logging most profitable way

fireknackers

logging most profitable way

Post by fireknackers »

what is much more profitable?

selling whole logs or turning in to wood chips and sell it?
aklein

Re: logging most profitable way

Post by aklein »

logs never drop in price. woodchips price will drop as you sell them. I have not done the math to figure out how many wood chips you get out of a tree that is a given size to then figure out at what price the woodchips need to be to make more than selling the tree cut up into decent size logs.

There is a point that smaller trees or the narrow top parts of the trees is more cost effective as woodchips than as whole but one could argue that the time to size sort may counter any true money benefit.

A good semi trailer load of logs will get you close to $30K all day long. a decent size tipper of chips might bring you 10K on a good price and then by the time you sell the second load of chips that price will be lower.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

On the long term, making money with a set price (Jenz HE 700 STA placeable chipper) out of wood chips is the best way that works for me right now.

I hate logging and unless the prices change I'll never do it.
Too much work for almost nothing compared to wood chips.
PS5 / FS22
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

aklein wrote:A good semi trailer load of logs will get you close to $30K all day long. a decent size tipper of chips might bring you 10K on a good price and then by the time you sell the second load of chips that price will be lower.
I don't know which trailer are you referring for the logs but BsM 70k tipper fills up with 3-4 big trees and if the price is arround 400 you get apprx. 30k for that tipper. And I don't think that 30k price you give can be achieved from 3-4 big trees only out of logging.

Btw, if you use the Jenz placeable chipper you get a set price. Yes it lower than a green or a high demand price but not that much lower and as it is a set price you can make considerable amount of money compared to logging.
PS5 / FS22
Goose66

Post by Goose66 »

The Jenz placeable for me too. Usually around 9-10k per large tree and price never stops.
The drawback is of course the chipper is in one place so with a large area, can take some time.
Playing on PC....Hollandscheveld maizeplus map
Suffolk, England
Discord ...Goose66
Frantic Farmer

Post by Frantic Farmer »

Not sure about the chips but I do 26k -30k using the new BSM log trailer and the scorpion king cutting the biggest logs and it probs takes 20 mins or so to fill. So yeah not bad little profit for downtime. Don't forget to replant those little guys though.
Last edited by Frantic Farmer on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PS4/ Thornton/ American outback : UK Player :hi:
Guil

Post by Guil »

The jenz chipper is only around 220 per 1000L on normal. That's much less than what you get most of the time at the biomass plant. Using the 70k trailer it can be a big difference.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

I play on easy most of the time. So the Jenz difference is not that much for me. Actually in some maps, wood chip prices are so low that they can't reach to Jenz level even at a green pirce. So, in long term, there is no better way other than Jenz on easy mode imo.
PS5 / FS22
Guil

Post by Guil »

That doesn't make sense because the price for woodchops will be much higher on easy.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

As do the set price of Jenz and as far as I'm aware the wood chips pirces, for some reason, doesn't really go that high.
The highest prices in FS17 I've seen so far is in Lawfolds on easy and even in there wood chips are around 800 at a green price, if my memory serves well.

Of course Jenz price will always be lower as it is a set price but while you wait for a good price at the sell points you can continue chipping with Jenz and making more money at the end of the day.
PS5 / FS22
Guil

Post by Guil »

My point is though that generally the sell price for woodchops is nearly double the price of the jenz.
Obviously it drops after selling but it will take a while before it drops enough to make selling via the jenz profitable.
Guil

Post by Guil »

And I'm confusing things massively. Sorry I'm dead tired the last two days and for some reason though you meant the heating plant peaceable.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

No prob. :hi: I hope you get a good rest soon. It is really hard to work while tired.

And yes the heizomat placeable heating plant's prices are really too low. It is almost useless in the existence of Jenz placeable.
PS5 / FS22
masterplan

Post by masterplan »

Back in the day I used Ponsse Scorpionking + mobile chipper (Jenz-something, not the placeable one) to make some hell of a pile of chips. Then JCB wheelloader + 2x BsM 70k L tippers and of I went. Did quite a lot of money on it. You know save & load always says a proper "truck you" to price drop, right? ;-)
FS22 @ Xbox Series X | waiting for a cool mod map :biggrin2:
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

I collected the gold nuggets last night :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Your's are still on the ground or what?
PS5 / FS22