Console modding questions

BlackFox403

Re: Console modding questions

Post by BlackFox403 »

Smith Modding wrote:
Princeguardian wrote:Still want to know answer about modhub
Because it's the internet. Even FS-UK, which also tests mods, releases stuff that isn't under license. The internet is free game. Companies can't control it. There's nothing they could do about it
Don't bet on it. The internet is **not** free game as many like to put it. Legal is legal, illegal is illegal. And don't think for one moment a company would not hesitate to shut someone down because it's the "internet and internet is free game" with content posted without permission. That is a popular misconception that has been plaguing the Net since it became public in the 90's.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

BlackFox403 wrote:
Smith Modding wrote:
Princeguardian wrote:Still want to know answer about modhub
Because it's the internet. Even FS-UK, which also tests mods, releases stuff that isn't under license. The internet is free game. Companies can't control it. There's nothing they could do about it
Don't bet on it. The internet is **not** free game as many like to put it. Legal is legal, illegal is illegal. And don't think for one moment a company would not hesitate to shut someone down because it's the "internet and internet is free game" with content posted without permission. That is a popular misconception that has been plaguing the Net since it became public in the 90's.
That's not necessarily what I meant. Companies know when they make a product, especially a vehicle, that 3D models of it will be made, mods will be made. They just don't feel they should waste the money and resources to inforce all the smaller amateur companies such as modders. Yes it's technically illegal, but they're not loosing any money, so they don't want to waste resources on it.
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
Princeguardian

Post by Princeguardian »

So illegal to make it but not to host it?
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

Princeguardian wrote:So illegal to make it but not to host it?
I guess you could say that. But again, mods are free, you aren't selling them, so companies aren't losing money, so unless you give them a reason to they won't shut down or force you t remove the mod
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
Princeguardian

Post by Princeguardian »

Thanks for the explanation
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Ya just like your allowed to burn discs on to empty discs, but if you sell it it's illegal
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Post by Lisertan »

TomXP411 wrote:There are two separate issues, scripting and brand licensing.

The first issue is scripting. Simply put, mods with scripts that change the behavior of the game are not allowed on the Playstation due to Sony's policies. I believe they are allowed on the XBox by MS, but Giants is keeping the two platforms consistent. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I thought that was the issue when Fallout came out with mods on the XBox One and PS4.) A lot can be done without scripting: you can have complex animated behaviors that use default tractor parts, but once you get into things that add user input, adds new elements to the game (Compass), or adds new behavior (Follow Me), that's going to require scripting.

The other issue is licensing. To be perfectly clear: Anything you release that has someone's trademark or Copyrighted designs requires the owner's permission. It doesn't matter whether thing is free or not. If you don't have written permission from John Deere to publish a model of a John Deere tractor on the web, it's not legal. This battle was fought and lost when the airlines shut down flight sim modders back when Microsoft Flight Simulator was in its prime. Companies like United and American Airlines successfully argued that their name and livery were Copyrighted and Trademarked, and so modders don't have the right to use that stuff without their permission.

However, the thing about Copyright is that there's no automatic enforcement of Copyright violation. Instead, someone has to actively seek a claim against your illegal use of their work, and it's likely that some companies just don't care enough to police mod sites and shut down amateur modders. However, they still have that right, and mods based on real world products can be DMCA'd at any time.

That is a really good answer, thank you for that. I'd like to add a few things.

As for scripting:
XBOX allowes scripts to a certain extend, not all of them but they are not as strict as Sony. It's still not perfect for what we need, but it's the right direction. We hope things will get better in the future.

As for the license:
It's a bit complicated, but I'll go with a very easy way to phrase it: We, as a company, can't use brands without a license, players however can more or less do that (as I said, it's a bit more complicated than that, so take it with a grain of salt, please). Every mod on console has to be uploaded by us, so we as a company 'take the responsibility' for the mod and we really can't do that with JD/Claas ect.
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
Scotia1314

Post by Scotia1314 »

Lisertan,you said that you "can't with JD and Claas" is the license to expensive, I'm new to this but am following your discussion avidly.
P.s thanks for everything your guys are bringing to the table,lot of work for little thanks no doubt
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Scotia1314 wrote:Lisertan,you said that you "can't with JD and Claas" is the license to expensive,
Speaking in a general sense, there's nothing saying JD has to license out their brand IP at all, at any price.

Obviously, whatever discussions JD and Giants may have had is between them - and probably not something they're going to tell us. (Business negotiations aren't something you talk about to the general public.)
PC | XBox One | American Outback, Westbridge
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Well now you have class copyright correct?
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer