Round Fields, where are you?

OkieFarmer

Round Fields, where are you?

Post by OkieFarmer »

I’ve always wondered why there weren’t any. Growing up in SW Kansas that’s pretty much all we had.

Is it just an issue with workers not being able to properly work them?
fenixguy

Re: Round Fields, where are you?

Post by fenixguy »

Yeah, the worker would be useless. We also don't need irrigation in the game, so no reason for round fields. I do remember there being a mod map for FS2011 that had round fields and center pivots.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Diggity

Post by Diggity »

Irrigation would be an interesting addition to the game maybe? Center pivot and maybe some water trenches or possibly rain dependent yields? Just thinking out loud here, not a mod request...
OkieFarmer

Post by OkieFarmer »

^^ Those are some solid ideas. Of course irrigation is the reason we had round fields so maybe introduce a sprinkler system.

“Watering your crops produces x times the yield” scenario

Each new map having it’s own climate so basically ties in to seasons. I like it.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

If giants could incorporate a better ai system (ai vehicle edition for example) then round fields would be really fun
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Nigelbilt

Post by Nigelbilt »

I think AI is limited by the engine.
novass

Post by novass »

Good ideas.AI would have to get better.game engine would mostly have to be redone.what I remember about KS..is ticks and chiggers.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Nigelbilt wrote:I think AI is limited by the engine.
The AI is not limited at all by the game engine. On PC which uses the same engine we have complex AI mode such as Courseplay which work well.

The AI is just an area GIANTS have never really expanded on, although I have heard that for Fs19 they are planning on reworking the enitre AI system.
Nigelbilt

Post by Nigelbilt »

I am pretty sure courseplay and the way GIANTS implemented AI are two totally separate things. I mean courseplay is not really AI, it’s just setting a complete path and that the computer follows making no decisions for itself. Hired help AI is literally the computer trying to figure out what to do how to do it. Courseplay isn’t really AI at all.

AI is always tied to and limited by the game engine, that’s my understand of how it works. What else would it be limited by?
Last edited by Nigelbilt on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

BulletBill83 wrote:
The AI is not limited at all by the game engine. On PC which uses the same engine we have complex AI mode such as Courseplay which work well.

The AI is just an area GIANTS have never really expanded on, although I have heard that for Fs19 they are planning on reworking the enitre AI system.
The game is limited by the game engine. In the map editor you need to define the edges of a field using squared markers. Rounded field would be a nightmare to create for the AI. Players have added the functionality, like courseplay that gives the game a longer life span. Hopefully giants will eventually realize they need to spend money to make money. Probably somewhere around march 13th
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
Nigelbilt

Post by Nigelbilt »

I’m not sure what that has to do with anything and I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that GIANTS doesn’t know that development costs are a thing because of round fields. What is your point and how does it relate to anything?
eric21

Post by eric21 »

thumbwiz wrote:
BulletBill83 wrote:

The game is limited by the game engine. In the map editor you need to define the edges of a field using squared markers. Rounded field would be a nightmare to create for the AI. Players have added the functionality, like courseplay that gives the game a longer life span. Hopefully giants will eventually realize they need to spend money to make money. Probably somewhere around march 13th
Actually i remmeber somewhere on here that they can add stuff but choose not to, they like to do it little by little
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

My point is that rounded fields would be nearly impossible in the map editor with regards to defining the edges.
Fields are defined with squared markers in the map editor. The map editor is limited by the game engine, which is limited by development.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

eric21 wrote:
thumbwiz wrote:
BulletBill83 wrote:

Actually i remmeber somewhere on here that they can add stuff but choose not to, they like to do it little by little
Yes, copy/paste, add a new crop, add a new map, include one everyone already paid for last time, okay FS19 is ready.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
Nigelbilt

Post by Nigelbilt »

Engine development and game development are two vastly different beasts. Engine development is magnitudes more complex. For GIANTS to have an in-house engine that works as well as it does is extremely impressive. I mean it took years for Bethesda and DICE to sort their respective engines out and there physics and AI can still be wonky AF and they have EA and Zenimax backing them.

Saying GIANTS just copy/pastes for each release is ridiculous. If you are trying to have a actual conversation about this, leaving the hyperbole out is a good start.