Altenstein Seasons Ready?

Diggity

Altenstein Seasons Ready?

Post by Diggity »

Anyone else playing Altenstein? I thought it was seasons ready but I have been noticing a LOT of missing hay, and grass bales each night! I store them inside of the map buildings (not a mod structure) and in the morning half or more entire stack of bales is gone! Just entered winter and the cows are not going to like hearing this news! :shock:
CrashhawkCE

Re: Altenstein Seasons Ready?

Post by CrashhawkCE »

Update your map. The one on modhub is seasons ready, as far as I can tell. I am currently on it and I store bales just fine.

Edit: I am on XB1 and it is working just fine. The description on the moddhub as seen on computer doesn't really indicate it is or it isn't.
XB1 - Streaming daily on Twitch!
https://twitch.tv/CrashHawkCE

J & M Farms, Illinois
CJ Farms, On the Welsh Marches, Shropshire, UK
Diggity

Post by Diggity »

I started a new map, I guess I'll see how that goes. Going to be a bit before I have any grass or straw to make a bale with! :(
CrashhawkCE

Post by CrashhawkCE »

I would recommend setting the map up for seasons.

Make some hay bales, straw bales and silage because you actually start with animals. If you are on XB1, I stream daily on mixer (CrashHawkCE) and usually on Altenstein. I am about to start harvest and if you need any tips and tricks for the map I'd be happy to help.
XB1 - Streaming daily on Twitch!
https://twitch.tv/CrashHawkCE

J & M Farms, Illinois
CJ Farms, On the Welsh Marches, Shropshire, UK
Guil

Post by Guil »

Grass will always rot where it's stored in a building or not. The only exception is the placeable silos.
Bales won't rot if a map isn't seasons ready.
Diggity

Post by Diggity »

Crash, I'll have to try and watch one of your upcoming streams! I think I understand most of the details pretty well, but I was just noticing the missing grass. Not sure why I hadn't seen it until now. I have already gone through one winter and didn't have a problem. Two things I think, I switched from 9 to 3 day length and I don't recall if I ever started a new map when seasons came out? Going to find out once I get things up and running again.

Guil, I'm not sure you are correct. On their web site they state ... ( I'm not sure how to interpret the very last part of the text? Why would they say keep them inside? But then the thing about the seasons mask? Is that referring back to keeping them outside?

Grass bales will gradually rot and disappear after two days, unless they are wrapped so that they become silage bales. Wrapped bales do not turn into silage immediately, but instead need some time to ferment. It takes one third of a season (1 transition) to fully ferment either a silage bale.

Hay and straw bales exposed to rain will start to rot so keep them inside sheds. These bales will only rot if the map has been prepared with a so called Seasons mask.
Guil

Post by Guil »

It is correct. If a map has no snow mask, aka not seasons ready, then bales won't rot but grass will always rot whether that are inside or not.

Not sure if grass rotting is dependent on the snow mask but hay and straw definitely are and won't rot if they are inside or if there is no snowask on the map.
Diggity

Post by Diggity »

Is there any speculation about why grass bales rot when stored inside? Is there something special about the texture, or programming of the game/seasons, or is this a choice made by Realismus? Doesn't make sense to me that grass would be special/different than hay or straw. Not trying to argue with in the least bit, just trying to understand why, just seems odd in this case.
Soles2023

Post by Soles2023 »

It's works the way it was intended to my Realismus, IRL you couldn't keep wet grass in piles or bales without it starting to ferment into compost/silage.
XB1/PC
Diggity

Post by Diggity »

I guess I'm thinking about it incorrectly then. So, I should just make hay bales instead of grass bales since those will/can replace grass in the cow grass trough right? The problem begins in winter when there won't be any grass to mow/feed. I think this makes sense now, thanks everyone!
Diggity

Post by Diggity »

Although, when you read the animals screen, it says 20% Grass. I'm not positive yet since I'm not sure I ever tried to put a hay bale in the feed trough next to the pasture, so does that work is question one. Then, in the winter, where is the grass going to come from? What confuses me is that below the 20%grass it lists 50% silage or hay. So it seems like hay and grass would NOT be replacements for each other? I think I'm making it more complicated than it should be. ;(
Guil

Post by Guil »

Afaik none of the feed mixers accept grass.
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

During winter you don't need to worry about the grass. If I recall correctly, the milk production is boosted a bit during winter to make up for the lack of grass. IRL grass isn't fed to cattle during the winter, so Seasons reasonably approximates real life practice.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
Diggity

Post by Diggity »

Guil, I'm not putting grass in a mixer. I have typically put grass in the feed trough that is next to the cow pasture on Altenstein.

I think the discussion is helping me understand, thanks guys!
Guil

Post by Guil »

Grass won't be used unless silage runs out and silage won't be used unless power food runs out.