Faster way to process hardwood trees?

DirectCedar

Faster way to process hardwood trees?

Post by DirectCedar »

What does everyone do to delimb and collect hardwood trees? I have been doing everything by hand with the chainsaw and skidding them with the tractor to the pond. The skidding part is fine but delimbing and bucking the hardwoods by hand is a huge pain. Pines are pretty straightforward by hand and you can make pretty good time but the hardwoods take forever.
FarmerJimbob

Re: Faster way to process hardwood trees?

Post by FarmerJimbob »

I've got to the point where if I'm clearing the trees to extend fields I just take the stump grinder to them and forego the income they could provide, it just takes too much time on your own and I don't find logging/chipping particularly enjoyable. There's no fast fix to it other than getting friends to help out but then there can be synch issues (console).
empato

Post by empato »

I start forestry only when I have enough money on hand to buy the Scorpion and a wood autoload trailer.

With this combination it makes a lot of fun to cut down trees and you can do it really fast.
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

I believe DirectCedar is talking about trees which can't be cut with the harvester. There are some maps with these trees planted around/between fields so if you want to expand the field you have to cut them down.
To the OP, I chip just about everything that isn't straight, the logs don't sell for much anyway, and it's just more work cutting them into saleable chunks.
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Wait for the BsM chipper. It will chew down an entire tree.
PS5 / FS22
empato

Post by empato »

If I only want to get rid of some trees which are in the way, the new Rabaud tool of BSM is really great. I simply delete the trees completely.
SimulatedSphere

Post by SimulatedSphere »

^^ Even the hardwood ones ( talking to Rodha )
XBOX ONE S ( I don't have limited power :biggrin2: )| FS17 | UK
Just waiting for FS19!
I play with as much realism as possible :wink3:
XBOX ONE S ¦ On Estancia / Sussex Farm / Oakfield |FS13 , FS15 , FS17
Thank you to all modders out there , the game would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Thank you to Giants as my Xbox would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Logger 34

Post by Logger 34 »

I cut the tree down cut the three limbs and top it where all the branches is push the log out of the way with the new stump grinder then go to the top turn on the stump grinder and delete the whole top and grind the stump I'm getting 4 thousand dollars a log in cutting it down with a chainsaw and the three limbs I will put a video on how I do it if that helps any I've been skidding 3 at a time by the time you get rid of the top you have a pretty decent log in can get two bunk loades on the bio belts log trailer 5 logs per bunk makes a pretty nice load it will put a video on hear soon of how I do it if it wasn't for the new stump grinder by black sheep modding I wouldn't mess with them in do delet the twisted up trees
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

SimulatedSphere wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:41 am^^ Even the hardwood ones ( talking to Rodha )
I assume the "hardwood" deifinition is used for the oddly shaped usually white nerve wrecking stupid trees :biggrin2:
Nevetheless it obliterates anything that is registered as a tree :biggrin2: You should watch BsM's videos on that chipper.
So satisfiying to see those trees eaten up alive :mrgreen:
PS5 / FS22
Logger 34

Post by Logger 34 »

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiZLgUZuEq3AgiPXujjEpMlp9F8G is it theas trees

I agree on them twisted up trees the bsm wood chipper will be nice for those trees they will make some fast woodchips though lol

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiZLgUZuEq3AgiQPlyZB64NGhpAf hears how I cut the hardwood trees

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiZLgUZuEq3AgiKJYnE7zaoXk5Rv and hears how I load them I didn't get a full load thou
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

RODHA wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 am Wait for the BsM chipper. It will chew down an entire tree.
Yes, that will be THE chipper :lol:
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

You can't wait to use it right? :lol: :lol:
PS5 / FS22
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

^^Nope, I cant wait. Shoving whole trees in there will be epic
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Rynoman

Post by Rynoman »

On the Westbridge map Xbox 360 i've been using the JCB loader and log clam grapple and just hauling the hardwood trees over to the sawmill. It takes a while but I find it beats trying to chip the big old twisted trees. I have tried chipping them but it's a pain to try and get the crooked wood to feed into the chipper. On the really tall ones they have to be cut into more manageable pieces.

The only time I mess with the hardwoods is when they are between 2 fields that I want to join together to make a super field.
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

I only cut down trees to clear fields or enlarge / combine fields.

If I'm close to the saw mill, I cut them down, grab them with at least a 250HP tractor, grappler on the back and 2700lb weight with the weight extender. I pick them up whole and drive to the saw mill and drop them whole.

You lose income when done in whole, but you make that up in speed and dropping more trees or clearing the land faster.

I do the same with the pines as well, I don't use the trailers to haul trees to the mill unless I'm really far away, it's really fast grabbing a single tree and running it to the mill.

If the saw mill is really far away or the roads won't support the width of the trees without getting hung up, then I take them to an unused side of the map near me and dump in a long row against the map edge. However I will start using the new grinders for this scenario from now on.