Upcoming West Coast map

Xboxfarmsim

Re: Upcoming West Coast map

Post by Xboxfarmsim »

BulletBill83 wrote:On my Dedicated server Multiplayer game we are running the 6 farms as separate farms, each managed by a different player.
Then we help out our neighbours as when its needed.

Each farm manager can choose what crops to plant, and what machinery to start with.

It works well as each farm has roughly 15 fields each.
You stole my plans lol only joking, can't believe we had the same idea
Massive respect to all the modders
Xboxfarmsim

Post by Xboxfarmsim »

My personal save is gonna have everything sold off and I'm gonna get a fleet of old MF using the BSM pack and work my way up to modern kit
Hendi26

Post by Hendi26 »

Xboxfarmsim wrote:My personal save is gonna have everything sold off and I'm gonna get a fleet of old MF using the BSM pack and work my way up to modern kit
That sounds like a plan! Loving that idea
Xboxfarmsim

Post by Xboxfarmsim »

Hendi26 wrote:
Xboxfarmsim wrote:My personal save is gonna have everything sold off and I'm gonna get a fleet of old MF using the BSM pack and work my way up to modern kit
That sounds like a plan! Loving that idea
Cheers
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

Done the same on old streams farm,it's certainly made it more enjoyable....a poor farmer with stuff equipment just starting out! Think I'll go with that!
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

this_is_gav wrote:
TomXP411 wrote:
Terrier930 wrote:Well if west coast has failed again I think bulletbill should call it a day for console version of this map. I really do appreciate the hard work he has put into this map to try and bring it out for console. But surely they has to be a point where enough is enough. Think this is 3rd time it's failed now.
Why? That's the job. A piece of software will often go through *thousands* of iterations before it's ready for public consumption. 3 testing failures during final integration testing is nothing; that's just a lazy afternoon where I come from. :-)
Sorry, I felt compelled to sign up to respond. Giants obviously have to make sure that mods are compatible for consoles before releasing them, but your querying why Bulletbill should call it day makes it sound like he does this for a living and has a obligation to get the map out. He has a full time job and a family to look after on top of modding for the benefit of people such as yourself, and yet he's probably spent more time in the past couple of weeks trying to fix issues than he has spent with his family.

Testing software is one thing - it's generally a full-time job in itself on top of those employed to develop the software - but that isn't possible for such a vast project when you're not releasing a commercial product and don't have access to the tools necessary for testing it.

This isn't something he has to release by any stretch of the imagination, it's something he wants to release, but as suggested, at times he's probably come close to saying enough is enough and concentrating on what matters most - and modding will come a fair way down that list.
You are really missing the point of what I was saying.

I write software for a living, and it's a messy, time-consuming process. A few testing failures this close to the finish line is nothing, compared to the work put in on this map.

Now Terrier930 comes along and starts suggesting the guy who created this map just give up, right before it's really done? Thata makes no sense, and if BB did walk away from this now, it would be a waste of all those years of effort.

For a project of this size, giving up after 2 testing failures is just crazy talk.
PC | XBox One | American Outback, Westbridge
RaV23

Post by RaV23 »

Someone know what are the field sizes? in ha?
For example:
Filed 1 - 4,2ha
Filed 2 - 0,5ha etc
FS 17 Gold Crest Valley 360h/ Sosnovka 300h/ The Valley The Old Farm 440h :mrgreen:
FS 19 Fellsburn 160h / currently The Old Farm Countryside 100h+ / waiting for seasons...
PS4 Player
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Post by Lisertan »

Ntw1986 wrote:I think QA team will prioritise west coast just to shut up all us console users lol
Pretty much.. yeah :D

We understand you guys really want the map, so we put priority on testing it. There are still things QA has to do that are even more important for the company, but when it comes to mod testing, QA has an eye on the West Coast.
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

RaV23 wrote:Someone know what are the field sizes? in ha?
For example:
Filed 1 - 4,2ha
Filed 2 - 0,5ha etc
The field sizes range from as little as 0.2ha to 6ha.
Xboxfarmsim

Post by Xboxfarmsim »

Lisertan wrote:
Ntw1986 wrote:I think QA team will prioritise west coast just to shut up all us console users lol
Pretty much.. yeah :D

We understand you guys really want the map, so we put priority on testing it. There are still things QA has to do that are even more important for the company, but when it comes to mod testing, QA has an eye on the West Coast.
Not hoping to jinx it but Sat here with everything crossed
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

TomXP411 wrote:
this_is_gav wrote:
TomXP411 wrote:
Why? That's the job. A piece of software will often go through *thousands* of iterations before it's ready for public consumption. 3 testing failures during final integration testing is nothing; that's just a lazy afternoon where I come from. :-)
Sorry, I felt compelled to sign up to respond. Giants obviously have to make sure that mods are compatible for consoles before releasing them, but your querying why Bulletbill should call it day makes it sound like he does this for a living and has a obligation to get the map out. He has a full time job and a family to look after on top of modding for the benefit of people such as yourself, and yet he's probably spent more time in the past couple of weeks trying to fix issues than he has spent with his family.

Testing software is one thing - it's generally a full-time job in itself on top of those employed to develop the software - but that isn't possible for such a vast project when you're not releasing a commercial product and don't have access to the tools necessary for testing it.

This isn't something he has to release by any stretch of the imagination, it's something he wants to release, but as suggested, at times he's probably come close to saying enough is enough and concentrating on what matters most - and modding will come a fair way down that list.
You are really missing the point of what I was saying.

I write software for a living, and it's a messy, time-consuming process. A few testing failures this close to the finish line is nothing, compared to the work put in on this map.

Now Terrier930 comes along and starts suggesting the guy who created this map just give up, right before it's really done? Thata makes no sense, and if BB did walk away from this now, it would be a waste of all those years of effort.

For a project of this size, giving up after 2 testing failures is just crazy talk.
I don't want this to come across the wrong way as this sounds condescending and I don't mean it to, but it would only be giving up on console users - it's already passed testing and been released for PC for weeks so the initial goal was met. He didn't have to do anymore at all. When he started making the map console mods weren't even on the horizon, they didn't exist at all and outside of Giants we didn't know they ever would exist. Having to redo large portions of the map for consoles was never part of the plan.

I've been on his testing team and I know the hell he's been through in the past few weeks. He's had setbacks with the final stages of the map, far more than most here known, but he's getting there. Thankfully Giants have pulled out all the stops to support him as much as they have otherwise he'd still be shooting blind with tens of thousands (yes, tens of thousands) of lines of fail codes to fix, errors that weren't even a thing until a couple of weeks ago.

Edit: PS there have been many more testing fails than people realise. The map has probably been uploaded 3x what people think and each time different errors were coming back. The fixes have been a lot more complex than just changing some texture formats and the odd error.
Jamie77

Post by Jamie77 »

Looks like BB has resubmitted west coast hopefully it passes
Xboxfarmsim

Post by Xboxfarmsim »

Any news yet by chance?
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

My cat has her paws crossed.

BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Mobias wrote:My cat has her paws crossed.

Loving this. :lol: