FS17 vs GTA5

Joshj27a

FS17 vs GTA5

Post by Joshj27a »

It seems to me that the folks over at Giants are not very good developers. In GTA5 you have massive open world with so much going on. So many things to do and so many things to see. If you compare the games abilities you would think that FS17 would be compatible with Nintendo 64. FS is trees rivers rocks and fields. It seems as though it would require half the data and still be 100x better than it is now. So what is really going on? I have 100 pieces of equpitment on my farm and can't drive a vehicle without the aggravating FPS screwing up. So are the people at Giants novice or am I missing something?
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Re: FS17 vs GTA5

Post by Lisertan »

So what you try to say is: A company with 900 people and several billions in cash (Rockstar) is able to create a game with more features in 5 years (GTA 4 was 2008 GTA 5 2013) than a small company with 30 people and way less cash in 2 years?

Who would have guessed?

On a more serious note: We are not Rockstar, Blizzard, Ubisoft or EA, we are a small company, but we will always to our best to make the game as good as possible.
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
Joshj27a

Post by Joshj27a »

All I asked is what was I missing. Thanks for pointing that out. I hope in the future y'all are able to grow in to a company like that and create better and better games.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Giants is a much, much, much smaller company than Rockstar. A simulator game fits in a niche market and will never generate revenue on the level of a blockbuster like GTA. Therefore, it's a much smaller group of people working on the game. It could be much better, sure. But if you want to play a farming video game, right now nothing comes close to FS. That's just the way it is. As long as the popularity continues to grow, it will get better - whether that's with Giants or another company, that's up to them. I think the exponential growth of FS was a surprise even to Giants. I personally never thought it would be a successful console game, at least not as successful as it was on PC. But I would bet their revenue from consoles has far surpassed what they've made on PC.

TL;DR. They're not as big of a company, so they have fewer game developers.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Post by Lisertan »

Joshj27a wrote:All I asked is what was I missing. Thanks for pointing that out. I hope in the future y'all are able to grow in to a company like that and create better and better games.
No worries :) and we hope so was well. We are growing and I think our games show that as well, but we are still far away from being the next Ubisoft.
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
Guil

Post by Guil »

It's been explained many times but while it may not seem so, fs has far far more individual items to process than say gta. What happens when you want to switch character in gta? 10-15 seconds loading time.
Farm-war

Post by Farm-war »

Jejejje not my friend is more time delay till 8 minutes load in gta ,, but I believe in my opinion it is true giants is growing just and the truth I believe they are on the right track I really hope for future and I bet everything for fs 19 that will be Even better I'm a console player and I stand good game with some bugs but playable so my friend do not expect something like that overnight have patience everything goes well with giants ,,, let's giants let him look forward to games
*thumbsup* *thumbsup* Hello, I am currently playing on a MSI gtx 1660 ti pc, AMD ryzen 5 3600, 16 gb ram 500 GB SSD :gamer: :gamer: :gamer:
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

When I read the OP's post I thought the point is optimization other than having more advanced technology or more financial freedom.
Admittedly I'm not an expert on the issue but is it possible to alter the base code and physics to act gentler on the CPU and GPU Lisertan?

Back in the days, when I was a PC gamer there was this tug of war where ATI and NVIDIA were fighting to make developers optimize their games to work better and more efficient in one of those GPU's resulting the same game performing much better on either ATI or NVIDIA while performing worse on the other. Even I had friends with 2 PC's build around ATI and NVIDIA cards just to play the games at their best. I'm not sure if this is still a thing but if it can be done this way, may be it can also be done the other way around. Like optimizing the game performance instead of advnacing it. As I said, I'm not an expert and I might totally be bull s*** here.
PS5 / FS22
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

Lisertan wrote:
Joshj27a wrote:All I asked is what was I missing. Thanks for pointing that out. I hope in the future y'all are able to grow in to a company like that and create better and better games.
No worries :) and we hope so was well. We are growing and I think our games show that as well, but we are still far away from being the next Ubisoft.
My own personal experience dealing with Ubisoft support and GIANTS support is GIANTS support was way more professional.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Well not to throw ea under the bus, but I'd rather have a complete game, one that has few bugs, than something like battlefield where you pay for bug fixes, and they are a company much bigger than Giants (no offfence @lis :lol:)
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Princeguardian

Post by Princeguardian »

Okay been giants fan since beginning, oh yeah found my 2008 copy for pc, then 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014 phone, 2015 pc, 2015 xbox, 2016 phone, 2017 xbox miss my pc :frown: , and now 2018 phone. Lets just say i might have played game a little bit. The progress Giants has made is unbelievable. Go check out some of the videos from the first games. No offense here Giants but some of those tractors now look like they were straight out of mine craft. You think helpers are bad now? In the beginning well lets just say i didnt use them much. I think 2008 only had wheat. I pretended canola or rape was soybeans in a couple of installments because there wasn't soybeans. There wasn't header graphics like now when your header actaully looks like its harvesting. Animals nope. I mean literally in the beginning you played fs because nobody else was making a farming game. Now sure jd made American farmer and drive green but that was it. Giants has come a long way from then. And yes there are times i look at skyrim, had it on pc and have it on console, and say dang look at the graphics, but i still cant roll through skyrim in a case quad track plowing fields now can i? Giants will get there. They are kind of like novacaine you got to let it develope. Each title in the series has gotten better. There have been other games that i have played where titles one two and five were good but 3 and 4 stunk. Giants has only ever gone up and i believe they will only continue to do so.
Princeguardian

Post by Princeguardian »

As a side note and in all humor :biggrin2: maybe in a few more installments and dlcs i will have invested enough for a jd agreement and a classic pack with each installment. But in all seriousness giants i love your work. *thumbsup*
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

Just to add to what Lisertan said and to give some sort of perspective of how difficult it is to make any computer game these days. Even with almost 1000 people and well over a $100 million budget it still took Rockstar almost 5 years, give or take, to make GTA V. Rumour has it GTAVI was started back in 2012 and won't see the light of day until 2020 at the earliest. Thats how long it takes to make a game like that.

Personally I'd rather have a game like FS, at what it is, every 2 years. Massive AAA productions like GTA are great but they're not the be all and end all of the gaming world.
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

I see this question come up frequently. A major reason is that FS and games like GTA are vastly different in execution. In a game like GTA, they use some clever tricks to make it look like a big living world. As an example, the entire world of GTA doesn't need to be living at all times, only when a player is present. The area you are in will be active, but other areas of the map will be inactive. FS can't get away with that level of optimization. Although vehicles are only displayed when they are within your draw distance, you still want that field on other side on map to continue to be cultivated by the worker you hired. Another good point is detail level. I'm constantly impressed by the amount detail in FS vehicles. A game like GTA doesn't need quite that level of detail. Handling increased levels of detail means you have to compromise by dialing back somewhere else.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
pigpen

Post by pigpen »

I have never played FS2008 or 09 I started with FS2011. FS2017 is so much better. I think FS2013 is what put Giants on the map. I also play The Sims. EA took a step back when they made Sims 4. Sims3 had a full world where you could drive cars now if you want go somewhere you have to wait for the game to load. BTW Sims4 cost me about 70 dollars not including all the expansion and stuff packs I bought.
Alienware PC.