FS17 vs GTA5

Weedy weed NL

Re: FS17 vs GTA5

Post by Weedy weed NL »

Agree on that earnest pea, exactly what you said, the world is inactive ( for the most part), and for a company like giants they did a very good job, its all money related though, FS17 is a very detailed and that's what people like in games, more detail gives the game a more realistic feeling allround, ofcourse there are flaws just like any other game actually.
Xbox one player
Feel free to add me
Gamer tag: Weedy weed NL
tom5051
Boardurlaub/Boardholidays

Post by tom5051 »

For a company with 30 employees and a small budget, Giants have produced the most amazing game that I have ever played.
GTA V is not really an open world, you have to complete missions in some form of order, doing whatever you want gets boring quickly and the story line is pathetic. For the money Rockstar spent on making GTA V, it's not particularly good nor ground breaking.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I've done my fair share of Grand Theft of the Autos... but I've spend waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more time plowing, mowing, baling, combining, cutting, chipping, hauling, feeding, etc... than probably all other games I've played put together.

As long as Giants keeps making the game better without adding unnecessary filler, quick-time events, cut-scenes, OP DLC (could the Big Bud pack count as that???); I'll keep buying FS.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

Weedy weed NL, tom5051, and fenixguy: agree with everything you guys said. Giants produces an amazing game. Sure, there are things I'd like to see change, but I'm pretty happy with FS17. I put far more hours in it than anything else I play or have played. FS13 was my first and I've bought everything since (DLCs included) on multiple platforms. Sometimes it was just to support a good developer. I'm not a fan of the ITRunner pack, but I bought it on FS15 anyway.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
Sonek4

Post by Sonek4 »

Lisertan wrote:So what you try to say is: A company with 900 people and several billions in cash (Rockstar) is able to create a game with more features in 5 years (GTA 4 was 2008 GTA 5 2013) than a small company with 30 people and way less cash in 2 years?

Who would have guessed?

On a more serious note: We are not Rockstar, Blizzard, Ubisoft or EA, we are a small company, but we will always to our best to make the game as good as possible.
Very, really well said Lisertan!!!
I've been playing FS17 every day for the last four months and this game doesn't stop amazing me! And i want more and look forward to have FS19 soon as it got released! GTA 5 is a really good game indeed but isn't fair to do such a comparison: and even those big companies does some mistakes from time to time, like Ubisoft did in Assassin's Creed Unity and had had to release almost a new game as patches, lol. So, for a tiny company with a not so rich bank account you guys are doing an excellent work! Don't mind players too much: we can sometimes be really unfair like this. Keep doing the great work! Grow stronger and you may do even better than some big fishes around there. Thank you!
Sonek4
FS 15/17/19/22 on PS4 and XBox One
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Giants dont need to compete with anyone especially with Rockstar, Giants has a system, get a game out every 2 years, Rockstar has 5 years, so why is it a this guy VS that guy? I mean seriously, why compare Giants to Rockstar, that's pointless.
BlackFox403

Post by BlackFox403 »

It is always easy to be critical of a game when you use other games as reference and say "this game has this, we can do that. Why can't we in FS?". Well the answer is easy to those of us that develop software and know first hand that adding *features* the masses are stomping for are not as easy as they seem to think it is. You add a feature and it works, but then it can break something else and it can be a long, tedious task to track down the issue and either fix it, find a work-around, or remove it all together. It is never easy for game developers to make something that everyone will be pleased with.

Giants has done tremendous work over the years FS has been in the market. My family and I started out in FS09 and have all PC versions, and even now have the mobile versions. There has been great strides in progress between each version of FS since 09, and the game can be played quite extensive with use of mods or vanilla. They are great games (FS), and this game is the *only* game where our entire family play together- myself, my wife, our kids (four of them). No other company can boast that, although ETS2 is a close second now that my wife and our youngest son plays as well.
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

Rockstar didn't have all their developers working 8 hours a day for 5 years and spending their billions of dollars on gta5. Saying that they are bigger than us and have more money is just making excuses. Saying fs has way more to load that gta is bull. It comes down to the tools you are using. Use better tools and you can do better things. That hired hand harvesting on the other side of the map is just a bunch of numbers stored in variables that can be manipulated by the cpu, graphics are not required, and if you don't believe me, then look at a game save. There is no need to load every single object on a map unless you are using old tools that do not allow for proper optimization and dynamic loading. Saying fs has more objects per map than something like gta or skyrym is crazy. And since people say "well it took rockstar 5 years", I'd like to say that I'd be happy to play fs17 for 5 years while giants did some noticeable improvements. A 30 people company isn't really that small when you are only focusing on 1 game. Take the 900 from rockstar and divide by the number of games they work on.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

thumbwiz wrote:Rockstar didn't have all their developers working 8 hours a day for 5 years and spending their billions of dollars on gta5. Saying that they are bigger than us and have more money is just making excuses. Saying fs has way more to load that gta is bull. It comes down to the tools you are using. Use better tools and you can do better things. That hired hand harvesting on the other side of the map is just a bunch of numbers stored in variables that can be manipulated by the cpu, graphics are not required, and if you don't believe me, then look at a game save. There is no need to load every single object on a map unless you are using old tools that do not allow for proper optimization and dynamic loading. Saying fs has more objects per map than something like gta or skyrym is crazy. And since people say "well it took rockstar 5 years", I'd like to say that I'd be happy to play fs17 for 5 years while giants did some noticeable improvements. A 30 people company isn't really that small when you are only focusing on 1 game. Take the 900 from rockstar and divide by the number of games they work on.
Everything a CPU/GPU does is "just a bunch of numbers", even graphics. What development experience do you have? Tools don't create software, people do. This requires time and money.

The fact is that a company like Giants have limited resources compared to a company like Rockstar. In part, this is due to nature of there games. GTA appeals to larger group of people. In addition, FS rolls out on a shorter schedule than GTA. The shorter schedule allows them add new ideas to the game on a regular basis, but does limit how much they can accomplish per release.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

Hey Earnest, I'm not knocking Giants. I'm just saying people should stop making excuses for them. I suspect they are a small company because they choose to be, and I don't blame them. Rather than them saying the other guy has more people and money, why don't they just say they're happy as they are. I'm sure most of us wouldn't have a problem.
And just so you know, I have extensive development experience. I originally taught myself Quick Basic from a book. If you know what Quick Basic is, then I'm impressed. My first official app was called Thumbwiz, which took a folder of images and created thumbnails for each along with html code to display those images. I have several card games on the apple app store, do a search for High Card Flush. I am in the processes of converting some of my games to java for android. All that is just in my spare time, since I work as a developer/consultant, and have for nearly 2 decades.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

Nerd smack down going on right now :lol: :lol: Don't worry, just kidding. My friends are just like that. They say the games I play are basic compared to theirs. But then I ask, can you mod for them? Do you have an extremely helpful community? Is your game as realistic and relaxing as FS? I like the FS series better than other games because of those reasons.
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

I figured you were a decent guy. I do believe that the excuses are justified, though. I believe they work they're butts off to produce a great game. I do get tired of all the people blasting them for every lame complaint they can imagine. I believe they want FS to be successful and that they work hard on it. Although I appreciate the modders, I think most of their mods don't match the quality of what Giants produces. That's fine. Giants gets paid to do this. I would expect their stuff to be better. I get tired of people who go on about mods surpassing the quality of what GIants produces or that Giants steals their mods and includes them in the next version of the game. I'm fairly certain that isn't case.

As for myself, I spent nearly 20 years as a programmer / systems analyst. I've worked in 14 or more different languages including 3 different assembly languages, C, C++, Java, Lisp, Forth, Pascal, Fortran... you get the idea. I've worked on everything from device drivers to server side software and graphical client applications. When I discuss development, I know what I'm talking about, and shockingly, I do know of Quick Basic.

Now, how does this relate to FS. When I say there's more going on in an FS world, I really mean it. You can tell by observing the games functionality carefully (thank you Systems Analysis experience). There's obviously more going on than just "a bunch of numbers stored in variables". When an AI on the other side of the map gets hung up in traffic (on top of a car, no less), or misses harvesting a small portion of a field, its a good indicator that much, if not all of the map is still functioning, whether you're there or not. I grant, as I did previously, that the graphics don't come into play, but they don't for GTA either. Neither game displays graphics for areas which you can't see. That makes graphics a non-issue in this case. That means that everything else is all that's left. In the case of GTA, that's negligible. FS on the other hand has a lot going on behind the scenes. Those things require CPU time, memory space, and bandwidth between the two. That means less of those things for other elements of the game.

Hopefully I haven't come across as a jerk. I don't intend too. One of the things I like about FS is that everyone who likes and plays it, likes and plays it for their own reasons and that most of us are fine with that. I've been noticing a lot of griping lately, though. Maybe It's just a side effect of FS's success.

BTW, nice to see another person from Ontario on here. There's a few of us, I think.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

Lisertan wrote:So what you try to say is: A company with 900 people and several billions in cash (Rockstar) is able to create a game with more features in 5 years (GTA 4 was 2008 GTA 5 2013) than a small company with 30 people and way less cash in 2 years?

Who would have guessed?

On a more serious note: We are not Rockstar, Blizzard, Ubisoft or EA, we are a small company, but we will always to our best to make the game as good as possible.
First, let me point out that i'm not trying to attack the game, or the developers, (especially when FS is one of my favorite simulator games)....... but....

I'd like to point out that...... it doesn't take 900 employees, or billions in cash to make good/logical decisions. For example:

.... Coding into the game multiple fertilizer options that do exactly the same thing. NOT very logical.

.... Having your tractor (maxed at 32mph) pass cars on a double lane public road. NOT very logical.

.... Providing tools that allow for create/delete fields, but designing maps with no even surfaces to clear and make new fields.... NOT very logical.

.... Providing place-able buildings that are prefect if we were wanting to build or expand a lumber yard... but absolutely nothing for anywhere else in the community. Not a single house, store/shop, hospital, school, or anything to do with building up a community, (houses to place beside some of those fields would have been great to setup up sub-farms) and....... where are we to place the ones we did get? NOT very logical.

.... Being able to buy fields is great. I love being able to expand. But .... what happened to the "sell" feature? Why can't we sell a no longer wanted field? NOT very logical.

(and one of my favorites) The map is so small that we can game-walk around the perimeter of the game world in maybe about 3 minutes.... drive it with the slowest tractor in about 40 or so seconds, but yet Giants decided to toss in 2 trains for transporting stuff. NOT very logical.

Basically, my argument is... if you're being accused of "not being good game developers", it may have very little-to-nothing to do with how many employees Giants has, or the annual budget, and more to do with some of the decisions made that may not be the best ideas.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

GIANTS are great game developers. The thing is, all of what you want, takes time. Less developer's=longer time to implement. Some of the placeables you want dont have anything to do with farming, so why would they add it? And the map sizes are not that small, it'd take longer than 3 minutes to walk the perimeter of them. And there's a reason for that- they want people that have lower end PC's or older consoles to be able to play the game too. That's a lot harder to do when there is more resources to load. There are mods on PC to sell fields, but often times you really don't sell fields, just because your goal is to expand and have a bigger and bigger farm
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
Largan

Post by Largan »

Rockstar can't even get the online play to work. I've spent more time trying to connect to same server as friend and getting kicked out than actually playing online lately..
Xbox ONE: Felsbrunn.