Frontier Design - Discussion Topic

RODHA

Re: Frontier Design - Discussion Topic

Post by RODHA »

Just a wild guess, if that is not only me, we get a lot of fps drop even stutter near the edges of the maps or near too tightly packed custom textures (like trees, bushes, etc.). It might be a script that can prevent that from happening. As I said, just a wild guess though.
PS5 / FS22
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

It's a script from Ian898 that removes (clips) vehicles, implements, bales and pallets from specific parts of the map when you're a certain distance away (namely where they won't be seen, such as inside sheds). It prevents FPS drops and stutter in and around the farm yard.

Landy Kid gave an extreme demo of what it does in his let's play: Farming Simulator 17 | Oakfield Farm | EP18 (note it's not that extreme in the released map - that was purely for demo purposes to show what it does).

It's a shame it isn't available to console users as arguably they are the ones who will benefit the most from it, but it's up to Giants to implement support for it. It's also useful in multiplayer where there's lots of equipment for different players.
Scuba steve

Post by Scuba steve »

Things like that mod/script definitely need to be looked into by giants as that would benefit everyone, I've always said how annoying it is to have equipment all together such as at your main farm and when driving by or even walking by you get stutter. I hope giants take notice of that script for sure.
FS17 on Xbox One X. FS19 on PC

Chicago, IL

MyYouTube Channel :coolnew:
Guil

Post by Guil »

I thought it was my computer struggling when I noticed that on Oakfield. Nice work.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

RODHA wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:56 am Just a wild guess, if that is not only me, we get a lot of fps drop even stutter near the edges of the maps or near too tightly packed custom textures (like trees, bushes, etc.). It might be a script that can prevent that from happening. As I said, just a wild guess though.
If a map is constructed properly then you shouldn't have any lag issues or stuttering. Unless you are trying to run Farming Simulator 17 on an old laptop with the graphic settings turned up too high.

Of course all of us map makers are on a constant learning curve. There's no way we can make the perfect product as we don't have all the knowledge. Each game series we try to improve, but then part of our knowledge is reset with each new game series release as there are new functions and features for us to figure out and understand.

What we can do is try out best to improve each time we make a map. Think of new features to add that work with the game. Features that improve performance not decrease it.

Construction methods help massively with this, and then finally proper optimization of things like clip distances, low poly object models, LODs added to larger visible object to reduce FPS drop etc...

"Oakfield Farm" is "Frontier Design's" first true Fs17 map, the previous maps were just converts from Fs15 when we knew far less about properly constructing a map.

"Lone Oak Farm" is taking that one step further, and our next project will do the same again.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

BulletBill wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:23 pmIf a map is constructed properly then you shouldn't have any lag issues or stuttering. Unless you are trying to run Farming Simulator 17 on an old laptop with the graphic settings turned up too high.
Thank you very much for the info BulletBill.

I just want to say this, as a PS4 player I'm bound to what my console supports and as console mods are being tested intensively, I know that fps drops or stutters are due to maps not to some hardware issues or mod conflicts (although I've never experienced a mod conflict in PS4 still this might be a thing).

But in my point of view, that is a very good thing. Because, the maps that I get no fps drops are either the ones that really don't have too much detail or different objects in it or the ones that use repeating textures and objects in a widely spread open area format. Those maps never give any type of "alive" feeling to me.

On the other hand, the maps I get fps drops or stutter are always the maps that make me say "wow, that is an amazing map". Yes this might also happen on a poorly made map even if it uses the base game resources. But generally if a map is detailed and feels alive, I get fps drops here and there.

At the end of the day modders have to find a balance between their imagination (what they want to put out) and limitations of the game itself.

So, I would aways back that preference, where a modder decides push the limits of the game with an amazing map even if it costs some perf. issues here and there. I can easily live with that as the feel of the map can change everything.

And lastly, after 2000+ hrs on FS17 I've decided to play only on certain modders maps.
Because, until the past month I've been playing on every single map that has been released on consoles and in time it has become really obvious that if I'm going to spend my precious free time on this game (when I'm not working which is basically my life) it should be on a map that is really worthed.

So, thank you Frontier Design for making that choice pretty easy for me :hi:

P.S. That is solely my opinion and that opinion doesn't mean other maps are not good. It is just an expression of what I really like to play on as a map.
PS5 / FS22
saltire266

Post by saltire266 »

Hi just a thanks for the Oakfield map! Running on PC at 4K resolution and its just beautiful. This map is the benchmark for Giants in FS19 in my opinion . Just a small snag, One of my gold nuggets is missing and its the one at the empire stores area. It just isn't there.

Thanks
Mike3650

Post by Mike3650 »

saltire266 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:09 pm Hi just a thanks for the Oakfield map! Running on PC at 4K resolution and its just beautiful. This map is the benchmark for Giants in FS19 in my opinion . Just a small snag, One of my gold nuggets is missing and its the one at the empire stores area. It just isn't there.

Thanks
The gold nugget is a known issue, the nugget is not missing it's inside the building. There are 2 options for getting the nugget until an updated version of the map is released.

See here https://www.fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?t ... msg1308513
and here https://www.fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?t ... msg1308507
saltire266

Post by saltire266 »

Mike3650 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 pm
saltire266 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:09 pm Hi just a thanks for the Oakfield map! Running on PC at 4K resolution and its just beautiful. This map is the benchmark for Giants in FS19 in my opinion . Just a small snag, One of my gold nuggets is missing and its the one at the empire stores area. It just isn't there.

Thanks
The gold nugget is a known issue, the nugget is not missing it's inside the building. There are 2 options for getting the nugget until an updated version of the map is released.

See here https://www.fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?t ... msg1308513
and here https://www.fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?t ... msg1308507
Thanks for the help! Worked great, sadly I have spent it already !!!
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

-

-
New update available, please check the first post on the W.I.P. topic to find out more...
-

- LINK: viewtopic.php?f=952&t=123060

(To make it easier for people to see which section of the W.I.P. topic is new I will add this banner:

at the start of the latest section posted. Just scroll down until you find it.)
Scuba steve

Post by Scuba steve »

Looking awesome bill!!! Can't wait!! Thanks for the update.
FS17 on Xbox One X. FS19 on PC

Chicago, IL

MyYouTube Channel :coolnew:
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

That black header looks cool on the NH. Is that a MacDon?
Btw, the photo looks extremely realistic *thumbsup*
PS5 / FS22
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

RODHA wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:10 am That black header looks cool on the NH. Is that a MacDon?
Btw, the photo looks extremely realistic *thumbsup*
Yes that is a MacDon header.
oxygendavid

Post by oxygendavid »

Hiya guys I have updated the support topic on fsuk and my facebook page regarding version 1.0.0.1 of oakfield and consoles.

Full change log here.......

https://www.fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?topic=200831.0
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

-

-
New update available, please check the first post on the W.I.P. topic to find out more...
-

- LINK: viewtopic.php?f=952&t=123060

(To make it easier for people to see which section of the W.I.P. topic is new I will add this banner:

at the start of the latest section posted. Just scroll down until you find it.)