Poll about Horsch DLC

Should GIANTS releash HORSCH DLC mods.as individual pieces?

Poll ended at Thu May 10, 2018 10:51 pm

Yes.
22%
No.
45%
Neutral.
16%
Smaller groups of equipment.
18%

Total votes: 51

RODHA

Re: Poll about Horsch DLC

Post by RODHA »

RogueRooster wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:13 pm
RODHA wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:35 amthey take way too much slots when you buy them.
Little question from a PC/Craptop player ... slots ... I know there's a thread about slot system but it doesn't apply to me so can someone summarise the entire slot thread into a paragraph or even better a sentence as I know nothing about the plight of you poor console players and how it all works. I'm going to be busy tonight, I'm just laying out terrain at the moment but GDN here I come unless I could get a quick easy answer here.
Slot count applies to both consoles and PC. The only difference is as the consoles have a specific hardware configuration it is possible to determine a top limit which is being the slot count on our shop menu.

Slot count is basically the reppresentation of a 3D model taking up space on your RAM.
Even the grains are included to this if I'm not mistaken.

The thing is as PCs can be in zibillion types of different configurations, there is really not much sense to put a slot count on them because you wouldn't know the top limit.
But in PS4 for example, there is only 8GB of RAM which is equal to lets say 3000 slots (just for the sake of the argument).
The map itself and all 3D objects in it take up some of that space. The amount is all depending on the map and the objects used in it.
At the end of the day we start a map in consoles with a limited slot count.
For example on Oakfield it is 600+ something iirc. But in the valley the old farm it is 900+ something.

Then you start buying vehicles, machines, placeables and all those take up some of that slot count.
As you approach to zero, it means you are running out of actual RAM space and like all other softwares the game starts to act weirdly.

There is a trick to it though. Lets say a tractor takes up 16 slots. If you buy a second one of the same tractor it takes only 1 or 2 slots at most.
Because the models are identical the game doesn't need the same amount of space in the RAM to handle it.

So, if your are running a big farm and have a lot of machinery/placeables, buying the same thing instead of different versions helps a lot.
I'm pretty sure PC has that limitation too but it just doesn't show up on your shop menu iirc.

So, if you encounter stuttering or other weird behaviour in your game take this into account.

I might be wrong on some parts of what I'm saying. If I'm wrong please excuse me and feel free to correct me. I would always appreciate corrected information.
PS5 / FS22
RogueRooster

Post by RogueRooster »

Makes sense, especially having identicle tractors, the game loads the first one and then its the same for the second one so your xbox/ps doesn't have to work so hard to figure out what that 2nd tractor looks like, it just copies from the first one. But when it comes to maps, the smaller the better but not so tightly crammed into one space which has me thinking a larger map more spread out would be better
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

For maps it's mostly more hills = better performance, if the maps is ajusted to it, because with hills, the map maker can reduce the distance from where an object will be visible and so the GPU has less work to do.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
RogueRooster

Post by RogueRooster »

If you look at the map as it is now it's too hilly, I'm still learning as I go but wanted to get the console perspective before I get too deep into it and can't revert back to make it friendly to all

EDIT: This is Waaaaaay off topic so I'm ending any talk of my map here.
BostonJohnny1226

Post by BostonJohnny1226 »

I read somewhere that the amount of wheels plays a roll in performance. I think once you hit 164 the game slows down. Thats why they have garages on Pleasant Valley that "remove" whatever you put in them from the game.
traveler87

Post by traveler87 »

Why not release it as an actual DLC? As far as I know Giants has not advertised Horsch as a dlc on their website, (read expansion on modhub). The difference is, it currently is a MOD that counts against console MOD caps. A dlc like big bud is a game update, not a MOD.

Perhaps a better solution would be to release it as an actual dlc instead of a mod. Perhaps there are unseen reasons as to why that wasn't done at first.
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

traveler87 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:02 pm Why not release it as an actual DLC? As far as I know Giants has not advertised Horsch as a dlc on their website, (read expansion on modhub). The difference is, it currently is a MOD that counts against console MOD caps. A dlc like big bud is a game update, not a MOD.

Perhaps a better solution would be to release it as an actual dlc instead of a mod. Perhaps there are unseen reasons as to why that wasn't done at first.
Damnit this shoulda been an option!!
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .