Rinse Repeat...game needs more, needs a reason

rikerdude

Re: Rinse Repeat...game needs more, needs a reason

Post by rikerdude »

I have coworkers that want me to play GTA5 with them. I think THAT’S a grind. Set a goal. 500 cows. 1000 sheep. Raise pigs. I’ve seen vids of planting just corn to make millions on silage. For me, Seasons made me change my strategy. Can’t jump right into sheep. Have to wait to mow grass, now. Like the saying goes, “Pick your poison.”
Last edited by rikerdude on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing on PS4
Highsider

Post by Highsider »

Adding to the addicting relaxing part.
I recommended this game to a friend because he works farms in reallife and we are gamers.
Guess what, I also gave it a go and it keeps me coming back like no other game has ever done. You can just do whatever you like, and it's on a slow relaxing pace...
Not like you'll have cows suddenly fight you cause you forgot feeding them or on your last lap you crashed the tractor because of dropping concentration...
It helps me clear the mind and the stress of every day life when I need it. :hi:
Lovin it, just keep playin, it will come, you'll see the light. :coolnew:
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Yep, it is a grind. You have to create your own reasons. I normally come up with a plan of how I want the farm to end up looking - fields to expand or join; what crops to grow where and for what reason; what machinery I want to end up with etc.

I spent hundreds of hours on GCV on hard working up to owning all the fields and having awesome machinery to work with and for the most part I enjoyed that time but looking back there were hours of clearing trees, mowing grass and plowing out fields that were monotonous as hell. I'm currently trying out Seasons on Sosnovka - its a great mod but if you find the base game a grind this probably won't help. Its a very different way of playing but if you like to build your farms up from small beginnings and don't have an eternity of time on your hands or endless patience I wouldn't recommend it.
VMB-TAN

Post by VMB-TAN »

Maybe it's just not your kind of game?
Turbojugend

Post by Turbojugend »

TacoFarmer wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:38 pm All games are rinse,repeat. This game doesn't force you to do anything you don't want to do. You don't have any body shooting at you or trying to smash you into the wall. It is boring though. BUT it's so addicting it's crazy. Plus for me it's kind of therapeutic. I can play the game and totally relax and clear my mind. Especially planting potatoes. I love planting potatoes. Maybe you'll find your Farming Simulator happy place. Have fun. Farm on.
This. So much this.
heyimbill.com
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

I get asked by the wife and kids “isn’t this boring” maybe it is but I never turn off the PS4 in frustration like when I played fifa and call of duty online. I just relax and enjoy the scenery. It’s taking me ages to make progress on TVTOF but still enjoying it mixed in with a little dirt rally PS4 vr 😁
Jlf85

Post by Jlf85 »

While I agree that the game could have a bit more in terms of story, progression etc... this is farming though. I farmed growing up.. the only "point" of us farming was to grow crops to feed to the animals, which we would then sell... ie--this game, basically.
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

Haven't touched another game since I bought FS17 in November 2016.
the big print giveth the small print taketh
Dankaila7

Post by Dankaila7 »

I’m with breaded virus although I try getting into American truck simulator after playing FS17 for hours but give it 30 mins on truck sim and I crave being in a tractor again or I got the new COD:WWII and did a few missions same again just crave the farm :lol:
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I think folks that find this game boring might be playing the wrong game or trying to play it like it's something else. You either like it or you don't and there's nothing wrong with that. Usually I need a compelling story to keep me interested in a game for more than a week. With FS, something "clicks" that I can't describe. From an outsider's point of view, it's a terribly boring game with no real goal or ending. But I play it like a model railroader would build a layout. I'm always trying to get my farm to look or run a certain way. I don't care how many fields I own or how big the equipment I'm using, it just has to fit whatever "theme" I'm going toward on a particular map. Sometimes that theme is "as big as possible" and sometimes I want to set limits on what I can/can't do. I do wish there were more player choices like building up your farm, picking it's location, building animal areas, etc...

Usually I'll find myself getting bored when I have been at it non-stop for several days. That's when I'll play some Spintires or an adventure game or even fire up the old PS2. Then some amazing mod will release and I'll check it out and get hooked again. Anyway, I've been at it since FS2011 and I don't show any signs of slowing down.

Right now I'm taking a little break from FS. I'm on my 2nd fall of TVTOF and just finished a massive silage harvest. I'm a bit burned out for a little while but I know I'll be back.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

There is so much to do in this game I've been playing it for a year and still haven't done everything, like growing poplars.

There's only one other game I never get bored of no matter how long I've been playing.

Every time I shut it off I think "I wish I could play a little while longer so I could get started on [insert task here]."
Troy Alias

Post by Troy Alias »

Completely agree 100%.

Anyone arguing against this is most likely just filling the role. Nobody disagrees with progress. This game has a lot of potential, more than "seasons" mod could even begin to bring to the table.

I just hope the devs understand this.

Look at other Sim games out there- boring Sim games at that, with pretty in depth graphics/character models/ physics/ etc. Farm Sim is lacking on the scale of visual immersion. As well as depth of purpose (this game does get very boring)

Need RPG elements. Hell, Idk, maybe simply adding next gen graphics with reactive terrain would be enough for me for now.
But I was hooked for about 2 weeks and now I have little motivation.. Just isn't any purpose. But hey, maybe that's what some people want. I would much rather start in a story with 1 tractor and a small shed then slowly build everything I need. Maybe one day
Mythtaken

Post by Mythtaken »

FS is a sandbox game. So is ETS2 and ATS, so is Minecraft, so is Elite Dangerous. They provide the components and the tools, the user provides the story. They aren't for everyone. If you don't have the imagination to create and sustain the story, or if you are looking for a more directed experience, you won't enjoy this game, no matter how good the graphics, or how realistic the physics. That's okay. There are plenty of games covering every type of gameplay.

"This above all: to thine own self be true"*

*Extra points for quoting Shakespeare.
If you sow your wild oats, hope for a crop failure.