If seasons are on FS 19

GothicKing13

Re: If seasons are on FS 19

Post by GothicKing13 »

Yes, I agree on those 4Real Modules. We know, that Crop Destruction is in. I use all 3 of them in FS17. Well, usually I will enable Ground Response and Tire Dirt and leave Crop Destruction out. I love the realistic aspect of it. But, I've stumbled across a few tractors that even with "care" wheels will still destroy the crops and when they do, it always destroys so much. Will definitely give it another shot once 19 comes, since they've reworked it so much.
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

BigC92 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:07 am The only thing about seasons i dont like is, you plant fertilize and harvest every field, then what? Forestry, well you run otta trees, then what? Im not gonnq buy a boat load of trees.
I don't do forestry. I take care of my animals, bale hay, make silage, skip a day or two and the cycle repeats. Gives me a break to tidy up the farm, wash equipment, sell crops, etc...
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

The problem with the seasons mod is... IMO... its ahead of the game that it's written for. What the seasons mod doesn't take into account is that the game doesn't offer much to do per season. Without the seasons mod we can do whatever we want whenever we want. That makes the options seem like quite the list. Divide that list into 4 seasons and suddenly it's winter and you can't mow grass, or plant wheat. Or it's summer and the potatoes won't be ready to harvest till fall, etc.

With the seasons mod... suddenly we have very little to do at any given time because of seasonal limitations.

As BigC92 pointed out, once you get your fields done, then what??? You cut down trees. That's it. Just trees. Trees don't last long on my maps.

I've tried the seasons mod nearly a dozen times trying to give it a chance, and workout my gameplay to have it all confortable for me. But each time I found myself staring at the screen with very little to do but wait for the next season to show up so i'll have something to do again.

I'm not blaming the seasons mod. Or the game either for that matter. I just don't think that the 2 ideas are doing all that well currently to complement each other.

Overall, this might be one of the reasons why the seasons mod isn't liked by everyone. I myself don't want to click the play button just to be left starring at the screen waiting for gameplay to show up. Nor do I want to be continuously fast forwarding through the seasons just to finally get that gameplay.

..... Just saying.
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

True that, you are given very limited things to do at any given moment. Unless you have all the biggest fields, working with every crop available in the GEO that you're running... a couple hundred animals, tons of grass for hay and tons of corn fields for silage. Then, then it balances it out. But, off the get go when starting out. Your 1st few years are dull and boring.
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
Rahkiin
Former GIANTS employee

Post by Rahkiin »

When you play with Seasons you need to plan your game differently. This is quite known. In summer you can do grass/animals as well. If you never play at 1x or even 5x, then time will fly by especially when you have more fields and more animals to take care of. It also helps to not let everything be done by helpers, for example. It is a choice.

It is different than the basegame, but it also is not for everybody. It is a mod.
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

Rahkiin wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:58 pm When you play with Seasons you need to plan your game differently. This is quite known. In summer you can do grass/animals as well. If you never play at 1x or even 5x, then time will fly by especially when you have more fields and more animals to take care of. It also helps to not let everything be done by helpers, for example. It is a choice.

It is different than the basegame, but it also is not for everybody. It is a mod.
Yes, and I would like to see the seasons mod be more aware of the game that the mod is written for. For example. FS doesn't have seasonal activities for us to do. FS during the winter is like a fish out of water.

If you take away, or manipulate our ability to work with the vegetation.... what do we have left? The answer is... very, very little.
Last edited by muzickmage on Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rahkiin
Former GIANTS employee

Post by Rahkiin »

We know. You can do forestry during winter. In real life, arable farmers take a holiday in the winter. You still need to care for your animals.

If we could have added more activities for the winter, we likely would have. But we didn't.
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

Rahkiin wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:09 pm We know. You can do forestry during winter. In real life, arable farmers take a holiday in the winter. You still need to care for your animals.

If we could have added more activities for the winter, we likely would have. But we didn't.
I've suggested a while back that the greenhouses should have a bigger role in the game, plus the addition of an orchard would be great too.

Both ideas would maybe greatly help when considering the seasons mod.

But the "if this then that" thinking isn't doing much for us today lol.
empato

Post by empato »

I think it depends also on the map you are playing on. I always play on maps which includes some production lines. I play with 3-6 days per season and on 5x speed. Sometimes it`s really difficult to finish all necessary work during a season. I never get bored or I never have nothing to do.
In winter I take care for the factories, fill them with crops, sell pallets, repair vehicles. Everything for which I don`t have enough time during planting / harvesting seasons.
I tried to start a map without seasons, but I really don`t like the vanilla growth anymore.
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

Rahkiin wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:58 pm When you play with Seasons you need to plan your game differently. This is quite known. In summer you can do grass/animals as well. If you never play at 1x or even 5x, then time will fly by especially when you have more fields and more animals to take care of. It also helps to not let everything be done by helpers, for example. It is a choice.

Yes! This is why I love Seasons. I never hire workers, I love doing the work myself. Well, never say never... let me rephrase. When running seasons, I only ever hire workers to run the combines. In which, I play chaser and also cart the grain, etc... to the silos. I like playing 9 Day Length @ x5 Speed. But, when 1st starting out a new save I run 3 Day Lengths at x5 Speed until early evening and then flip to x1 speed to help me get done since it's 1 day intervals. This helps cut out some of the wait time, and lowers the drag of nothing to do with only having 3 Fields, No Animals and No Forestry Equipment. But, once I get stuff going. I'll flip it back to 9 Day and run non-stop @ x5. Between Field Work, Animals and Forestry. I never run out of things to do. I also get about 6 "small" fields, or create 6 small ones myself and plant trees. I use fields, because it helps me narrow it down and keep it even. Plant all 6. After they are fully grown. Say, this winter I cut down F1, grind the stumps away, and then... through the next year when field work is done and animals are taken care of I will replant the trees. Then next winter, repeat process with F2. You never run out of trees. ^__^
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

One possible solution to the problem on nothing to do in Seasons would be the ablility to skip to the end of a season or transition period. This would allow you to do everything you need to do in a given transition period and then jump to the next one if you desire.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

muzickmage wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:31 pm I'm not blaming the seasons mod. Or the game either for that matter. I just don't think that the 2 ideas are doing all that well currently to complement each other.
I play with 6 day seasons on 5x and barely have enough time to get all my work done. I pretty much have equipment going from daylight until midnight or later. I try to match my equipment size to my farm. I've got about 70 or so hours on Lone Oak and the largest equipment I'm using is a 12m corn planter. It takes about a day on 5x to plant all my fields and takes about 2 days to harvest with the 7130 Case. While field work is going on, I'm also making hay and silage, constantly tabbing between vehicles. If my farm gets any larger, I'll have to go to 9 day seasons to keep up. I never had this sense of urgency playing the vanilla game.

The only time I skip whole days will be during the winter and even then I have to make sure my animals are taken care of. If I was playing without animals, I could skip winter entirely. I think a skip day option would be a nice addition. I loathe forestry for the most part so I don't bother with it.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
lefe1

Post by lefe1 »

I guess I play completely different then most players with seasons I guess. I play on normal speed small equipment just base seasons and when I get everything done I speed up to 120X and skip night. Sometimes depends on the field sizes it takes me all day just to do stuff on normal speed with small equipment.. and nope it isn't fast because I have 20 hours on Oberlausitz (Hard) and i'm still on my 1st year(3days settings) and only on the 1st day of Autumn just got done harvesting my wheat. now time to cultivate. then in late autumn and winter I play on 30X sometimes 60X (depends on how much I really want to cut)..and all I have is a chainsaw and pickup and what ever I cut for that day to sell is extra money for me so winters go by pretty fast. I cut from sun up to sun down and skip night. So then in spring time. Do it all over again. also taking care of the cows and sheep I have...I can see if people are using say the bigbud to do things I won't take long to do things so they get bored with seasons.. that's why I like small equipment(classics and all the old MF;s), it takes longer and most of the day to get things done..
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

The two (small) gripes I have with seasons is not being able to harvest sugar beet in winter like we do in the U.K. (certainly up to xmas ) and the start point.id prefer to start with crops ready to harvest.just my opinion though
Geneborg

Post by Geneborg »

Honestly, if you have to "wait" in Seasons you are either not doing something (like forestry in winter), or not enough of it (animals or enough land to tend to).

Also, "fast forward" mod lets you skip the days of waiting, so i never have this problem.
LS nur mit Mods
Qualität statt Quantität