Greedy enhanced chickens

Peter the alien

Greedy enhanced chickens

Post by Peter the alien »

I'm using the enhanced chicken pack, and have 90 chickens. Feeding them, filling their trough, has taken 3003 litres of wheat for 3 days (running 24-day seasons), that's ~10 litres of wheat per chicken per day, or ~96000 litres for the lot per year. It seems rather a lot, also rather expensive. One day will give me ~90 eggs which will sell for around £1000 (I think), but it takes over £700 worth of wheat (more £ for corn, less for barley) to get them. I'm not sure how many acres of grain I'd have to grow to feed them for a year, but I suspect most of my fields for the first year.

Water is free on my current map, thankfully.

That aside, it's a great mod.
--

Peter
redglasses

Re: Greedy enhanced chickens

Post by redglasses »

Cant you just go into the files and edit it so it would be less?
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Peter the alien

I had a quick look but couldn't find where the numbers were coming from.
--

Peter
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

I believe you are looking for the function EnhancedChickens:minuteChanged() in EnhancedChickens.lua in the scripts folder. In particular, look for the "-- Update Troughs" comment.

I'm thinking that the 'factor' variable may be key, but I haven't really read through all the code yet to understand the logic, so I could be wrong.
FarmingRemasterd

Post by FarmingRemasterd »

well... a question i might ask is... Are you making a profit? if you are... then you can expand anc continue but... if you are not.. you might want to try and work some things out on costs because otherwise you are just losing money... no farmer wants to lose money. just giving some tips
Massey Ferguson For Life. If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
Rules for yall...viewtopic.php?f=893&t=74799
Manure is for the fields...not the forum.
Peter the alien

I don't think the mod takes into account the length of a season, the only seasons-related code I can find determines whether chickens die if not fed. Food and water requirements should be adjusted so that the same amount of food is required over a year, regardless of season length. I'll see if I can do something about it.

Edit: I've managed to reduce the consumption as appropriate for the season length, but I've done nothing about the trough capacities, which means that with my 24-day seasons I can fill them with enough food and water for 12 days, nor the production rate. I'll look into the production rate sometime, maybe <grin>, I'm not worried enough about trough capacities to bother fixing them (yes, I'm lazy). It's a quick and dirty fix, just multiplying the calculated foodToUse and waterToUse by [6 / days-in-season] if seasons are active. This is the bit I've added for water - the first line is part of the original code:

Code: Select all

local waterToUse = trough.usagePerDay * chickenCount * factor
							if g_seasons then
								waterToUse = waterToUse * 6 / g_seasons.environment.daysInSeason
							end
And similarly for the food.

No errors in the log, and a quick test showed usage was as expected over a day.
Last edited by Peter the alien on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--

Peter
Peter the alien

FarmingRemasterd wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:53 am well... a question i might ask is... Are you making a profit?
Yes, but it's not so much the money as the sheer volume of food I need to supply. I want to sell some of my crops, not feed it all to the chickens, while at the same time want to have a chance to own a few more chickens. There's also the matter that I might be able to do better with less effort by not keeping chickens, so if the profit isn't up to par with the rest of the game, why bother.
--

Peter