What is the issue with licensing for mods?

redglasses

Re: What is the issue with licensing for mods?

Post by redglasses »

canadafarms wrote:
TacoFarmer wrote: And it all makes sense except how they can host the mod and its ok.Because in the end GIANTS servers are the ones distributing the mods to the players who download them.Therefore GIANTS is directly involved in the distribution of unlicensed mods.
I know it's confusing but the way I look at it now is that Giants PC Mod Hub and Giants console Mod Hub are two different things. The PC version is really no different than FS-UK or AEM, basically a file sharing site. Console Mod Hub on the other hand is a portal into the Sony and Microsoft systems, so really much more than a file sharing site. This is the way I have chosen to interpret it anyway, believe me at the release I was just as disappointed as anyone with the limitations but now I just enjoy what we have, it's way more than I ever dreamed of having when I played 13 and 15.

Edit: one more thing I wanted to say is that we shouldn't be too down on the Mod Hub for PC because at least we have a chance at getting some of the stuff on there that PC's have. If they are uploaded to sites like AEM or FS-UK there is zero chance we will ever get them.
this is exactly it *thumbsup*
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
lefe1

Post by lefe1 »

To me who cares what tractors are in the game they all do the same thing. Does a case plow better than a JD, Does a JD pull a tipper better than a New H. Does a New H. Sow better than a Fendt. No they all do the same thing doesn't matter if the tractor is pink, yellow with purple polka dots. yeah some tractors look better than others but in the end they all do the same thing.
Slivicon

Post by Slivicon »

I think what TacoFarmer was getting at was that on PC, you can download from within the game on PC unlicensed John Deere mods that were uploaded to the mod hub and hosted by Giants, such as https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... d_id=88606 . However, you cannot go into the console version of the game and download it from mod hub.

So, a PC user can go in the game, open mod hub, and download a John Deere mod. However, it sounds like console users cannot.

I guess there is a difference in how a user made mod is delivered to PC than how a user made mod is delivered to consoles, which I guess creates the reason why they can't do it.

Still, what I have seen other games do, like Car Mechanic Simulator, is they have models that look exactly like a real life car, but since they don't have a license, they call (for example) a corvette "Reptilia" (and make sure no brand logos/names appear). So, maybe they could have mods that look and act the same as John Deere and just call them "Lizard" :P However, maybe it's a legal issue they don't want to take risks with.

The funny thing is to me, that in my reading about this particular issue, I read that "John Deere has their own game" which is supposedly some old game nobody plays, so I don't really understand why a company like John Deere would be against letting their stuff be in games. My guess is Giants probably asked, and some business person wanted to charge them some insane amount of money that made no sense :P
Slivicon

Post by Slivicon »

lefe1 wrote:To me who cares what tractors are in the game they all do the same thing. Does a case plow better than a JD, Does a JD pull a tipper better than a New H. Does a New H. Sow better than a Fendt. No they all do the same thing doesn't matter if the tractor is pink, yellow with purple polka dots. yeah some tractors look better than others but in the end they all do the same thing.
I'm kind of that way myself, but I think there must be a lot of people that are really interested in very specific brands and types, perhaps due to immersion or esthetics or something. I say this because there are an absolute huge number of PC mods for the FS series that are equipment which do nothing differently as far as game mechanics go, they're just different brands and look different. I've also played with people who are super adamant about using a specific brand and colour of tractor :P I say "whatever, does it have enough horsepower etc lol I'll use it"
Ragman

Post by Ragman »

Slivicon wrote:
Still, what I have seen other games do, like Car Mechanic Simulator, is they have models that look exactly like a real life car, but since they don't have a license, they call (for example) a corvette "Reptilia" (and make sure no brand logos/names appear). So, maybe they could have mods that look and act the same as John Deere and just call them "Lizard" :P However, maybe it's a legal issue they don't want to take risks with.
Nope cant do that JD has licenced their appearance too. You cant make lizard what look like jd, it violates their licences.