GIANTS Idea for console mod capacity. A highlight 4 top modders

traveler87

GIANTS Idea for console mod capacity. A highlight 4 top modders

Post by traveler87 »

Here's an idea... Giants chooses a few mod maps on console and bundles them into a 'mod-spotlight' DLC so they can be downloaded as a free game DLC and not as individual mods. A single map can chew up 15% or more of our storage capacity on PS4 and this can be a workaround.

For Giants, this can be a way to promote top mods and can certainly boost the player base. Not everyone knows how to work modhub or has tried the mod maps. Maps could be chosen using the current stats of star rating or download quantity, or even voted upon. Certainly there's a part of the console player base that blames Giants on the mod cap, regardless of whether it's their fault or not. Give them a few mod maps as a DLC thus freeing up their storage...happier customers.

Thoughts?

I always wondered why the Horsch "DLC" wasn't an actual DLC, but 900MB of downloadable mod content, almost 25% of our PS4 capacity alone.

This isn't unheard of. Ark did it with their Ragnarok map.
TacoFarmer

Re: GIANTS Idea for console mod capacity. A highlight 4 top modders

Post by TacoFarmer »

I think GIANTS should work with the modders and get them more upload space. There was one mod the modder showed and said if he had more space he'd upload it but he had limited space.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
eric21

Post by eric21 »

traveler87 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:41 pm Here's an idea... Giants chooses a few mod maps on console and bundles them into a 'mod-spotlight' DLC so they can be downloaded as a free game DLC and not as individual mods. A single map can chew up 15% or more of our storage capacity on PS4 and this can be a workaround.

For Giants, this can be a way to promote top mods and can certainly boost the player base. Not everyone knows how to work modhub or has tried the mod maps. Maps could be chosen using the current stats of star rating or download quantity, or even voted upon. Certainly there's a part of the console player base that blames Giants on the mod cap, regardless of whether it's their fault or not. Give them a few mod maps as a DLC thus freeing up their storage...happier customers.

Thoughts?

I always wondered why the Horsch "DLC" wasn't an actual DLC, but 900MB of downloadable mod content, almost 25% of our PS4 capacity alone.

This isn't unheard of. Ark did it with their Ragnarok map.
The problem is you don't want people keep buying dlc. The Horsch map was a mod from the contest
markare

Post by markare »

The op didn't mention anything about buying them. Free dlc as they are mods and not giants creations. As the op says maps take an almighty chunk out the allocated space. If not as a dlc then possibly a way to make the file sizes smaller. Before anyone pipes in saying making files smaller requires stuff bring taken out then don't. As this is bs. A file can easily be compressed to use less space and not take away from it. It can be done.
:hi:
Scottish farming with all the n00bery
Xb1
Sometimes stream, depends how I feel
http://aatg.freeforums.net/ work in progress
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

markare wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:04 pmA file can easily be compressed to use less space and not take away from it. It can be done.
I'm sure the files are already compressed as much as they could be.

Modders are not going to release something that wastes a ton of space.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

I would jump on board with this idea
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

Krd1749 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:06 am
markare wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:04 pmA file can easily be compressed to use less space and not take away from it. It can be done.
I'm sure the files are already compressed as much as they could be.

Modders are not going to release something that wastes a ton of space.
True, there's an upload limit (I think it's like a gig or something) and it's already in a zip file, which means it's already compressed
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
SimulatedSphere

Post by SimulatedSphere »

I think that all mods over 100mb should be classed as DLC. Then we have lots of space left on fs19 for other things. I have 800gb left on my storage on the xbox. I could download many maps.
XBOX ONE S ( I don't have limited power :biggrin2: )| FS17 | UK
Just waiting for FS19!
I play with as much realism as possible :wink3:
XBOX ONE S ¦ On Estancia / Sussex Farm / Oakfield |FS13 , FS15 , FS17
Thank you to all modders out there , the game would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Thank you to Giants as my Xbox would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Currently the Modhub mod upload filesize limit is 768mb as a zipped compressed file. Uncompressed that would be roughly 1.4GB depending on the compression ratio of the software that was used.
Gr33kW4rr10r

Post by Gr33kW4rr10r »

If it could be implemented that would be a wonderful idea...
Kind regards
David