to make the game enjoyable after a week or two of playing the base game. You could always make some PC only mods yourself.[/quote]

NO! I solely blame Giants for merging the console platform with the PC platform, no one ells is to blame.
Oh! and since when exactly has a console ever been any good what so ever at playing a simulator game?????????[/quote]
So why is it doing so well in console than other console games?
BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

eric21 wrote: So why is it doing so well in console than other console games?
Ummm, because it is WAY cheaper than other 'mainstream' games.

I have to agree that with 'porting' FS to consoles the game has been gimped and the only reason that Giant's did it, was not to increase player base, but the usual $$$$ (profit margin), no other reason.

The owners of Giant's are laughing all the way to the bank because modders are making so much free content for them which they (Giants) would normally have to pay developers to make, so again, $$$$ is the main reason (and probably the only one) they made the game 'portable' and let modders add so much 'extra' content which Giants has been to lazy to develop themselves.

Cheers :hi:
Aging disgracefully and taking nothing with me!!!!
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

BlackThumb wrote:
I have to agree that with 'porting' FS to consoles the game has been gimped and the only reason that Giant's did it, was not to increase player base, but the usual $$$$ (profit margin), no other reason.

Even if it has been 'gimped' by bringing it to console (and I don't believe it has, the PC version is still thriving and will always be the game's natural home ) surely thats a small price to pay for the fact that millions more people are getting to enjoy it on console?

The extra success on console will presumably mean Giants will be laughing all the way to the bank to then use those extra profits to invest in the studio, hire more staff, and keep developing the game. On the one hand you've got lots of people on this forum complaining about patches not coming out quick enough and stuff being released without being thoroughly tested and on the other hand you've got people begrudging the game being successful now across multiple platforms. Having worked in the games industry I know that the success of the console version of the game will benefit ALL players of FS in the long run.

I am sympathetic to the argument that Giants perhaps rely too much on modders, particularly map modders (which really provide the backbone of the game) but see my above point about Giants being able to invest in more staff and perhaps start producing more content in house. We'll see.....
eric21

Post by eric21 »

BlackThumb wrote:
eric21 wrote: So why is it doing so well in console than other console games?
Ummm, because it is WAY cheaper than other 'mainstream' games.

The owners of Giant's are laughing all the way to the bank because modders are making so much free content for them which they (Giants) would normally have to pay developers to make, so again, $$$$ is the main reason (and probably the only one) they made the game 'portable' and let modders add so much 'extra' content which Giants has been to lazy to develop themselves.

Cheers :hi:
Isn't that the main reason of every company? To make money? If they hadn't now, FS would of come to consoles sooner or later. Other PC games have followed suite, World of tanks, war thunder, cities skylines, mine craft just name a few