Seasons Mod Thread #2

DirectCedar

Re: Seasons Mod Thread #2

Post by DirectCedar »

I have one big American farm where I run 6 days at 5x, and one small Scandinavian farm where I run 6 days at 15x. I also play a personal "rule" that I can't do any fieldwork during rain or while the soil moisture condition is active (i.e. too wet to harvest, but I apply it as too wet for any fieldwork). I try to shut down at dark but if weather is coming I will run all night. Fairly modest machinery sizes for each farm so field operations are big jobs. In both cases it creates just enough of a sense of urgency that you keep thinking ahead and trying to optimize your activities so you don't run out of daylight or fall weather... Lots of animals on the American farm mix things up and require attention most mornings before heading to the field. I need hired help or some MP friends to get everything done during silage and haying season else there is just not enough time in the day. Lots of logging in the winter on the Scandinavian map but at 15x and short daylight hours the days go relatively fast and even doing it for 5 or 6 days it is still challenging and fun.

The Seasons pricing dynamic where it now generally pays to store most crop and deliver in the winter also creates more to do in the winter and is a much more realistic model than the vanilla economy.

I think that is the whole point of Seasons; to make it feel like the weather matters a little and you're not just farming in a giant Brazilian greenhouse where the drill endlessly chases the combine through the field all year round... As the farm gets bigger you have to plan how to increase your capacity without taking more time. Add labour, add machinery, change or specialize operations... You can't just take on twice as much with the same equipment and get done whenever as you do in vanilla because "whenever" will be the middle of winter :biggrin2: Personally I don't change season length or time scale once I start a map, because they determine how much time is in a year and in real life that of course never really changes. Working around the challenge of that limitation is most of the fun of Seasons IMO.
coolio31

Post by coolio31 »

Is it possible to feed cows with grass bales?
I tried with the food mixer but grass bales are not allowed... Thanks
empato

Post by empato »

coolio31 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:06 pm Is it possible to feed cows with grass bales?
I tried with the food mixer but grass bales are not allowed... Thanks
This has not really much to do with the seasons mod.
Yes, you can feed grass bales to the cows, but you have to feed it directly. The feed mixer only accepts hay.
cr41g_1965

Post by cr41g_1965 »

I just had a quick search but couldn't find it...I know someone had a method of selling animals you start with to get the cleanliness back up by selling and rebuying them... in seasons... could someone remind me please

Farming Simulator 76

playing RDR2
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

cr41g_1965 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:22 pm I just had a quick search but couldn't find it...I know someone had a method of selling animals you start with to get the cleanliness back up by selling and rebuying them... in seasons... could someone remind me please
If you mean health first you buy an animal and then sell it straight away,then you can buy as many animals as you like and the health should be 80%. Also works with animal trailer delivery...just unload one animal then load it back then unload as many as you like. Hope that makes sense
cr41g_1965

Post by cr41g_1965 »

perfect Patrick...exactly the information I was looking for... *thumbsup*

Farming Simulator 76

playing RDR2
Dexzilla

Post by Dexzilla »

Guys I have posted elsewhere but I am really stumped by what has happened to the animal prices in the forth year of a pig farm
Basically the price seems to be flat lining
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmSzfv3llkMJhmQy1glkcGHskTPY
'yesterday' looked like this
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmSzfv3llkMJhmZYDBpjCSlGibVP
Cows and sheep similar and I've had none.
Grains etc look normal
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmSzfv3llkMJhmeof0b1MIn5QGnV

Am worried the save now has a glitch in it, or is this something that happenbs and I can ride out?

Any had this?

Thanks in advance...
XBOX YouTube:
Farming Simulator19 XBOX Cow Care and Cattle Calculations https://youtu.be/1LE5vF1b5v8
Farming Simulator19 XBOX Basic Forestry: The Wood is Good https://youtu.be/uKG1fEsLujs
Let's Play FS19 XBOX Ravenport HARD Pig Farm Pt:11 BAD MOTHER-TRUCKER https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI84FSCccHU&t=89s
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

Patrick73 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:03 pm
If you mean health first you buy an animal and then sell it straight away,then you can buy as many animals as you like and the health should be 80%. Also works with animal trailer delivery...just unload one animal then load it back then unload as many as you like. Hope that makes sense
I started a new WestBridge save with Seasons. Bought 30 sheep. Health got to 4 percent when I read this post about the animal trailer.Leased the art mechanic animal trailer. Loaded sheep,unloaded sheep. Health went to 80 percent!! Saved a lot of money. Thanks!!!
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

^^ Taco, does westbridge have a snow mask?
PS5 / FS22
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

I have a question? Might be a weird one but I just couldn't get my head around.

Why do we sell animals for lower prices than we buy?
I mean, they are not 2nd hand used cars are they?
Take a cow for example. It can give exactly the same thing to it's new owner as it gives to me.
So, why on earth should I sell them for a lower price?
PS5 / FS22
markare

Post by markare »

Because animals age IRL. You wouldn't pay the same price for a fully mature animal that you would for a young one. The more mature the less life it has.
:hi:
Scottish farming with all the n00bery
Xb1
Sometimes stream, depends how I feel
http://aatg.freeforums.net/ work in progress
empato

Post by empato »

Furthermore it`s just part of game balance. If your selling price would be higher than your buying price somebody would use that for cheating.
Sundropjunkie

Post by Sundropjunkie »

OK.... My little Woodshire season's... 6 days at 5x...is going pretty good.... Got 3 of my fields cult, planted, and fert. One field I made grass... For my 2 sheep I sold them all and just bought 2....on my second day it started snowing.... The forecast showed the icon for either snow or something.... Thought it was weird but I went with it... Idk maybe I'll just sell my sheep....
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Proud Console Owner XB1
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

markare wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:26 pm Because animals age IRL. You wouldn't pay the same price for a fully mature animal that you would for a young one. The more mature the less life it has.
True. But is there an algorithm, in FS17 or in seasons, that integrates this parameter into the selling price calculation?
I don't think so. It is basically buy it for more then sell it for less.

Think about it, with that logic, is it even sensible to sell an animals for at least half the buying price just 5 mins after buying it?

Tbh, I don't remember if the selling and buying prices were equal in the base game but it doesn't matter because in seasons, the difference is way too much imo.

Btw, take pigs for example. You buy 200 pigs then they reproduce. You get 10 pigs. Which means they are young. And although they are young, you sell them with a lot less then the buying price.

None of it works logically I think.
empato wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:03 pm Furthermore it`s just part of game balance. If your selling price would be higher than your buying price somebody would use that for cheating.
How so? They don't just reproduce themselves. You have work hard to keep them reproducing. That would be well earned money, not cheating. The selling price should at least be equal to the buying price of the season.
PS5 / FS22
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

The whole animal part of the game is just too simple no matter how you look at it. So when isolating the price aspect it is just impossible to consider what should be realistic or logical. Age, gender, breed, health, weight, disease, body characteristics etc etc is just missing. Buy price being more than sell price is a fundamental aspect in the game, not only in Seasons.

In vanilla the ration between buy and sell price is fixed. Can't remember right now what the ratio is. With Seasons there is an algorithm that depends on health. 80% health is considered average and you will get a lower sell price if you sell animals with lower health. Similar you get a higher price if health is above 80%

What also changes in Seasons is the seasonal pricing. We did not want to create a game mechanic where you bought a lot of animals one day and could sell with profit the next day.

Whether we have struck a good balance with the ratio/algo between buy and sell price and the overall seasonal pricing can of course be a matter of discussion. But more important imo are the other missing aspects of husbandry.