What is the issue with licensing for mods?

Tazman1983

What is the issue with licensing for mods?

Post by Tazman1983 »

I see countless people on here saying that console users can't have certain mods due to licensing such as JD, claas etc. Surely licensing is a legal thing that goes across the board so how are PC able to have these mods and not console? A license is a license full stop so if something is not licensed for a product nobody can have it full stop, am i missing something here?
FordFarmer97

Re: What is the issue with licensing for mods?

Post by FordFarmer97 »

^^ You mean on ModHub? Giants just hosts them on the website, they don't own them.
Tryin to make a 9700 Ford mod, one of these days
#LimeGreenPower
Playin on PC in Tennessee!
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whovever shall believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"
Old Iron Best Iron.
PM me for a Discord link.
Tazman1983

Post by Tazman1983 »

I just dont understand how pc players can have things in the game that aren't licenced? Surely that's a legal minefield?
FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

No, it isn't. Because they're user-made. Not made by a company, and not by Giants. That's why.
#LimeGreenPower
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whovever shall believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"
Old Iron Best Iron.
Tazman1983

Post by Tazman1983 »

So what difference does it make if a "user" makes them for console?
Tazman1983

Post by Tazman1983 »

FordFarmer97 wrote:No, it isn't. Because they're user-made. Not made by a company, and not by Giants. That's why.
Most of the mods on console are user made so that idea doesn't really make sense
FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

If I were you, I'd ask Lisertan about this
#LimeGreenPower
Old Iron Best Iron.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

Here's why. We, the modders, upload them for PC, and giants just hosts them. However, even though we submit a mod for console, Giants is the one who actually uploads them. Here's why we can do this:
We (modders) are simply fans of the game who want to modify it, as it's the Internet and we're just using Giants to host our mod's.
Giants (a company) upload the mod's to console, and since they make money off the game, they can't legally use non licensed brands because they're the ones uploading it and they would make money from it.
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

^^ Listen to this guy
#LimeGreenPower
Old Iron Best Iron.
Tazman1983

Post by Tazman1983 »

How would they make money from it? It's not DLC it's a free mod
canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

We are a company. We make money with the game, therefore every brand we use needs to allow us to use it. (Pretty much the same as if you would be in Hollywood and want to show a Star Wars Poster in your movie, Disney has to allow it, or they can sue you). We do not have the license for John Deere, so we can't use John Deere.

However, as a player, you can totally use John Deere, you are not a company and that's not your business, so you are a fan and as fan you are fine.

So in short: A company needs to have a contract to use a Brand (as it is part of their business) a player does not need that, as it's not a business.

So if a player uploads a John Deere, or uses it in the game ect. then that's not a big issue. If we, as a company, want to do that, we need said contract or "license".

For PC, players upload mods (no license needed)
For console we upload them (license needed)

As I said, that's a very simplified explaination, but it should show what the problem is.

This was Lisertans explanation made only one week ago, but there have been many other explanations of how this works since FS 17 has been released.
PC>PC =no money being made from the brand=ok

PC>Giants/Focus>Microsoft/Sony>consoles=money being made from the brand=not ok
PS4
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

Tazman1983 wrote:I see countless people on here saying that console users can't have certain mods due to licensing such as JD, claas etc. Surely licensing is a legal thing that goes across the board so how are PC able to have these mods and not console? A license is a license full stop so if something is not licensed for a product nobody can have it full stop, am i missing something here?
Trust me,youre not going to get a definite answer from anybody from GIANTS or Focus.They kinda answer without answering.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

canadafarms wrote:We are a company. We make money with the game, therefore every brand we use needs to allow us to use it. (Pretty much the same as if you would be in Hollywood and want to show a Star Wars Poster in your movie, Disney has to allow it, or they can sue you). We do not have the license for John Deere, so we can't use John Deere.

However, as a player, you can totally use John Deere, you are not a company and that's not your business, so you are a fan and as fan you are fine.

So in short: A company needs to have a contract to use a Brand (as it is part of their business) a player does not need that, as it's not a business.

So if a player uploads a John Deere, or uses it in the game ect. then that's not a big issue. If we, as a company, want to do that, we need said contract or "license".

For PC, players upload mods (no license needed)
For console we upload them (license needed)

As I said, that's a very simplified explaination, but it should show what the problem is.

This was Lisertans explanation made only one week ago, but there have been many other explanations of how this works since FS 17 has been released.
PC>PC =no money being made from the brand=ok

PC>Giants/Focus>Microsoft/Sony>consoles=money being made from the brand=not ok
And it all makes sense except how they can host the mod and its ok.Because in the end GIANTS servers are the ones distributing the mods to the players who download them.Therefore GIANTS is directly involved in the distribution of unlicensed mods.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.

canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

TacoFarmer wrote: And it all makes sense except how they can host the mod and its ok.Because in the end GIANTS servers are the ones distributing the mods to the players who download them.Therefore GIANTS is directly involved in the distribution of unlicensed mods.
I know it's confusing but the way I look at it now is that Giants PC Mod Hub and Giants console Mod Hub are two different things. The PC version is really no different than FS-UK or AEM, basically a file sharing site. Console Mod Hub on the other hand is a portal into the Sony and Microsoft systems, so really much more than a file sharing site. This is the way I have chosen to interpret it anyway, believe me at the release I was just as disappointed as anyone with the limitations but now I just enjoy what we have, it's way more than I ever dreamed of having when I played 13 and 15.

Edit: one more thing I wanted to say is that we shouldn't be too down on the Mod Hub for PC because at least we have a chance at getting some of the stuff on there that PC's have. If they are uploaded to sites like AEM or FS-UK there is zero chance we will ever get them.
PS4
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

canadafarms wrote:
TacoFarmer wrote: And it all makes sense except how they can host the mod and its ok.Because in the end GIANTS servers are the ones distributing the mods to the players who download them.Therefore GIANTS is directly involved in the distribution of unlicensed mods.
I know it's confusing but the way I look at it now is that Giants PC Mod Hub and Giants console Mod Hub are two different things. The PC version is really no different than FS-UK or AEM, basically a file sharing site. Console Mod Hub on the other hand is a portal into the Sony and Microsoft systems, so really much more than a file sharing site. This is the way I have chosen to interpret it anyway, believe me at the release I was just as disappointed as anyone with the limitations but now I just enjoy what we have, it's way more than I ever dreamed of having when I played 13 and 15.

Edit: one more thing I wanted to say is that we shouldn't be too down on the Mod Hub for PC because at least we have a chance at getting some of the stuff on there that PC's have. If they are uploaded to sites like AEM or FS-UK there is zero chance we will ever get them.
I like my Masseys and Deutz.I do appreciate what we do have.And we keep getting better mods as the game goes on.Some questions may never be answered,but people will keep asking.Its human nature.Farm on.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.