Grass Fields and plowing

Corstaad

Grass Fields and plowing

Post by Corstaad »

Quick question about plowing. Do I need to plow established grass fields every three harvests? I restarted GSV on seasons and plowed every field and connected them. Don't feel like doing it again :biggrin2: .
Hairy Bob

Re: Grass Fields and plowing

Post by Hairy Bob »

No, grass fields lose the 'needs ploughing' status after each mowing, and always retain one fertilised stage.
This, and the fact that you can get 3 harvests per year make it an excellent crop to grow with seasons. I usually have at least a quarter of my fields planted with grass to keep cashflow and animals going.
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
Thefisherj

Post by Thefisherj »

Becarrful with oakfield i think OxygenDavid has managed to take that bit out so you have to plough every 3 harvests
IseOlen

Post by IseOlen »

Hairy Bob wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:24 pm This, and the fact that you can get 3 harvests per year make it an excellent crop to grow with seasons.
4 yellow ones or 2 oranges, actually.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

The nice thing about grass too is if you have a field that needs plowing, you can plant grass in it for one harvest and the next crop will have the plow bonus.

That to me, makes it a much better cover crop than radish since you can get a harvest-able crop from it.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

IseOlen wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:45 pm
Hairy Bob wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:24 pm This, and the fact that you can get 3 harvests per year make it an excellent crop to grow with seasons.
4 yellow ones or 2 oranges, actually.
Or 2 orange ones and a yellow one, which gives slightly more grass than 4 yellows and takes less time and fuel.
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

fenixguy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:58 pm The nice thing about grass too is if you have a field that needs plowing, you can plant grass in it for one harvest and the next crop will have the plow bonus.

That to me, makes it a much better cover crop than radish since you can get a harvest-able crop from it.
That's huge I didn't know this.
chaskuchar1

Post by chaskuchar1 »

can you harvest the grass and still have time to raise wheat on that field? I usually just plant soybeans after harvesting the grass. didn't know about the plowing bonus. will keep that in mind. chas
60 acres with center pivot. jmj
playing fs22 on pc, hard mode
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

You know, I think you would have enough time depending on which GEO you're using. Mow the grass as soon as it lets you (yellow "ready to harvest" stage, usually late spring) then plant wheat before summer. I'm using standard seasons with no GEO.

Note: You have to mow the grass once for the "needs plowing" to go away.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Thefisherj wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:14 pm Becarrful with oakfield i think OxygenDavid has managed to take that bit out so you have to plough every 3 harvests

Oxygendavid hasn't altered that at all on Oakfield. It works as any default map does.
Thefisherj

Post by Thefisherj »

Oh, must of misunderstood the youtuber. Thanks for clearing it up
Sergeant Larson

Post by Sergeant Larson »

Anyone know if you can "create fields" over existing grass, replant with grass and get the fertilizer bonus? Same question for dirt roads. :mrgreen:
"What good is a house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?"
-Henry David Thoreau

XBONE
ILL6 Cooperative
Sosnovka Hard No Seasons 270 hrs
Bastogne, Montana
Lone Oak Farm Normal No Seasons
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

Talking of grass fields on Oakfield farm I harvested 1000000l of silage just in time to plant a field of soya...ching ching
Sergeant Larson

Sergeant Larson wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:48 pm Anyone know if you can "create fields" over existing grass, replant with grass and get the fertilizer bonus? Same question for dirt roads. :mrgreen:
Went ahead and tried it. You get the fert bonus. *thumbsup*
-Henry David Thoreau

XBONE
ILL6 Cooperative
Bastogne, Montana
Sergeant Larson

New info discoverd: If you have fertilizer set to single stage, you dont retain the first stage after mowing you have to respray or whatever. Figured out a workaround though: set fert stages to 3, do all your mowing, then set back to 1 stage and presto! your grass is fully fertilized.
-Henry David Thoreau

XBONE
ILL6 Cooperative
Bastogne, Montana