Liters? Why not kilograms.

markare

Re: Liters? Why not kilograms.

Post by markare »

Also litres are liquid liter weight for the crops the op is discussing is used for non liquid material. The liter isn't a weight as such but more space taken up in a holding tank.
:hi:
Scottish farming with all the n00bery
Xb1
Sometimes stream, depends how I feel
http://aatg.freeforums.net/ work in progress
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

reider wrote:At least we know our left from our right ;-)
I'm not sure what you're getting at here.
Surely left is the side of the tractor you get in and out of, right is the side with the controls?
I was taught if I ever forget, hold up your hands with thumbs pointing at each other, the one that makes an L is left! (This only works if you can remember which way round an L is, and you still have at least 2 thumbs)
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
stevoxsi

Post by stevoxsi »

Hairy Bob wrote:That is a UK pint! A US pint is (apparently) 473ml, so in fairness to you, is only just over a pound. I tend to forget that our neighbours across the pond have a bastardized system of units which they call English for some reason...
Oh yeah I worked that out wrong! Stupid brain!! You win! I was just going by what my gran used to say, a pint is a pound the world round! 1l is 1kg is school smarts though.... :biggrin2:
Fs11-15 on pc. Fs17 & 19 on xb1.
ErwinR55

Post by ErwinR55 »

Hairy Bob wrote:
reider wrote:At least we know our left from our right ;-)
I'm not sure what you're getting at here.
Surely left is the side of the tractor you get in and out of, right is the side with the controls?
I was taught if I ever forget, hold up your hands with thumbs pointing at each other, the one that makes an L is left! (This only works if you can remember which way round an L is, and you still have at least 2 thumbs)
I am guess he is aiming at the:
"We are driving on the right side of the road."

Said by usa or eu people it reads: we are driving on the right side (instead of left) of the road.
While said by an english or australian/nz it reads: we are driving on the right side (read: correct side, which is the left side) of the road :)

Blame the people who made the word "right" double meaning :)
PS4 player
canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

Bushmaster77 wrote:Actually for the US the measure should be in bushels.
Sure, if the game was only in the US that would be fine but even a bushel is different depending on what system you use. A US bushel is 35.239 litres while a metric bushel is 36.368 litres just like a US gallon is 3.785 litres while a metric gallon is 4.546 litres. A litre is a litre no matter where you are in the world.
PS4
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Post by Stegei »

Liter is a measurement of volume, while kilogram is a measurement of mass. So liters is fully independent of the type of material, which is good define the capacity of a trailer.
If we would specify the kilograms a trailer can hold, we would need to specify it for each type indiviually. I.e. this trailer can hold 10000kg of water and 7900kg of average dry wheat.
I would assume, cubic meter (m3) would be the more common volume unit than liters, however this has the problem of the scale. With fill levels of around 10000, you can very precisely see its scale. However if we would use 10m3, it's a lot harder to see the small changes, unless we use decimal places as well.
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

canadafarms wrote:
Bushmaster77 wrote:Actually for the US the measure should be in bushels.
Sure, if the game was only in the US that would be fine but even a bushel is different depending on what system you use. A US bushel is 35.239 litres while a metric bushel is 36.368 litres just like a US gallon is 3.785 litres while a metric gallon is 4.546 litres. A litre is a litre no matter where you are in the world.
Nitpick: (again!) I think you mean an imperial gallon is 4.546l, there are no gallons in the metric system. I've never had anything to do with bushels but I'm pretty sure the same goes for them!
The metric system was designed to make it easy to scale units, 1000ml to a litre, 1000l to a cubic metre etc.
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
snakem

Post by snakem »

Looked that up: 1 bushel = 4 peck = 32 dry quart = 64 dry pint. Oh, come on, give me a break... really?? LOL
PC
canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

Hairy Bob wrote: Nitpick: (again!) I think you mean an imperial gallon is 4.546l, there are no gallons in the metric system. I've never had anything to do with bushels but I'm pretty sure the same goes for them!
The metric system was designed to make it easy to scale units, 1000ml to a litre, 1000l to a cubic metre etc.
:lol: Yes thats correct and I do know that haha. Living in Canada and having the US as our main trading partner you get used to it being one system or the other. Around our place we just say metric or standard to keep it simple. Is there anywhere in the world that uses the metric system that doesn't use imperial measurements??
PS4
BullFarmer

Post by BullFarmer »

I know what you mean, even down here in new Zealand which is a metric country, people often give their height in feet, weigh babies in pounds etc.
I use yards a lot as well since I do a lot of shooting and my American made rifle scopes are obviously imperial.

It is not too hard to convert between metric and imperial if you use both a lot like I do, Americans certainly struggle with it because they only normally talk imperial.
Playing on PS4 and PC.
I7 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX960 2Gb graphics.

Farmer/tractor driver in real life.
canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

BullFarmer wrote:I know what you mean, even down here in new Zealand which is a metric country, people often give their height in feet, weigh babies in pounds etc.
I use yards a lot as well since I do a lot of shooting and my American made rifle scopes are obviously imperial.

It is not too hard to convert between metric and imperial if you use both a lot like I do, Americans certainly struggle with it because they only normally talk imperial.
:lol: ^^Yes, its the same way here too and it gets confusing. That's why I simplify it as much as I can....KISS (keep it simple stupid) :lol:
Last edited by canadafarms on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PS4
Redneck Farmer

Post by Redneck Farmer »

Hairy Bob wrote:That is a UK pint! A US pint is (apparently) 473ml, so in fairness to you, is only just over a pound. I tend to forget that our neighbours across the pond have a bastardized system of units which they call English for some reason...
hey bastardized system this !@#$ just because you don't like the system we Americans use doesn't make it a bastardized system.
XBOX ONE and PC
cr41g_1965

Post by cr41g_1965 »

posted it before...posting it again....

Farming Simulator 76

playing RDR2
canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

:confusednew: Ok, so the US system is labeled as Imperial, now I am confused again :lol: we use the metric system alongside the imperial measurements for gallons and bushels etc but their system is called the imperial system and they use US standard for gallons and bushels..... :zunge: lets make it more confusing, lets start measuring things in cubits and heqats again like the ancient Egyptians :biggrin2:
PS4
aklein

Post by aklein »

I wish when you pick to have $ you also get gallons vs liters of fuel.