Best joystick for the game?

BreadedVirus

Best joystick for the game?

Post by BreadedVirus »

Looking to add a joystick to my PC setup. Wondering what are good joysticks out on the market that work well with FS?

Advice appreciated.
the big print giveth the small print taketh
parad0x177

Re: Best joystick for the game?

Post by parad0x177 »

I have the Saitek Heavy Equipment set and generally like it a lot, though I wish the construction was better for the price.

That said, Thrustmaster has an interesting dual stick set that I think might be very cool if you do a lot of logging or use the Blacksheep excavator pack: http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/produ ... ce-sim-duo
W1der

Post by W1der »

The new version of the Thrustmaster T.16000M is a really nice priced Joystick (for what you get) with High Resolution (very accurate).

Do you also have a steering wheel to go with the Joystick?
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

I use the MadCatz V.1 stick
https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Catz-V-1-Sti ... B001MGNWDI

I'm not sure if it's the best but it's very affordable and has to be in the running for best value. I use it for all driving controls and about half the equipment functions. There are enough buttons on it that you could probably program them to do most or all of the equipment functions - I just haven't gotten around to it :lol: In combination with the keyboard it is a very fun and easy setup imo and it is very seldom that I use the mouse in regular gameplay.

I've drooled over the big Saitek wheel and console setup but it's half again the cost of my whole computer and takes up the whole desk... plus I'm not sure I would find the change to a wheel a very big improvement after getting pretty good at driving everything by stick.
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

W1der wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:13 pm The new version of the Thrustmaster T.16000M is a really nice priced Joystick (for what you get) with High Resolution (very accurate).

If you meant me, yes, I also have the matching Saitek wheel. (I say Saitek because I bought mine before the Logitech takeover.) Construction is similar to the side panel (obviously), but may be a bit more “sturdy”, than the side panel. (I’ve had to repair wires to the stick z-axis pot, but no repairs to the wheel yet.) I like the more upright design which (I think) does a better job of mimicking the orientation you experience in trucks, tractors, and other heavy equipment. I think this lends itself better to the frequent, exaggerated steering required to maneuver tractors and other large vehicles.

That said, though, I have recently picked up a Thrustmaster TX servo, TH8A shifter, and T3PA pedal set, with the intention of building a simulator “cockpit” of sorts, and the quality is on a completely different level. So, I may add one or two of those joysticks to the mix eventually. (That typically translates to when/if I find a good sale!). Then, I’ll probably let my son use the Saitek set.
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

W1der wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:13 pm The new version of the Thrustmaster T.16000M is a really nice priced Joystick (for what you get) with High Resolution (very accurate).

I use the T150 along with the THA8 Shifter and T3PA Pro Pedals. A joystick would be a great addition to my farming.

Was looking at the suggested T.6000M. Very nice piece of equipment.
W1der

Post by W1der »

Go get it!

Tip of the day ...
I have mapped the joystick with the trigger button pressed for all the "looking around" ... which made all the "panning" super smooth and very convenient.
It doesnt take long before using the joystick for this becomes "second nature".
The trigger button in combination with the 3 buttons on top of the joystick is also for zoom in and out and camera selection.
The button closest to the thumb (without trigger button pressed) naturally became the "X" function (mainly as I am in to forestry and use it a lot).
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

W1der wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:08 pm Go get it!

Tip of the day ...
I have mapped the joystick with the trigger button pressed for all the "looking around" ... which made all the "panning" super smooth and very convenient.
It doesnt take long before using the joystick for this becomes "second nature".
The trigger button in combination with the 3 buttons on top of the joystick is also for zoom in and out and camera selection.
The button closest to the thumb (without trigger button pressed) naturally became the "X" function (mainly as I am in to forestry and use it a lot).
This is the one you're on about right?

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQEDEEW/re ... bw_c_x_2_w
W1der

Post by W1der »

Yes, I own the bundle with the "Throttle piece" ... but I also use it for flight sim.
This joystick can be rebuilt for "leftie" ... !
I would rather buy 2 joysticks for FS (if you are in to forestry) ... ;)
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

W1der wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:26 pm Yes, I own the bundle with the "Throttle piece" ... but I also use it for flight sim.
This joystick can be rebuilt for "leftie" ... !
I would rather buy 2 joysticks for FS (if you are in to forestry) ... ;)
There is a package with two of them included, but it appears it might be quite a bit cheaper to simply buy two and reconfigure one of them. Go figure. :hmm:

What do you think of the throttle quadrant? I like to fly, too, and it looks pretty cool. The switchology and shape are a little reminiscent of the F-15 throttle quadrant (which I have some experience with), so that’s appealing. But, I wonder if not having two throttle levers would bother me.

Oh, it did occurr to me that the throttle might be useful if they ever implemented a hand throttle in FS... :biggrin2:
W1der

Post by W1der »

The throttle has a small joystick to use with your index finger and a lot of buttons.
At first I used this as a dual joystick (for cranes) but then I tried it with a larger joystick on the left hand and the difference was huge ... I am using the "Logitech Side Panel" for left hand.

The throttle is OK with adjustable resistance ... never really used anything else similar so I wouldnt know how it compares.