which one produces more
TacoFarmer

Re: corn silage vs grass silage in game

Post by TacoFarmer »

Corn I think
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
Thefisherj

Post by Thefisherj »

Corn by miles
Farmer man

Post by Farmer man »

ok just had a old timers momment haven't messed with chopping silage in forever on fs 17 but started a new map and going to go that way
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

I agree that corn gives you plenty more per harvest, but how many harvests of grass can you get per one harvest of corn? I'm probably thinking in terms of Seasons, but, since you can get more than one cut of grass per Season and, I'm assuming, several if you're playing with more days per season, could you make up the difference? If I play with three day seasons I only get one full cut of grass. Six day seasons is two full cuts. I've never played with more days than that, but if you get another full cut each time you increase the number of days per season, there has to be a break-even point. You'll only ever get one corn harvest no matter how many days your seasons are. Some food for thought.

If you're not using Seasons, then, yes, corn is the way to go.
Playing on PC
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Corn is better for bunker silage, grass is good if you are doing a little bit of silage because you can make bale silage
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
lefe1

Post by lefe1 »

I allways use grass just because all I need is a cheap mower and a cheap loading wagon. on TVTOF I combined fields 63 and 92 into grass and field 91 that is already grass and in one cutting had just a little less than 500,000l of grass for silage. allso have it set to 3day seasons. in the 2nd cutting for the year I have a total of 990,285l of silage. So I say grass does pretty good for me.

SimulatedSphere

Post by SimulatedSphere »

My goal is to fill a silo but I struggle.
XBOX ONE S ( I don't have limited power :biggrin2: )| FS17 | UK
Just waiting for FS19!
I play with as much realism as possible :wink3:
XBOX ONE S ¦ On Estancia / Sussex Farm / Oakfield |FS13 , FS15 , FS17
Thank you to all modders out there , the game would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Thank you to Giants as my Xbox would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
empato

Post by empato »

By the way. It makes no difference if you play with 3,6,9 or more days per season. The growth speed is adjusted per season length. You can make 4 grass cuts per year if you do it on first harvestable stage, or two cuts if you wait until it`s fully grown.
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

empato wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:59 am By the way. It makes no difference if you play with 3,6,9 or more days per season. The growth speed is adjusted per season length. You can make 4 grass cuts per year if you do it on first harvestable stage, or two cuts if you wait until it`s fully grown.
My experience disagrees. On three day Seasons I have never gotten more than one FULL cut. On six days I always get two full cuts. By full cuts, I mean harvesting on the last (dark orange) harvestable stage. I have not tried longer Season.
Playing on PC
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

That's odd, growth stages are supposed to happen at transitions, so the length of season shouldn't affect it.
You didn't happen to change geo mods around the same time you changed season length, did you?
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
lefe1

Post by lefe1 »

Yeah I been playing on 3 day setting since seasons came out and I allways get 2 cuttings in 1 years. So you are doing something to only get one cutting. I only have seasons and no GEO's if that would make any difference?
empato

Post by empato »

I get (mostly) 4 partial cuts and I`m playing with Seasons 3 day setting. Sometimes if weather is bad only 3.

viewtopic.php?f=895&t=112321&p=884855&hilit=cut#p884855
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Grass doesn't need to be replanted, doesn't need as much fertilizer, can harvest multiple times per year, and can be made with a bunker or a baler. If you're renting a forage harvester, it'll cost less to harvest grass silage if you rake it up in large windrows (12 mph vs 6 mph).

Corn yields more per hectare but only once a year and is more labor intensive.

Wow, I never even thought about it really. Why the heck am I growing corn for silage? I'm going to combine that stuff and feed it to pigs from now on. Going to be selling grass-fed milk.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Thefisherj

Post by Thefisherj »

I tend to use grass as I like baling it for easier feeding