FS19 Virtual Reality

Nigelbilt

Re: FS19 Virtual Reality

Post by Nigelbilt »

Microsoft is going with augmented reality with the Hololens or whatever it’s called.
PandaCheese

Post by PandaCheese »

The hardware just isn’t there to support VR comparable in visual fidelity to 2D yet, so after the wow factor wears off your headset gathers dust. I’ll say that the first time you try a built-for-VR cockpit sim it’s pretty mind blowing.
farmer giless

Post by farmer giless »

I agree it hasn't developed as fast as first thought but VR is here to stay. They are still in the baby step stage but games such as FS should be taking it more seriously to be honest, I mean it is a simulator and VR only enhances that just like flight sims and racing sims. I would rather put my headset on and farm to give it more realism than just watching a screen and I'm sure if others had a headset they'd say the same thing.

They dropped the prices of the headset to get more people into them, I do agree there is not many games at the moment that takes full advantage of VR which is unfortunate. The main problem is space, until they figure out how to move around without needing a full room then it will not go far. Teleporting in all directions is ok to a point but it's going to need more than that to develop it further.

I still think FS is a game that should have the option to use it though, I'm just surprised they haven't added it already. Someone mentioned in a post that if they don't do it someone else will, hit the nail on the head and absolutely right.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Is it going to sell? How is giants going to afford this? VR isnt easy implementing into the whole thing
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Agreed, I can't see Giants betting the farm (sorry!) on VR sadly - they have no need to take that gamble at this time as there aren't enough potential users. I was especially impressed when I played the Battlefront demo as that was on the older game so developed right in the early days of VR in its current guise. But then that is an EA title. No doubt if we do see VR farming it will be from one of the powerhouses who will rush develop the farming simulation aspect and the whole thing will be a massive disappointment. I live in hope though...
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

Even Sony’s flagship driving sim Gran Turismo currently only offers a limited VR mode
markare

Post by markare »

Forget what game I read about but basically the designers and developers said they aren't going near VR and would be surprised if there e are very main games released within the next 3-4 years that are fully vr ready as it takes too long to develop it in vr for such a small market its not financially viable and they need to do 2 different versions as they couldn't run vr with the normal game. If big studios don't want to touch vr gaming then I woukd be very surprised if giants attempt it. Best bet for the vr experience for now would be using track ir on PC and hoping someone somewhere does a mod to allow vr to be used but if that's the road that's taken then I doubt it will make it to console
:hi:
Scottish farming with all the n00bery
Xb1
Sometimes stream, depends how I feel
http://aatg.freeforums.net/ work in progress
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Patrick73 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:43 pm Even Sony’s flagship driving sim Gran Turismo currently only offers a limited VR mode
From what I’ve heard/read, everything is limited in that game.
MrBitsyGamer

Post by MrBitsyGamer »

FordFarmer97 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:47 am What's so great about VR?
I will not race in any simulator without VR now. The sense of being in a real world is fantastic. Rather than looking in a virtual mirror, or using three screens, just turning the head to get a 360 degree view of the 3d world. Travelling close to the car ahead at 180mph braking for a corner is just plain scary!

Farming simulator would be fantastic in VR. Sitting in a life like scale cab, turning the head to see into mirrors or look behind and a lifelike 3d view of the world. The headset on to Oculus rift has amazing sound quality with bass that would put gaming headsets to shame. Once you have used a simulator in VR you cant go back.
MrBitsyGamer

Post by MrBitsyGamer »

markare wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:54 pm Forget what game I read about but basically the designers and developers said they aren't going near VR and would be surprised if there e are very main games released within the next 3-4 years that are fully vr ready as it takes too long to develop it in vr for such a small market its not financially viable and they need to do 2 different versions as they couldn't run vr with the normal game. If big studios don't want to touch vr gaming then I woukd be very surprised if giants attempt it. Best bet for the vr experience for now would be using track ir on PC and hoping someone somewhere does a mod to allow vr to be used but if that's the road that's taken then I doubt it will make it to console
Every racing simulator on the PC works in VR. Raceroom or RFactor 2 have low sales numbers but the VR is fantastic.
MrBitsyGamer

Post by MrBitsyGamer »

PandaCheese wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:39 pm The hardware just isn’t there to support VR comparable in visual fidelity to 2D yet, so after the wow factor wears off your headset gathers dust. I’ll say that the first time you try a built-for-VR cockpit sim it’s pretty mind blowing.
I have used VR for racing games now for a year. All VR headsets have a 'screen door' effect because your eyes are close to the screen, but the immersion soon means that is not a problem.
MrBitsyGamer

Post by MrBitsyGamer »

Patrick73 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:18 am
eric21 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:46 am And its expensive
It’s an expensive gimmick at the moment, it’s been out for over a year with many titles only offering bonus vr content
Nope, not a gimmick, it is fantastic. Simulators are perfect for VR. XPlane 11 in VR is just incredible with the latest Satelite imagery - look out the side of the cockpit towards the ground and your belly will react!

I play Assetto Corsa, RFactor 2, Raceroom Experience and iRacing racing sims and they all have VR. Once you have raced in VR, flat screens just don't cut it. Farming simulator would be perfect for VR.
masseyharris

Post by masseyharris »

Patrick73 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:55 pm I feel a bit guilty as it was an xmas present off the wife and all I still play is FS17, I’m gonna give it a year then if nothing worthwhile comes out I’ll put it on eBay just before xmas. One thing that hasn’t helped is Xbox not doing VR
Have you tried vorpx? FS17 is listed as working in vr with that.
livesea72

Post by livesea72 »

Giants stated it would be a drain on resources better spent elsewhere for a limited player base that could use it. They didn't rule it out just wasn't worth the effort atm.
FS13 xbox360/ FS15 ps4/xbox one/ FS17 xbox one/ps4pro platinum trophy /FS19 ps4pro platinum trophy/ FS 22 PC
masseyharris

Post by masseyharris »

I've just recently bought an Oculus Rift. I will continue to play FS17 on my normal monitor, as vorpx doesn't really show what vr can really be like (although I will try messing round with it a bit more to hopefully get it working at a playable level).

But for many other games, I am absolutely blown away in vr - rfactor2, Project Cars2, Elite Dangerous, Dirt Rally - I am astounded to find myself completely IN the game for the first time ever. I am actually INSIDE the car or spacecraft, and the whole world is life size around me - it is just not possible to describe the enormous difference between monitor view and virtual reality.
Yes, the resolution is not as high as a monitor, and one day, when it is, it will be unmatchable to play any other way; but even with the current resolution, (which is still more than acceptable), the atmosphere and sensation of being INSIDE the game just cannot be matched.

And there are many other titles already plus new ones appearing - Brookhaven experiment, Subnautica, the Wizards, Alien Isolation, Skyrim VR, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas & more.

So yes, I will still play Farming Sim on my monitor, but I really wish I could sit in my tractor cab and go farming in virtual reality.

EDIT actually what I said was a bit unfair on vorpx - although it can't match native vr games, I just spent half an hour trying it again and it really is playable. I am tweaking a few settings and I just might be able to resume my farming in vr soon (this is FS17 I'm talking about btw, but I think it should apply equally to FS19).