Will FS19 have Multi-core/MultiThread support.

fcdrifter13

Will FS19 have Multi-core/MultiThread support.

Post by fcdrifter13 »

Thread title is kind of the discussion. I love this game but I think if they dont have a move along these lines it will be a huge blow especially to those of us that do content creation and play the game because as it currently stands it puts a ton of pressure on one of my core but none of the others and my GPU is only working at 20ish % with all of the graphics maxed out.
Survival Start of The Calm Lands. Currently have built homes for our workers, so we actually get workers.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... H-DmlmlDQT
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Re: Will FS19 have Multi-core/MultiThread support.

Post by bassaddict »

There was already multicore support in FS11. Even have a screenshot as prove at home.

I guess what you mean if there will be support for a better distribution of the load on multiple cores.
Well, that's not all as simple as it might sound to others. You simply can't parallelize every task. And for those you can, you have some management overhead to put the final result computed on the multiple cores/threads together to one final result. The amount of overhead depends on the exact task. And in some cases, it doesn't make any sense, because the overhead would be so much, that the result doesn't justify the amount of time required to implement.

So short answer: The engine will be improved, but most likely not as much as you would want to see.
For a more detailed answer, you'd have to ask one of our engine programmers. They know way more about that stuff than me :)
IseOlen

Post by IseOlen »

bassaddict wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:31 am For a more detailed answer, you'd have to ask one of our engine programmers. They know way more about that stuff than me :)
Wouldn't mind some sort of blog/article about the challenges in making FS more multithreaded (Y)
I have a 3-year old i7-based system and FS usually takes about 15% CPU time - just a bit over 1 full core.
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

Why? The game engine already does what it needs to do, so what benefit are you seeking?

Generally speaking, a higher clock speed is far more useful than another core to games. The biggest benefit of multiple cores when gaming on a PC is that all of the other (not game related) processes running can do so without interrupting the game as often.

Making the game effectively use multiple cores isn’t as easy as one might think. In fact, save for some pretty specific types of applications, most of what you do with a computer isn’t inherently well-suited to multiple cores or threads. As already indicated, with most applications (including typical games), the difficulty in structuring the application to utilize multiple processors or threads, while also ensuring that the right “steps” are done at the right time and in the right order, often becomes more of a detriment than an improvement.