Personal Rules

thumbwiz

Personal Rules

Post by thumbwiz »

Just wondering if anyone shared any similar rules. I live in a farming community in Canada.
- I never take shortcuts across fields, always use roads or access paths. In my area fields are surrounded by fence or ditch.
- I lease a truck and trailer to deliver crops to sell points. Farmers in my area don't really own a semi. Although, if i grow my farm big enough I will buy a truck, because I'm already rich.
- I hire workers only if I have other things to do.
- I only missions if I'm about to buy a field. I already own a farm, so I'm too proud to be hired out otherwise.
- I always rotate my crops as done IRL.
- I always produce straw. Straw will be used for animals or be sold.
- As soon as the challenge is gone, I restart on whatever map appeals to me.

Do any of you have rules you set for yourself? I'd love some ideas to help keep this game fresh.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
BigC92

Re: Personal Rules

Post by BigC92 »

I have the same thing, besides for planting, i cant drive straight, but i play a math-ish mindset, like if theres a tractor or whatever i want, ill save money for it, i replace tractors and/or equipment, and i buy what i have use for, like downloading mods.
FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

I use NH always if I can afford it. Boom.
Tryin to make a 9700 Ford mod, one of these days
#LimeGreenPower
Playin on PC in Tennessee!
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whovever shall believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"
Old Iron Best Iron.
PM me for a Discord link.
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

Stop playing if I throw things or scream at the TV. Wait thats not my rule thats the womans rule. My only rule I give myself,on any game,is to have fun.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
Diggity

Post by Diggity »

I hire workers A LOT and I don't mind that since I am paying them a wage. (Makes me question the course play mod on PC, does that mod cost you a wage like hired workers?)
Guitarman

Post by Guitarman »

I share many of the ones you use (not driving through fields..... though I did alot of that in 2013)

Other major one for me is trying to park vehicles up 'neatly' as soon as I'm done with them.
Optimist: Glass is half full
Pessimist: Glass is half empty

Engineer: The glass is twice the size it needs to be!

PC Specs (upgraded at last!): Acer Orion 3000; i5-8400, 8Gb Ram, GTX 1050ti, Intel Optane 16gb
Beastofwar

Post by Beastofwar »

- i will always have Courseplay handle my transport, i can't be bothered to do that many boring transport runs myself
- I always use hired helpers, i like to manage things, not do them myself save for stuff that can't be automated.
- i will buy stuff when i plan to use it for a long time and use repair mod on them. Leasing only for 1 time short jobs if i can make a profit.
- i will not use too expensive tractors/implements on work that does not need them, smaller fields can do with smaller tractors and implements.
- i never leave straw on the field also, that's worth money in a direct or indirect way.
- i have no preference for brands, but some tractors/trucks work better for me then others.
- i realize that i'm working with the rules of a game and bow that to my will where possible, not having to deal with a RL situation of running a RL farm.
- I have all animals only to play the game as complex as it came.....it gives you more to do.

- i once tried to own and use all the fields in GCV but i quit due to repetitive gameplay....but i sure had a lot to do :-)))
Intel i5 3570K 3.40 GHZ (Quad Core)
8 GB Memory DDR3
R9 280 GFX card 3GB DDR5
1x 64GB SDD 1x 128 GB SDD 1x 1TB HDD
Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Diggity

Post by Diggity »

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread/topic but I'm gonna put it out there anyway...

Does anyone else question the several very large price differences with some equipment and placeable objects? I almost feel guilty using the mod MF combine because it is so much cheaper than all the similar options. Even if you assume it was used and shouldn't cost as much as a new machine. Or an even better example is how a silo extension is a minimum of 70k while a brand new grain bin is only 25k and hold much more and can be placed anywhere on the map?
Beastofwar

Post by Beastofwar »

I only hate it how some mods offer stuff that is game breaking cheap. On the other hand some placeable objects seem artificially way to expensive.
8 GB Memory DDR3
R9 280 GFX card 3GB DDR5
W1der

Post by W1der »

If I add extra money in to the game ... I also edit the loan to reflect this ... and to "punish" myself I also edit the loan fee to be x3 what ever the default value is on "hard".

This gives me a goal - pay the loan back and earn XXX in cash before I leave the "savegame"!
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
novass

Post by novass »

I do have rules and story as to why.When I started playing fs 15 a few years ago.I looked at it as a abandoned farm up for auction. .hence the loan.I earned and built the farm as needed,as time went on I earned alot and in time was a millionaire in game..that said.I kept tack if all money/land and equipment I had and all resources on the maps.
When fs17 was released I played the same way with most of the rule others play from.as maps were realeased and updated I was not happy about starting again..but still had my earnings on paper..so heres were others mostly will say I cheated..but its my game.
when the green money tree in mods was released.I used it to give me back what was list in updates..I glad for the updates but on console there was no saving your resources, money/equipment /land and all resources you earned.
so I started seeing my story as a rich dude now that takes money and buys abandoned farms/land and makes it into a fully functioning farm I farm and business. .many other rules to but to many to add to it post..it would be long and boring to most...but ablast to me..take care all.
Case1370

Post by Case1370 »

thumbwiz wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:41 am Just wondering if anyone shared any similar rules. I live in a farming community in Canada.
- I never take shortcuts across fields, always use roads or access paths. In my area fields are surrounded by fence or ditch.
- I lease a truck and trailer to deliver crops to sell points. Farmers in my area don't really own a semi. Although, if i grow my farm big enough I will buy a truck, because I'm already rich.
- I hire workers only if I have other things to do.
- I only missions if I'm about to buy a field. I already own a farm, so I'm too proud to be hired out otherwise.
- I always rotate my crops as done IRL.
- I always produce straw. Straw will be used for animals or be sold.
- As soon as the challenge is gone, I restart on whatever map appeals to me.

Do any of you have rules you set for yourself? I'd love some ideas to help keep this game fresh.

What I do is I start out small, and build my way up, when there is multiple farms, I will start with the 1 main farm, and I typically dont use the other farms, till I buy the land around them, to make it more realistic. I do things, with this game, as I have always done IRL on my farm. I use the seasons mod, as well as the MR mods, and right now Im playing with 15 days per season, but when I find a good map, USA map, one that I will play on till FS19 comes out, I will probably go with 24 days per season. Actually if Giants, dont make a more realistic simulation with FS19, I likely will stick with 17, or I wont buy it on day1, anyway. Hopefully with what the guys did with the seasons mod, that the dev of FS start stepping up their game, and start making a more realistic farm sim. I will be very disappointed if FS19 hasnt take the seasons mod, and built upon it, to make the game more of a true sim, but will see I guess.
I also always keep the game speed a 5x, and skip nights, unless Im planting or harvesting, and even then I will skip nights unless, Im running behind, to where crops are going to wither, then I will just leave it at 5x. I also wont do any field work if its raining, and I will go cut some trees down, and wait till things dry out. I do use hired help/courseplay, but very little. Basically I will hire help to run the auger cart, and haul grain, while I harvest, and will hire help to work ground ahead of the planter, while I plant, which is the way I have always done IRL.

I typically plow every year as well, although I will no-wheat and barley at times, or I will run a field cultivator over bean stubble ocassionally before drillin wheat or barley. I do rotate my crops as I did IRL, with mainly just corn and soybeans, as depending on the map Im on, I dont plant wheat or barley every yr, unless I need to bale straw, and I only bale wheat straw, as IRL, wheat is best used for livestock bedding, over barley, or oat straw.
Beastofwar

Post by Beastofwar »

I always though that was the general idea of original maps : some farmer or farmer community has reached pensioner age, died, went bankrupt or abandoned their farm ( as in the Russian map which must have been an abandoned continuation of a former Kolchoz or Sovchoz community ) and you, the player bought it cheaply ( or have taken over in case that was your father/family farm ) and start the game from there.

Why else would you start with elderly used equipment that is already ( game wise ) all but written off in engine hours and way due to be replaced ? First thing you are going to do is try make money and buy better/more stuff and replace the "junk"

If it was an all new farm, you wouldn't start with older equipment. So that gives room for imagination what has happend before you came :-))
8 GB Memory DDR3
R9 280 GFX card 3GB DDR5
Tuurboclaw

Post by Tuurboclaw »

I am starting a new map. I am playing who dat who see ranch and playing on medium. I am starting with four million dollars and set up a repayment schedule of $200,000 due at 17:00 hrs each day until I pay the loan off. I am playing on fast growth and plowing and 3x fert.

I am playing on Xbox so to make payments, I lease five beet harvesters and return them right away ($40,000 x 5). My rules are I can pay ahead and like to have a day or so buffer. I try to get debt free as soon as I can and see I am going to see how big I can grow the farm.

Sometimes I like to start with a bigger starting farm just for something different. But the loan adds pressure and makes it fun and challenging.
MountainFarmer

Post by MountainFarmer »

Mods Used: MR, Seasons, Gearbox, Groundscales, realistic Machinery, (I saw a 5k hp tractor on a mod site), no tow truck (i.e. no vehicle reset), 4Real modules.

Self imposed realism rules: Speed 1x, no driving over neighbor's fields, realistic work speeds (i.e. no plowing at 15 mph). I do forestry on about 15x/30x speed, because IRL cutting a tree and removing the branches would take a lot of time, easily 10-20 min for a large tree. I thought about keeping speed at 1x and somehow removing money, to simulate having a forestry helper. No gold nuggets.

I use teleport sometimes when IRL a phone call would do the job (to inquire about a field's price, or to tell a worker what to do).