Does the wheel setup really matter?

Hawke67

Does the wheel setup really matter?

Post by Hawke67 »

Whell, the title say it all, does it matter what wheel setup we choose or is it all just cosmetic? Is there any difference at all between crawler tracks and wheel wheights or twin wheels? If there is a difference, what should i choose for maximum traction and when and why should I choose anything else (crop wheels excluded as their use is pretty obvious).

Btw, I did do a search and didnt find any similar question with attatched answer.

Cheers Fellow digital farmers.
Tom
Mobias

Re: Does the wheel setup really matter?

Post by Mobias »

If you're playing on console then no it doesn't make any difference, its purely cosmetic. If you're playing on PC with the MR mod enabled then I think it does.
stevoxsi

Post by stevoxsi »

Did the last update not make it make a difference even on console? Sure I saw something in the patch notes.

Edit: copied from changelog: [FIXED] Increased friction for wide tires (1.5.1)
Fs11-15 on pc. Fs17 & 19 on xb1.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

Ah ok. Maybe they've changed it. I don't think it makes a huge difference though.
lefe1

Post by lefe1 »

Oh yes it makes a big difference on console just like I bought the Massey Ferguson 20D with the road tires put a plow on the back and all it does is spin it's tires in the dirt and goes like 1 mph. then I put wide tires on it with same plow and didn't have any problems. so yes tires make a big difference on consoles and 2wd verses 4wd makes a big difference too.
Farmer216

Post by Farmer216 »

I notice less wheelspin while pulling plow if I have wide tires.
I play on Xbox3 (Which they called the "One" for some reason)
Addicted to Farm Sim since: 6-26-2k17
FS17@ 5,336hrs ~ FS19@ 3377hrs (updated 2.18.21)
JCBman21

Post by JCBman21 »

With the ground response mod it does matter but without ground response it is purely cosmetic at least on console that's the case
Playing on PS4
Hawke67

Post by Hawke67 »

How about crawler tracks then. Im on pc btw, using both ground response and more realistic.

Cheers
Tom
jenna_q

Post by jenna_q »

The wheel weights also help a lot if you have a tractor with a set of arms on them. Most of the time you won't need a weight on the back of the tractor then.
"In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity." Sun Tzu, The Art of War
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

^^Good idea, now I'll do that if I ever run a loader on a tractor
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
jenna_q

Post by jenna_q »

It's good early game if you need it. Most times you won't have a telehandler/front loader and only have a tractor. The wheel weights do help a lot but I have found that they are just a little light if you are moving 4 bales at a time, if you hit the brakes the tractor does nose stand a bit.
"In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity." Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Post by Stegei »

Crawlers have slightly more grip on the field as the regular mud tires (~5% more). And while the ground is wet, the difference is even bigger (~11% more).
IseOlen

Post by IseOlen »

Stegei wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:55 am Crawlers have slightly more grip on the field as the regular mud tires (~5% more). And while the ground is wet, the difference is even bigger (~11% more).
How about narrow vs regular vs wide vs double tires on tractors?
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Post by Stegei »

Wider tires have slightly more grip than the narrower one, but they all share the same characteristics on the different ground types and wetness levels.

If you have the 4Real Crop Destruction mod activated, narrow tires won't destroy the crops (so are perfect for spraying.)
Treeguy1857

Post by Treeguy1857 »

Late winter/early spring when the ground is saturated due to the melting snow and spring rains, anytime I get a chance to get into the fields I take it. So due to the wetness of the ground, and having to plow, cultivate, I have been using the tracks and I have noticed a difference from regular and wide tires. No slipping even going at an incline. So I would go with the tracks if you know the fields are wet. My opinion.