Sugarcane Question

Graham1969

Sugarcane Question

Post by Graham1969 »

This is just a quick question really, but I should start by explaining what I would like to know!

Once the Sugarcane has been harvested, it leaves behind some kind of swath. I just cannot work out what that swath is. I cannot windrow it or bale it or pick it up with a loading wagon. So, please can someone tell me what I am meant to do with it. Surely you can do something with it or the machine would not put it down on the floor after harvest.
Nigelbilt

Re: Sugarcane Question

Post by Nigelbilt »

It is to make the ground look like what it would after a harvest. Nothing more.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I would suggest watching some Youtube videos of sugarcane production. I had no clue how sugarcane is grown or harvested. Youtube fixed that. Giants did a nice job of modeling the "chaff" left over from harvest. Now if we could get the same thing from corn... That chaff will (in my mind) help keep the weeds down until the cane starts to regrow.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
NateS

Post by NateS »

IRL that chaff prevents the future young growth from frost damage. In game, it does nothing and stays there unless you cultivate/plow/seed again.
PC & PS4
eric21

Post by eric21 »

NateS wrote:IRL that chaff prevents the future young growth from frost damage. In game, it does nothing and stays there unless you cultivate/plow/seed again.
Ingame it regrows as cane is a type of grass
NateS

Post by NateS »

eric21 wrote:
NateS wrote:IRL that chaff prevents the future young growth from frost damage. In game, it does nothing and stays there unless you cultivate/plow/seed again.
I'm talking the chaff... It stays on the ground while the next crop grows. The only way to remove the chaff is to plow it under.
PC & PS4
Redneck Farmer

Post by Redneck Farmer »

NateS wrote:
eric21 wrote:
I'm talking the chaff... It stays on the ground while the next crop grows. The only way to remove the chaff is to plow it under.
ok I understand that the only way to get rid of it ingame is to plow it under but I think it would be better served to be able to collect it somehow and use it as feed or to make silage to feed the cows or sell. otherwise its just a wasted resource.
XBOX ONE and PC
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Redneck Farmer wrote:
NateS wrote:
eric21 wrote: Ingame it regrows as cane is a type of grass
ok I understand that the only way to get rid of it ingame is to plow it under but I think it would be better served to be able to collect it somehow and use it as feed or to make silage to feed the cows or sell. otherwise its just a wasted resource.
I havent heard sugarcane being used as feed, fuel yes but but not feed
NateS

Post by NateS »

As I said, IRL the chaff is left on the field to aid in the regrowth of the crop. Maybe if they develop this crop more in future games, it can be collected and sold as biofuel but then that field wouldn't regrow.
PC & PS4
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

The chaff laying on the ground is pretty useless I would imagine. No nutritional value to animals and not worth destroying the crop to collect it.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!