To Fertilize or Not to Fertilize?

Poppyfarmaston

To Fertilize or Not to Fertilize?

Post by Poppyfarmaston »

I'm a little confused as to some of the hints and tips online. A lot of the "Your First Day" videos advice to harvest and sell crops that have not been fertilized in order to get the $$$ flowing.

I'm thinking what is the point of having the fertilize feature if it's not even necessary in order to grow and sell?

I mean if the equipment is costing X amount of $$$ to run daily, and you can in fact sell off crops without the need to fertilize ... well then I can't see the point of fertilizing as it only seems to me that it's going to take more time, ware and tare and money in the long run.

Thoughts anyone?
Thefisherj

Re: To Fertilize or Not to Fertilize?

Post by Thefisherj »

You get a better crop yield so u get more for crop.
Poppyfarmaston

Post by Poppyfarmaston »

I don't doubt that. Just wondering why so many people are skipping this process. Is it because of the extra waiting time which then cuts into the maintenance cost which offsets the extra yield? Or the quicker times in selling smaller yields offsets the extra yeild?

I beleive my Son Inlaw that showed me this games skimps on fertilizing as well. Which kind of confuses me as to why so many people are skipping this otherwise vital step?
jenna_q

Post by jenna_q »

As far as I know you cannot fertilize a crop that is ready to harvest. Plus if you are playing with 3 stage fertilizer you would get very little benefit from only 1 stage. Also you cannot get a full yield as the field needs plowing if you have periodic plowing on. So when it is your crops that you are working it is well worth the time to fertilize, but no use to do it when the crop was on a field to begin with.
"In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity." Sun Tzu, The Art of War
NateS

Post by NateS »

It is always worth it to fertilize. I don't know anybody who skips a fert stage on purpose. Your crops take the same amount of time to grow whether they are fertilized or nit.
PC & PS4
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Yeah, same here Nate. But when i first star a map, ill set it to 1, but when i have animals, ill set it to 3, gotta get rid of it somehow.
Dankaila7

Post by Dankaila7 »

All depends how you want to play the game. Realistic or treat it like a game. You fertilise in real life obviously for more yield. More yield = more crop so there for more crop = more money. So just planting/sowing the crop and waiting till harvest is not getting the full potential out of that crop or $ in return. Yes fertiliser spreader/ sprayer is more money to invest but I guess you could say it pays itself off with the extra yield *thumbsup* just my point of view.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

jenna_q wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:40 am As far as I know you cannot fertilize a crop that is ready to harvest.
If you're just playing with one stage fertiliser on then you can fertilise a field which is ready to harvest if you've just bought it. I do this all the time when playing on new maps. Though obviously not since seasons was released.
NateS

Post by NateS »

Mobias wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:58 am
jenna_q wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:40 am As far as I know you cannot fertilize a crop that is ready to harvest.
If you're just playing with one stage fertiliser on then you can fertilise a field which is ready to harvest if you've just bought it. I do this all the time when playing on new maps. Though obviously not since seasons was released.
In the base game, you can fertilize a ready to harvest field. The seasons mod does not allow this.
(Just trying to clarify)
PC & PS4
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I always fertilize and I've always had 3x stages and plowing required turned on.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
SimulatedSphere

Post by SimulatedSphere »

Its a really hard choice because with fertilizer , you get more crop thus more money but fertilizer costs alot so its sorta 50 -50 .
XBOX ONE S ( I don't have limited power :biggrin2: )| FS17 | UK
Just waiting for FS19!
I play with as much realism as possible :wink3:
XBOX ONE S ¦ On Estancia / Sussex Farm / Oakfield |FS13 , FS15 , FS17
Thank you to all modders out there , the game would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Thank you to Giants as my Xbox would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
SimulatedSphere

Post by SimulatedSphere »

I also follow the 3 stage process .
XBOX ONE S ( I don't have limited power :biggrin2: )| FS17 | UK
Just waiting for FS19!
I play with as much realism as possible :wink3:
XBOX ONE S ¦ On Estancia / Sussex Farm / Oakfield |FS13 , FS15 , FS17
Thank you to all modders out there , the game would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Thank you to Giants as my Xbox would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Bushmaster77

Post by Bushmaster77 »

I fertilize three time as well. First, when I cultivate the stubble. Second, I use fertilizer when I plant. Third/lastly I spray in the early growth stage. I do not plow as I practice the no-till method...well somewhat anyway.
Poppyfarmaston

Post by Poppyfarmaston »

Good Community you guys have here. Getting lot's of responses and very grateful for it. Thanks Guys.

The reason I made this thread was not only because of the tutorials that skimp on fertilizing, but also because of my Son Inlaw playing more a sandbox easy style of play. Of course that's fine if your into making a quick buck and have more fun doing things that way.

I think I will play in more realistic mode as I get more used to the game. I have decided I want to learn how to fertilize and maximize my yeild. You guys have talked me into it!!! :)

For now I am still learning. I have to admit ... "I LOVE THIS GAME & AM COMPLETELY AND DEEPLY ADDICTED TO IT!"
NateS

Post by NateS »

One way to cut down on fert cost is to use a weeder in the first growth stage. There are a couple in the base game and some of the ground rollers also function as weeder in game.
PC & PS4