Question about licenses.

Kamoore65536

Question about licenses.

Post by Kamoore65536 »

As a relative newcomer to FS and having played from the 2013 release to FS 17, I am curious as to how long the licenses last for equipment in the game. The FS version from 2013 had Deutz Fahr Harvesters in it but has not had in the versions since. In the original Hagenstadt map I used all Deutz Fahr equipment and was disappointed there were none available when the new release of Hagenstadt appeared.

Thanking you in advance for your replies.
Playing on a PS4 & PS4 Pro.
Added a PC at Christmas time.
i7-7700 quad core 3.6GHz(4.2GHz Turbo)
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
120 GB SATA solid State Drive
1TB SATA III hard Drive
Added a 4K TV
Added a PS5.
GruttePier

Re: Question about licenses.

Post by GruttePier »

I guess they have the licence for one FS only, so for a new FS, they have to renew those licenses or they just get an agreement with new brands. But i'm not hu**..
CPU: 4690k @ 4.3ghz Cooling: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3
MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
GPU: MSI GTX 970 oc'd
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3-1600MHz
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB | Kingston V300 120GB
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Yeah, this is a question only Giants can answer, and I'm betting they're not going to disclose their business affairs in public without good reason.

If I had to guess, I'd probably agree with GruttePier - that the licensing deal is specific to each release, and that a company will ask for money based on what they think they can get.

With regards to DF, It could be that Deutz Fahr asked for too much money, that Giants just wasn't interested, or even that another farm sim software maker asked for an exclusive license.
PC | XBox One | American Outback, Westbridge
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

This is an interesting question, as Tom said, only a GIANTS official could answer this.
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
Loerwyn

Post by Loerwyn »

Kamoore65536 wrote:As a relative newcomer to FS and having played from the 2013 release to FS 17, I am curious as to how long the licenses last for equipment in the game. The FS version from 2013 had Deutz Fahr Harvesters in it but has not had in the versions since. In the original Hagenstadt map I used all Deutz Fahr equipment and was disappointed there were none available when the new release of Hagenstadt appeared.

Thanking you in advance for your replies.
Might be bumping this a little late (only 2-3 weeks, mind) but I think one thing to bear in mind is that a lot of the companies GIANTS work with are having changes and moving around. If you follow agri machinery news, you'll find that brands are changing focus and owners as well as regions, so what might be a Challenger-branded item in one market could be a Fendt in another. There have been a lot of shake-ups in recent years so that could be why some vehicles won't be appearing - they don't fit with the manufacturer's current plans for that machine or brand.
FS17 Newbie.
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Post by Lisertan »

It depends on the contracts really. We have to negotiate the terms with every company. Some of them are limited by time (use our stuff till 2020 or something) some of them can be limited by games (you can use our stuff for the next 3 games) and so on. There is no clear "that's how we do it", as it's not only our call. We do our best to get as many licenses as possible of course.
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
eric21

Post by eric21 »

So in a way, they are promoting Thier latest products?
Lisertan

Post by Lisertan »

eric21 wrote:So in a way, they are promoting Thier latest products?
Again: Depends. Everyone has their goals. Take Big Bud for expample. Big Buds are vanishing as they are not build anymore, so for them a small part of the decision to work with us was the fact that they want to preserve their legacy, so to speak.
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
eric21

Post by eric21 »

That was nice of them teaming up with you! I wanna know about more behind li the scenes on how giants work with companies
Lisertan

Post by Lisertan »

That might actually be a nice idea for some videos or something, I'm just not sure if our bosses want us to talk about details, but maybe we can create a nice overview at least.
Community Manager

Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

I like that idea. It'd be kinda cool to see how it works
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
Carter345

Post by Carter345 »

Ya but we are still getting the Deutz Fahr tractors i would assume they would be the same license unless you have to get separate licenses for tractors and combines