Hedge Collision

OlD MrD

Hedge Collision

Post by OlD MrD »

Just a quick topic on the communities thoughts on hedge collision, removable hedges & hedge options.
I was wondering on how other players felt about these.

I first off give my preference, I always try and and play as if the hedges are real and can not be bypassed but this goes along with my play style and includes me never having (yet) reset any equipment, and always using in game tools to recover stuck items. I even prefer the maps that confuse the stuff out of the AI so we have to do some work to help them (eg headlands).

To me currently it seems Giants are happier with hedges without collisions (helps AI) and more casual players & we have no options as players to change this in Maps. Would it not maybe be an Idea to make these collisions either an option or part of the difficulty setting? Then we also have the issue of removing hedges if expanding or combining fields again I guess a more sim/hardcore player request.
Are the main limitations of this currently the game engine or a game play choice?

We currently have a few different modders playing with these ideas
Including but not limited to
Hedges that only detect bales and stop them.
Temporary destructible hedges.

So as an open question what would we all like to see? How many play the game to the limits of the fields? would it be cool if all hedges basically acted like trees so are destructible / plant-able??

And yes I think this becomes a bigger question for console players who don't have the option to edit there maps.
Farming Simulator 15/17/19/22 on SeriesX & PC
Current tractor : Case IH 1455 XL
Current Map : Old Stream Farm
Irish farmer 91

Re: Hedge Collision

Post by Irish farmer 91 »

Would definitely prefer to have collisions on hedges but also the option to either remove any existing hedge or plant a new one
Playing on Ps4
ClassicTractors

Post by ClassicTractors »

I prefer no collision since they are "worker-proof". If I was the only one doing field work, I would prefer collisions.
CT Modding: Bringing the past to Farming Simulator....one machine at a time.

There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all

- Garth Brooks
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

Currently there is no way to change certain parts of the map based on the difficulty. This would have to be something done by GIANTS first. Plus, you can always just act like there are collisions there. Do the headlands and stuff for the ai, etc, as if they were there
Last edited by Smith Modding on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
ClassicTractors

Post by ClassicTractors »

^^ That's a good idea Smith. I'll start doing that. Thanks *thumbsup*
CT Modding: Bringing the past to Farming Simulator....one machine at a time.

There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all

- Garth Brooks
Zetor9145

Post by Zetor9145 »

I prefer collisions as it keeps the workers in the field, That is one of the reasons I stopped playing west coast as some fields you would set the worker off and when you look later he has gone through a hedge and started ploughing, cultivating a seeded field. And I can't honestly see the point of just having bale collisions as it stops the headers from going through.
Removeable hedges would be a great idea as sometimes you think to yourself oh how handy would a gate be here in this bit of hedge.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Zetor9145 wrote:I prefer collisions as it keeps the workers in the field, That is one of the reasons I stopped playing west coast as some fields you would set the worker off and when you look later he has gone through a hedge and started ploughing, cultivating a seeded field. And I can't honestly see the point of just having bale collisions as it stops the headers from going through.
Removeable hedges would be a great idea as sometimes you think to yourself oh how handy would a gate be here in this bit of hedge.
You can't see the reason?

Try making a mod map and hearing thousands of people complain about the way you try to compromise.

Put full hedge collisions on = people whinging they can't drive through them.

Have no hedge collisions = people whinging bales roll clear across the map.

Think outside the box and come up with bale only hedge collisons, but then find that GIANTS assigned the same collision mask value to headers = people whinging they don't see the reason.

Do you see the issue? A mod map maker can never please everyone. Before you judge a map makers building decision remember that the process is a constant compromise.

Personally I would put hedge collisons on my map and everyone be dammed.
However I felt sorry for the parts of the community (EURO and North Amercian) that have a great aversion to hedges as if they are something evil. Who apparently want to be able to drive through hedges. So I took a compromise between both extremes.

Cuttable hedges would be nice, and yes BsM are doing them, after a fashion.
However having a hedge as a foliage layer has its drawbacks. The hedges clip distance is way too small, and is not visible in the distance taking away from the realism.

So for now this is what I've come up with.
Last edited by BulletBill on Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bungle

Post by Bungle »

Monkey Boom!! ^^^^^^ I think it’s great, no more lost bales, but still the ability to swing the back of th combine round - saving damaged crops!! Winner!!
Playing on XBone in Somerset, UK - Typically spending more time on the forum than actually playing the game.
I farm, you eat!

Post by I farm, you eat! »

I think you oughta made the map how you wanted and to spec for your area Bill. Btw, hands down the best map I've played (console)! The hedges are not driven thru irl and to those that don't want hedge collisions boo who! The workers in my opinion work way better with collisions. At least the combine doesn't get stuck bc to me it isn't detecting the collisions with the actual harvester being the collision is just on the head. Not to mention it makes the map sooo much bigger when you can't just pile off thru the hedge and have to use the gates. Plus, the bushes/trees in the hedge that are collidable only cause probs. Incredible map tho Bill!!!
cr41g_1965

Post by cr41g_1965 »

I think its the modder's prerogative to make the map in the fashion that they like and they want... and the rest of you to shut your mouths and be glad they they do anything for you....

Farming Simulator 76

playing RDR2
CombineBert

Post by CombineBert »

Agreed, if people do not like the aspect of a map that much, uninstall and use another one. There are plenty to choose from.

Personally I try to observe the hedges where possible if there aren't collisions to keep some sort of realism. Though the odd shortcut does creep in here and there.

I did wonder about the header getting stuck and was unaware of bale only collisions. Thank you for sharing that, an excellent compromise given the available game mechanics. Good job.
Platform: WIN 10 | Game Version: PC Steam
Devices: Logitech G29 Wheel, pedals & shifter | Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick | Stream Deck

Current FS19 Maps:
Ravensburg - 9 Day Seasons
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Don't get me wrong I understand how all the players feel and how they have there own preference of playing the game.

But don't for a second think I just slapped stuff on the map with no thought unlike some mappers.

I spends hours, sometimes days, mulling over how best to implement something on the map, thinking how it will affect all the players from around world.

Also I cannot completely change the mechcanics of the game. I have to find the best compromise possible.

What my maps are like that have been released, are nothing compared to what I would like to do with them, but what I could do with the tools available.
SimulatedSphere

Post by SimulatedSphere »

BSM have their map fitted with removable hedges for console and pc (coming soon).
XBOX ONE S ( I don't have limited power :biggrin2: )| FS17 | UK
Just waiting for FS19!
I play with as much realism as possible :wink3:
XBOX ONE S ¦ On Estancia / Sussex Farm / Oakfield |FS13 , FS15 , FS17
Thank you to all modders out there , the game would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Thank you to Giants as my Xbox would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Zetor9145

Post by Zetor9145 »

BulletBill83 wrote:
Zetor9145 wrote:I prefer collisions as it keeps the workers in the field, That is one of the reasons I stopped playing west coast as some fields you would set the worker off and when you look later he has gone through a hedge and started ploughing, cultivating a seeded field. And I can't honestly see the point of just having bale collisions as it stops the headers from going through.

Try making a mod map and hearing thousands of people complain about the way you try to compromise.

Think outside the box and come up with bale only hedge collisons, but then find that GIANTS assigned the same collision mask value to headers = people whinging they don't see the reason.

Do you see the issue? A mod map maker can never please everyone. Before you judge a map makers building decision remember that the process is a constant compromise.

However I felt sorry for the parts of the community (EURO and North Amercian) that have a great aversion to hedges as if they are something evil. Who apparently want to be able to drive through hedges. So I took a compromise between both extremes.

However having a hedge as a foliage layer has its drawbacks. The hedges clip distance is way too small, and is not visible in the distance taking away from the realism.

Well, thanks for clearing that up Bill, It wasn't a dig at you or your map but just something that annoyed me. It's still a brilliant map. As for the whinging!!!! I didn't think I was whinging but hey ho. I don't even use round bales as Squares don't roll anywhere and are so much better to load and handle.
But you go on to talk about realism.....Er, where can you drive through hedges in real life....Apart from backward's in a Capri Lol.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Zetor9145 wrote:
BulletBill83 wrote:

Well, thanks for clearing that up Bill, It wasn't a dig at you or your map but just something that annoyed me. It's still a brilliant map. As for the whinging!!!! I didn't think I was whinging but hey ho. I don't even use round bales as Squares don't roll anywhere and are so much better to load and handle.
But you go on to talk about realism.....Er, where can you drive through hedges in real life....Apart from backward's in a Capri Lol.
Apologies if you thought I meant you personally. Yesterday I had a bucketload of messages all complaining about the map, and how I should have built it. After the 50th one It was starting to grate.
All my messages yesterday at that point were a bit.... snappy... ;)