Can someone double check my homework for my new series?

fcdrifter13

Can someone double check my homework for my new series?

Post by fcdrifter13 »

I did all the reading i could do, and as most of you know I am not a farmer, nor have I had any interest in farming until I got this game. I am trying to be realistic with my equipment choices and how I farm on this map. What I had read is that plowing is becoming less and less used, while different types of cultivation is being used more. So I am playing without plowing, and while the game doesnt support different types of cultivation I am doing it anyways to learn some more. I will also be rotating crops as well after every second harvest and using a row crop cultivator and manure to cut in and them a disc and slurry for the second step. Is this correct? I want to do this the correct way and not the game way the best that I can so I have more steps per field. So i would be going onto a wheat or barely crop after every 2 harvests and them back onto a different crop after that. I am also not using any fertilizer on this playthrough as well and will be focusing on animal work in the smaller fields and yield in the larger fields.

Any help on this is welcome. I just want to do things right.

Survival Start of The Calm Lands. Currently have built homes for our workers, so we actually get workers.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... H-DmlmlDQT
fcdrifter13

Re: Can someone double check my homework for my new series?

Post by fcdrifter13 »

I have a ripper that adds the plowing effect as well but it is too big for this letsplay. I thought about finding another one but I may just stick with plowing off.
Survival Start of The Calm Lands. Currently have built homes for our workers, so we actually get workers.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I'm not sure, but I believe where you farm, and what you're farming dictate whether you plow or not. We do organic crops, so artificial fertilizer, or chemicals are not an option. So we plow. As far as your operation goes, do you use A.I. help?
fcdrifter13

Post by fcdrifter13 »

Chad wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:51 pm I'm not sure, but I believe where you farm, and what you're farming dictate whether you plow or not. We do organic crops, so artificial fertilizer, or chemicals are not an option. So we plow. As far as your operation goes, do you use A.I. help?
I am limiting myself to one worker on this map. I wouldnt think I would need more.
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

Where I am from the NRCS and the local soil and water agencies spearhead the restrictions of soil tillage. They are moving away from plowing due to soil erosion runoff. There are plenty of other tillage alternatives that disturb less of the soil that are quite effective. I can say that not any two farmers around me do it the same way.
fcdrifter13

Post by fcdrifter13 »

Ok i don't farm so i was not sure what i was doing right and what i was doing wrong
Gimli54

Post by Gimli54 »

Like people mentioned before no people farm differently for various reasons weather seasons soil composition environmental protection restrictions and more as for the farm I grew up on we alwasy till no cause we don’t plant wheat anymore we use a disc first and depending on weather we run land planes over it to level out the ground then when it comes time to plant we use a cultivator and depending on how many times we’ve land planed it before we sometimes will again before planting we rarely use anything besides solid and liquid fertilizer on our fields