corn silage vs grass silage in game

redglasses

Re: corn silage vs grass silage in game

Post by redglasses »

I got two full cuts of grass, plus a partial at the end with 3 day seasons :hmm:
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
farmertuck

Post by farmertuck »

I find corn gives you more but it costs a lot to get the equipment and I have to cart a lot
If you go with silage bales it can save you time if your playing singlplayer
But in multiplayer corn silage is easier
I play FS19 on PC!
Using a Logitech G29 and Saitek side panel.
Also a farmer IRL
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

redglasses wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:23 am I got two full cuts of grass, plus a partial at the end with 3 day seasons :hmm:
Then I'm doing something really wrong. In all the maps I've played (lots) using only Seasons without Geos I have never gotten more than one full cut using three-day seasons. Some of those maps were Seasons-Ready, some were not, but that never made a difference. One full, one partial. If I go to six-days I get two full and one partial. I always cut it the first day that it turns dark orange (final harvest stage.) My understanding is that grass is different than the other crops; that you have to let it get to dark orange to get a full cut, where the other crops can be harvested in the first stage of yellow. Am I wrong on that?
Playing on PC
empato

Post by empato »

You can cut grass as soon as it reaches the first harvestable stage (yellow in the esc-menu) Yield is higher when you make 3-4 partial cuts than only 2 full cuts.
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

3 partial cuts makes around the same amount as 2 full cuts, and you should be able to get a 3rd partial cut in late autumn if you mow on the transition when it reaches it's orange stage each time.
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
empato

Post by empato »

If weather is not too bad, you can make 4 partial cuts per year.

viewtopic.php?f=895&t=112321&p=884855&hilit=cut#p884855
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Don't think end production tonnage by itself matters. Which is faster, cheaper and easier to produce should be the driver in most cases. Grass requires so much less equipment and labor as complared to corn. And don't forget grass never requires plowing after the initial setup of your field

Only other driver would be field size you own to your need. If I were restricted Then corn gains value. If I have a lot of land access then grass is king
Dankaila7

Post by Dankaila7 »

Hello all. How about in real life, is corn silage a better feed then grass silage or...?
#Joe2015

Post by #Joe2015 »

Corn has a higher yield rate than grass. If your looking to get more product for a larger dairy operation than corn is the way to go. Getting the equipment is not cheap, but in the long run they pay for themselves. But if you have a small operation, grass would be easier as the equipment is cheaper and you dont have to spread fert and replant and till up every year.
PC/Clover Creek/Parker’s Prairie
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

Corn has a higher yield than grass per harvest, 75000l Vs 50000l/ha approx. But you can get more harvests out of grass in the same amount of time, you don't have to replant it, you get a free fertiliser state after each mowing, and there are lots of different ways to harvest and store it, from cheap and basic, like a front mower and forage wagon, to as big and expensive as you like. I've got a couple of 30+ha fields planted to grass, I mow them with a pair of Big Ms, rake the two swaths together and pick them up with a Big X 1100 cargo, all at 12mph. It takes 5 tractors with 50000l tippers to keep up, and the fields are next to the BGA, pushing up at the clamp is a pretty hectic job!
Corn silage just doesn't add up, in terms of cash or time spent. I only do it for variety.
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc