Estancia Lapacho

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
fenixguy

Re: Estancia Lapacho

Post by fenixguy »

Okay! Sounds great then. *thumbsup*
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
deddycantshoot

Post by deddycantshoot »

I like the map,I thought it was great change of scenery,and I would still be playing if not for tvotof.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

I got into the map a little bit myself, but never actually played more than 45 minutes on it. Matter of fact, I've yet to harvest or plant a single field of sugar cane..just not my cup of tea..I mostly purchased that DLC to support GIANTS as it turns out, as I haven't gotten much use out of the DLC. That's still fine by me though. The least I can do.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

muzickmage wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:09 pm That's not even a fair arguement. If anything, a passive defense and excuse that Giants can use to their advantage. If you don't like it don't buy it attitude.

Whether I like the map or not, whether other people like the map or not... is irrelevant. Whether the maps sells well and is loved by all, doesn't matter when considering the comparitive quality Giants is asking us to pay for vs what we get for FREE.

Its not about our acceptance of what Giants offers. Its about what Giants consider to be ... "a fair offer".

One problem with your idea of... if you don't like it don't buy it .. is that Giants put that map into a package deal. So I can hate the map and consider it not worth the money, while at the same time pay for it because I want the other things in the package.... which leaves me feeling a bit (not completely), but at the least, a bit, of a fool for buying a map (in a package deal) when that map is IMO not a very good example of a fair product.
Your argument is not fair, actually its not even valid. Your complaints about the DLC are you don't like the map, which is fair enough as an opinion, but its not a quality issue its subjective. The map is not broken, it does not crash when you play it and the modelling of the new environment is on a par or even better than the stock GIANTS maps. Some people, like myself, will love the change of scenery and ability to change the map as they like. Others will prefer maps with 100 odd shaped fields to work and the inability to customise the landscape and use the many available placeables but equally that doesn't represent quality to a lot of players, you just don't see complaints because its free content. GIANTS are damned with the maps they create whatever they do, but don't confuse quality with your own personal preferences.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

The equipment in the platinum expansion is modeled better than anything I've seen for the game. Down to the little chains running the seed drill. Absolutely beautiful. And I would've paid $15 just for the two coulter chisels. I've used the heck out of them. Even more so the high-tip trailers. Now we have a (even if slightly unrealistic) bunker shuttle for a forage harvester. Now my worker can chop silage while I tend to the pile and I never have to unhook any trailers. I just put in 1,000,000l of silage on TVTOF using the Big X and the Massey-Ferguson high tip trailer. Definitely worth the price of a movie ticket + popcorn.
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

FarmerJimbob wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:29 pm
muzickmage wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:09 pm That's not even a fair arguement. If anything, a passive defense and excuse that Giants can use to their advantage. If you don't like it don't buy it attitude.

Whether I like the map or not, whether other people like the map or not... is irrelevant. Whether the maps sells well and is loved by all, doesn't matter when considering the comparitive quality Giants is asking us to pay for vs what we get for FREE.

Its not about our acceptance of what Giants offers. Its about what Giants consider to be ... "a fair offer".

One problem with your idea of... if you don't like it don't buy it .. is that Giants put that map into a package deal. So I can hate the map and consider it not worth the money, while at the same time pay for it because I want the other things in the package.... which leaves me feeling a bit (not completely), but at the least, a bit, of a fool for buying a map (in a package deal) when that map is IMO not a very good example of a fair product.
Your argument is not fair, actually its not even valid. Your complaints about the DLC are you don't like the map, which is fair enough as an opinion, but its not a quality issue its subjective. The map is not broken, it does not crash when you play it and the modelling of the new environment is on a par or even better than the stock GIANTS maps. Some people, like myself, will love the change of scenery and ability to change the map as they like. Others will prefer maps with 100 odd shaped fields to work and the inability to customise the landscape and use the many available placeables but equally that doesn't represent quality to a lot of players, you just don't see complaints because its free content. GIANTS are damned with the maps they create whatever they do, but don't confuse quality with your own personal preferences.
A change of scenery? I hope that's not your best defense of the map. And just to add, the keyboard i'm typing on isn't broken either, but it's still of poor quality compared to other keyboards I have seen. I wouldn't expect to pay the same price tag for my trashy keyboard as I would expect to pay for some of the ones i've seen which makes my keyboard look like its from the commodore days.

That's what my posts are about... maps vs maps, modders vs Giants, Free vs Price tags. I didn't say anything in my posts about Estancia being broken. And just because it works properly and does the very little it is designed to do... doesn't automatically make it .... valuable.

I'm looking at it from an Economic point of view and simply asking myself.... "What is the opportunity cost of the Estancia Lepacho map? What is the best alternative forgone? When you use "time" as a comparitive variable you get the following equation.... "every minute spent playing Estancia is a minute not spent playing any other map". The opportunity cost of playing Estancia is another map I could be playing instead.

That brings me to the final question. Why should I give up the opportunity to play other maps, even for just 1 minute, to spend that 1 minute on Estancia? What does Estancia have to take me away from the best alternative? Is it the broken airplane in the shed? Is it because the map looks redish instead of greenish? For me, a redish map with a broken airplane in the shed isn't enough to encourage me to stop playing many of those modded maps out there that offer nearly a Gig of playing options. The map i'm playing now is more than 1 gig in size. I think the name of it is "BorcherSee". Just for animals it has ... cows, sheep, pigs, chickens, geese, and horses... all of which need to be cared for. The chickens (to care for) require 6 different things from food to crates. The geese require food and straw, and so on.

The playing options offered in the BorcherSee map is simply outstanding. And is a fair comparison to what options found in many other modded maps as well. Then Estancia comes along, and I shut down BorcherSee and jump into Estancia. What the hell is this i'm wondering? Where's the stuff? The playing options? Where is .... anything????? All I see is a redish map with a broken plane. And of course I go back to BorcherSee where I actually have a map worth looking at.

If people are just looking for a change in scenery, there's likely a modded map somewhere to help with that. I recommend people go with the modded map. They'll lose the broken plane and red clay by not playing Estancia..... but that's pretty much all they'll lose.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

We get it, you don't like the map. *thumbsup*
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Every minute spent moaning on here about a map that you don't personally like is a minute you could be spending more productively to be fair. What you like about your favourite map wouldn't appeal to others (especially those who are new to the game which Giants has to consider with its maps) so your personal preference for a map is not a valid basis for criticising the quality of Estancia.
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

fenixguy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:10 pm We get it, you don't like the map. *thumbsup*
I do like though the addition of the sugarcane and the new equipment. The was nice to purchase. So i'll consider that my money's worth. I haven't used the sugurcane equipment yet as the map i'm using doesn't have it on the fruit's list. (maybe I need an updated version of the map). Not a problem right now i'll just plant some sugarcane on some other map some other time.

But yea, the sugarcane and equipment.... that part was great.
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

FarmerJimbob wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:22 pm Every minute spent moaning on here about a map that you don't personally like is a minute you could be spending more productively to be fair. What you like about your favourite map wouldn't appeal to others (especially those who are new to the game which Giants has to consider with its maps) so your personal preference for a map is not a valid basis for criticising the quality of Estancia.
Are you suggesting that everyone has to adopt the exact same modded map as me? That my personal preferences should be used as a basis for everyone else's gameplay? Because I trust there is a modded map out there for darn near every type of FS player from big/small maps, logging only, few fields/many fields. non scripted/heavy scripted, etc, etc.

People don't have to adopt my personal preferences. There is likely a modded map to fit someone else's play style. And if the modded maps are failing to meet people's interests.... I don't know what you expect Estancia to do... lol

You can drag a bunch of animals out to a cabin in the desert and get the equivalent of Estancia.
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

No, quite the opposite, I'm suggesting that you seem to be forcing your map preferences onto everyone else. You don't like Estancia so nobody else must due to its poor 'quality'. Are you reading the posts the right way round?
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

FarmerJimbob wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:33 pm No, quite the opposite, I'm suggesting that you seem to be forcing your map preferences onto everyone else. You don't like Estancia so nobody else must due to its poor 'quality'. Are you reading the posts the right way round?
Ok, fair enough. Lets address "your" arguement. I have explained why I think the Estancia map is a complete joke. I am willing to listen to your argument explaining to me why the Estancia map is "worth money" vs the FREE modded maps.

If you are willing to explain.... i'm willing to listen.
markare

Post by markare »

We get it. You don't like the map. Fair enough. Why fight over it?? It's a matter of opinion. This thread is derailing rapidly.
:hi:
Scottish farming with all the n00bery
Xb1
Sometimes stream, depends how I feel
http://aatg.freeforums.net/ work in progress
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

markare wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:42 pm We get it. You don't like the map. Fair enough. Why fight over it?? It's a matter of opinion. This thread is derailing rapidly.
Where do you see "derailing" and "fighting"?

I see people sharing opinions on topic.
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

My argument is that maps are a personal preference and that is subjective - you can't necessarily argue it based on definitive attributes. Things that I like about Giants maps others will cite as their major objections and things I don't like about modded maps other people will be prepared to overlook. Point is that doesn't mean a map is poor in quality terms and not worth someone's time to play.

It could be argued that Estancia was actually a free map just bundled in with the Sugar Cane DLC - we didn't get a map with either the Kuhn or Big Bud DLCs but people still bought those. If there had been no map though no doubt everyone would have moaned that its unrealistic to farm sugar cane in the existing environments of the game.

I would also just point out that you are arguing from a PC perspective, the landscape of mods for consoles is very different. Estancia was required to work across all platforms.