Pigs Profitable in Seasons mode?

FarmerJimbob

Pigs Profitable in Seasons mode?

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Are pigs profitable when using seasons? In my vanilla GCV farm I calculated that keeping around 210 pigs would allow me to sell an ArtMechanic mod trailer of pigs every night for around a $40k income (on hard). Given that only requires a day of feed and that I could turn over the fields every day that was certainly profitable. I've seen some figures for pig feed consumption in seasons and for the same number of pigs I had in GCV it looks like they would need to reproduce at least 100% in a year to break even. How many season transitions do pigs reproduce for? It would also require about 50% of my total land on Woodshire (I own all fields) to keep them fed.
deddycantshoot

Re: Pigs Profitable in Seasons mode?

Post by deddycantshoot »

Im carrying a 200 head breeding herd on tvotof,and just to be honest im not sure if there making any money or not.i dont really think so .But the pig farm on there is fun and my sheep and cows and everything else makes a ton ,so i havent crunched the numbers on the pigs.
IseOlen

Post by IseOlen »

Started a year with 100pigs. Got to 150 in one year while pigs had everything (food+water+cleaning).
Based on the amount of work needed - cows and sheep are way better.
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

In another thread on seasons the modders are said to be looking to retool pigs soon. At the moment it looks like its not a profitable business based on the input costs of crops. If you Google pig profitability fs17 you'll find a well laid out reddit post about the details.
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Corstaad wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:26 pm If you Google pig profitability fs17 you'll find a well laid out reddit post about the details.
Thanks, I'd previously visited the reddit post for the base game but hadn't searched again for seasons and the posts are a bit TLDR so I thought I'd be able to get the short answer here. Seems its very much as I thought, no they are not profitable. I quite like having them on my farms tho and I've largely set the Woodshire farm up to support them so I'll probably get them anyway and hope that an update makes them profitable at some point.
Nigelbilt

Post by Nigelbilt »

Saying pigs are not profitable is misleading. You will make a profit but the profit you make may not be as big as you expect or feel you deserve for the “effort” of upkeep.
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Nigelbilt wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:03 pm Saying pigs are not profitable is misleading. You will make a profit but the profit you make may not be as big as you expect or feel you deserve for the “effort” of upkeep.
You're in an especially pedantic mood today aren't you?

How about: for the numbers I have crunched I would lose money keeping 200 pigs on seasons (normal difficulty) compared to what I could earn from selling the crops that they would consume. That to me is not profitable and is irrespective of what I feel I deserve for the "effort" of upkeep. Its not even a close contest.
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

The reddit post in detail explains why it isn't profitable in seasons. The math doesn't add up because crops have a alternative sell price if you just dump it in a elevator.
Nigelbilt

Post by Nigelbilt »

FarmerJimbob wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:48 pm
Nigelbilt wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:03 pm Saying pigs are not profitable is misleading. You will make a profit but the profit you make may not be as big as you expect or feel you deserve for the “effort” of upkeep.
You're in an especially pedantic mood today aren't you?

How about: for the numbers I have crunched I would lose money keeping 200 pigs on seasons (normal difficulty) compared to what I could earn from selling the crops that they would consume. That to me is not profitable and is irrespective of what I feel I deserve for the "effort" of upkeep. Its not even a close contest.
Simmer down tiger. It’s not like there is no chance you just did bad math. You are now comparing selling root crops and such straight up instead of strictly pig upkeep.

You will earn more money than you spend keeping pigs. Hence a profit. Hence pigs are in fact profitable. But you will make MORE of a profit if you sell the crops straight up instead of owning pigs at all. Both examples are profits and profitable, one is just MORE profitable.

So once again, saying you will not make a profit with pigs is misleading. That was suppose to be a nice way of saying the are straight up incorrect.
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

So you think its "profitable" to take a resource that has set value then make it have less value? Did you ever consider opportunity costs of time in making it have less value?
Nigelbilt

Post by Nigelbilt »

I did, hence the last sentence of my first post. Seeing as “time” has no set value in this video game, it is quite subjective what “time” is worth.
danjs84

Post by danjs84 »

Ive never found pigs worth the time on any mode . I just hope on FS19 there actual farming where you buy a piglet,lamb or calf and fatten to sell as meat . where im at i can buy weaner pig $80-$95 sell at $250-$300 . it does my head in that livestock that is bred in fs17 is worth less than the stock its bred from
Xbox one *thumbsup*
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Nigelbilt wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:38 pm Simmer down tiger. It’s not like there is no chance you just did bad math. You are now comparing selling root crops and such straight up instead of strictly pig upkeep.

You will earn more money than you spend keeping pigs. Hence a profit. Hence pigs are in fact profitable. But you will make MORE of a profit if you sell the crops straight up instead of owning pigs at all. Both examples are profits and profitable, one is just MORE profitable.

So once again, saying you will not make a profit with pigs is misleading. That was suppose to be a nice way of saying the are straight up incorrect.
I clarified my statement of profitability (maybe for the pedants I should have said viability) and you’re still picking the same holes like a broken record. I haven’t changed my comparison at all as you’ve wrongly suggested, I’ve been working on the same basis throughout.

Nothing wrong with my maths, right back at you with it’s not like you are ever wrong about anything is it? On the one hand you’re arguing one view is simplistic but your own argument ignores a number of important factors and you don’t back up your point of view with any solid foundation (as usual). If you are going to question my intelligence at least have the courtesy to quote the figures that demonstrate pigs make a profit in seasons (without using the pig food silo mod).

The intention of this thread was to discover whether anybody had found a sweet spot of number of pigs to make a decent level of profit without it taking the whole farm to support them.
Nigelbilt

Post by Nigelbilt »

You need to bringer down about 40% there bud and try to have an actual conversation without freaking out. What is your point? You cannot make a profit from pigs? (Which is objectively false, reallogger confirms this as does basic arithmetic) or you make more profit doing other things besides pigs?