IRRIGATION? How do we water our crops?

Poppyfarmaston

Post by Poppyfarmaston »

Do we really have to use a MOD for this most important feature of farming?

I don't remember much of a focus on the use of water for growing during my time in the tutorial???
MrSquealypig

Re: IRRIGATION? How do we water our crops?

Post by MrSquealypig »

I wondered about this myself, but I am not a farmer and thought it might be a stupid question to ask. Like maybe rain is enough in some areas.
IowaFarmer34

Post by IowaFarmer34 »

There are plenty of places in the world where there is very little irrigation used in agriculture. I am from Midwest USA and irrigation is done in some areas depending on soil type and water availability. If soil has high clay content water is well retain and irrigation not required, but if there is high sand/gravel content then the water leaks out of the soil and irrigation is necessary to grow crops.
FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

Poppyfarmaston wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:39 am IRRIGATION? How do we water our crops?

I don't remember much of a focus on the use of water for growing during my time in the tutorial???
You don't water them
Tryin to make a 9700 Ford mod, one of these days
#LimeGreenPower
Playin on PC in Tennessee!
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whovever shall believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"
Old Iron Best Iron.
PM me for a Discord link.
SimulatedSphere

Post by SimulatedSphere »

FordFarmer97 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:53 pm
Poppyfarmaston wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:39 am IRRIGATION? How do we water our crops?

You don't water them
True . In my allotment we don't water the potatoes .
XBOX ONE S ( I don't have limited power :biggrin2: )| FS17 | UK
Just waiting for FS19!
I play with as much realism as possible :wink3:
XBOX ONE S ¦ On Estancia / Sussex Farm / Oakfield |FS13 , FS15 , FS17
Thank you to all modders out there , the game would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Thank you to Giants as my Xbox would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

Where I am, most crops don't get irrigated. The only ones I can think of are tobacco and some vegetable crops.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

They irrigate some corn here
Tryin to make a 9700 Ford mod, one of these days
#LimeGreenPower
Playin on PC in Tennessee!
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whovever shall believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"
Old Iron Best Iron.
PM me for a Discord link.
NateS

Post by NateS »

There is no irrigation in the game, but it would be cool if there was!
PC & PS4
MountainFarmer

Post by MountainFarmer »

There is a mod that allows you to roll out irrigation hoses onto your field. While irrigation as such is not in FS 17, this mod increases the fertilization level of the field. It's called FS17_Pack_Irrigation_Optima.
Poppyfarmaston

Post by Poppyfarmaston »

I live in Australia and worked on many a farm. Farming land requires irrigation to successfully farm. No brainier. BUT - then most folks these days don't even know where eggs or milk comes from. Sign of the times ... as too the lack of ability to read the seasons.

Watering crops increases yeild and I would say 'most' places on the planet this day and age require irrigation as a necessitate in order to farm point blank - regardless of where one may live.

Seems ridiculous that there is no irrigation. But ... given the automation of many of the mods now coming out ... Farm Simulation of this game seems to be debatable. Unless you have robots working your farm. ... that's another topic I guess.

I'll use a watering can if need be. :lol:
Poppyfarmaston

Post by Poppyfarmaston »

NateS wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:52 pm There is no irrigation in the game, but it would be cool if there was!
ABSOLUTEY!!!

From the look of automation in the game, I think the emphasis is for most people to make money as quick as possible. I'm of the old school and much prefer to use a shovel in order to get the job done right. Nothing like taking time in order to get a sense of what working a farm is and is not. Lack of irrigation combined with making bails disappear and then reaper is far from a farm simulation.

I can't wait till this game style includes the ability to actually hold a shovel like players in COD hold a gun! Grab a hay bail using the twine and throwing it on the good ol fashioned way ... a game for hard core workers that care less for the automation, hacks, cheats and so on. That said ... each to their own.

... but that's just me. :)
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

You're probably right, but this is a farm equipment simulator, whether it says that in the title or not. If I want to use a shovel, I can do that in real life. Irrigation would be cool though.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Case1370

Post by Case1370 »

IowaFarmer34 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:31 pm There are plenty of places in the world where there is very little irrigation used in agriculture. I am from Midwest USA and irrigation is done in some areas depending on soil type and water availability. If soil has high clay content water is well retain and irrigation not required, but if there is high sand/gravel content then the water leaks out of the soil and irrigation is necessary to grow crops.

This is correct. It all depends on your soil and where your farm is located. You take where I farm, in Central Indiana, we have a lot of rich black soil, mixed with clay, so Irrigation really wouldnt be profitable most yrs, although would have been nice to have during drought yrs,lol. You get farther north in Indiana, you will see some irrigation due to some sandy loam soils. You will also see some Irrigation in the southern part of Indiana
I havent traveled the country, too much, but I figure both Illinois and Iowa, who actually have even richer top soil than we do in Central Indiana, you probably wont see much Irrigation in those parts either.

Irrigation tends to be used more out in the Western part of farm country here in the US, I know Nebraska tends to have quite a bit of Irrigated farm land. I think they tend to use their irrigation where they plant corn yr after yr, as corn doesnt do well in dry years, where as soybeans, tends to hold up better during dryer yrs. I wouldnt think they irrigate all that much wheat or barley either for that matter.

In FS17, weather dont effect your crop yields either way, so irrigating mods, would just be for show. Unless there is a mod out there, that effects crop yields, that I dont know about. I know as of now, Seasons mod, has no effect on crop yields. Would be a great idea, if they find a way to make weather impact your yields.
Poppyfarmaston

Post by Poppyfarmaston »

fenixguy wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:04 am You're probably right, but this is a farm equipment simulator, whether it says that in the title or not. If I want to use a shovel, I can do that in real life. Irrigation would be cool though.
A shovel is a piece of equipment; just like a chain saw. The realism of a good simulation is an environment that depicts all the 'main' elements of the theme. Leaving irrigation off that list makes no sense at all.

Real Life? What's that? Just kidding. I can go visit family down south and drive a tractor is I want to ... but I can't own their farm. Just because I can drive a tractor does not mean I will not get as much out of a Farm Simulator.
Poppyfarmaston

Post by Poppyfarmaston »

Case1370 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:21 am
IowaFarmer34 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:31 pm There are plenty of places in the world where there is very little irrigation used in agriculture. I am from Midwest USA and irrigation is done in some areas depending on soil type and water availability. If soil has high clay content water is well retain and irrigation not required, but if there is high sand/gravel content then the water leaks out of the soil and irrigation is necessary to grow crops.

This is correct. It all depends on your soil and where your farm is located. You take where I farm, in Central Indiana, we have a lot of rich black soil, mixed with clay, so Irrigation really wouldnt be profitable most yrs, although would have been nice to have during drought yrs,lol. You get farther north in Indiana, you will see some irrigation due to some sandy loam soils. You will also see some Irrigation in the southern part of Indiana
I havent traveled the country, too much, but I figure both Illinois and Iowa, who actually have even richer top soil than we do in Central Indiana, you probably wont see much Irrigation in those parts either.

Irrigation tends to be used more out in the Western part of farm country here in the US, I know Nebraska tends to have quite a bit of Irrigated farm land. I think they tend to use their irrigation where they plant corn yr after yr, as corn doesnt do well in dry years, where as soybeans, tends to hold up better during dryer yrs. I wouldnt think they irrigate all that much wheat or barley either for that matter.

In FS17, weather dont effect your crop yields either way, so irrigating mods, would just be for show. Unless there is a mod out there, that effects crop yields, that I dont know about. I know as of now, Seasons mod, has no effect on crop yields. Would be a great idea, if they find a way to make weather impact your yields.
Excellent points.

I would regard the used of mods that are not tied into the Game Mechanics more time wasting to that of people crating transporter beams to do their hauling for them.

Completely agree the impact of weather should be more integrated than it currently is. Especially since the only impact water has in this game is just on the animals. A Farm Simulator that does not regard Irrigation is important -Image

Righto ... time to go pee on my crops.